YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm turning mean
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-13 1:40 PM (#96181)
Subject: I'm turning mean

Last night I "yelled" at a couple of my students.

They were talking and not standing at the front of their mat to start class.

Then I told this other girl to stop using her knuckles in downdog.

Then I thought.. wait a second Eric. She might have wrist problems and she did!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-13 2:27 PM (#96184 - in reply to #96181)
Subject: RE: I'm turning mean

Do not worry much. Just go and give a kiss to those students and start all over. I mean be careful while kissing, do not be too serious.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-13 2:56 PM (#96185 - in reply to #96184)

I guess you are right. My friend called me Sergeant this morning, though..

Kiss my students.. ha!

People did thank me aftewards. But I think I lost my patience and got frustrated with them last night. I'm only human, you know...I just get angry with the gum chewing, socks, talking, people walking in late, etc..

Class was wonderful, but if this was the only class you ever had with me, you would think I'm a bit of a jerk.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-13 6:23 PM (#96195 - in reply to #96181)

In my class, a student is supposed to go to headstand only if they are asked to. In one batch, one student was going to headstand, when NOT permited. So, after three repetitions of warning, I made this statement:

If he does other than what I tell, there is NO problem. But, then he will be completely ignored as a part of the class, and if he gets injured or even die, I shall continue the class, while ignoring him.

This way, the student corrected himself.

But, I know there are some others who can achieve the same with loving words.
JYoga
Posted 2007-09-13 7:21 PM (#96199 - in reply to #96181)

I find that being quiet, standing very still, and having a very directed (at the problem creators) and loving look with a wry smile on my face solves the problem while maintaining the air of peace in the class as well as internally for myself. The vast majority of the time the student simply needs to be brought aware as they don't even realize what they're doing. What was it that Jesus said about not knowing what they do?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-13 8:56 PM (#96202 - in reply to #96181)

Expert Yogi

TampaEric - 2007-09-13 1:40 PM

Last night I "yelled" at a couple of my students.

They were talking and not standing at the front of their mat to start class.

Then I told this other girl to stop using her knuckles in downdog.

Then I thought.. wait a second Eric. She might have wrist problems and she did!

....and you thought Bikramites were mean. Sorry Eric, I could NOT resist this one!!
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-13 11:56 PM (#96209 - in reply to #96181)

Hi Eric,

It happens to the best of us at some time.

Even if that student did have wrist problems, I personally wouldn't encourage her to support her weight on her knuckles. It may appear to offer more support but is in fact far less stable and the potential to roll on the wrist and damage it more is much greater.

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 11:30 AM (#96254 - in reply to #96199)

yes, I did look directly at the students in that way.

I think Jesus said that when he was on the cross, right?
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-09-14 11:33 AM (#96255 - in reply to #96199)

JYoga - 2007-09-13 7:21 PM

I find that being quiet, standing very still, and having a very directed (at the problem creators) and loving look with a wry smile on my face solves the problem while maintaining the air of peace in the class as well as internally for myself. The vast majority of the time the student simply needs to be brought aware as they don't even realize what they're doing. What was it that Jesus said about not knowing what they do?

Jesus said, "Forgive them Father, They know not what they do."

Yes Eric, he was on the cross when he said that.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2007-09-14 11:34 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 11:36 AM (#96256 - in reply to #96202)

It was tough. I'm teaching 35-40 college students in a gym environment...
I did treat my students with an iron glove. But they loved it..

But, yes I wondered if you would see this post...
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-14 11:43 AM (#96257 - in reply to #96209)

I'll have to talk to her about it.

*if she comes back!
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-15 11:39 AM (#96313 - in reply to #96181)

TampaEric - 2007-09-13 1:40 PM Last night I "yelled" at a couple of my students. They were talking and not standing at the front of their mat to start class. Then I told this other girl to stop using her knuckles in downdog. Then I thought.. wait a second Eric. She might have wrist problems and she did!

Eric, put yourself in my place, and tell me what you'd do: only three students in the class (all-levels); one student, a virtual first-timer, won't (or can't) move out of plank into downward dog; another starts calling out in class, suggesting other poses that we should practice, because she doesn't "like" the ones I'm teaching. The third student was an experienced student, could and did do all that was taught.

Oh, and then I demonstrated a headstand and fell flat on my a$$.

fechter03
Posted 2007-09-15 6:36 PM (#96318 - in reply to #96256)

Extreme Veteran

TampaEric - 2007-09-14 11:36 AM

It was tough. I'm teaching 35-40 college students in a gym environment...
I did treat my students with an iron glove. But they loved it..

But, yes I wondered if you would see this post...

well that's the problem right there..you're teaching college students, that's normal behaviour for them...and knuckes in down dog?? down dog is not bad on sore wrists unlike plank or chaturanga dandasana.

Posted 2007-09-15 9:32 PM (#96322 - in reply to #96181)

The yoga teacher must practice yoga when tested by students, not just when they do as they are told, surrender, and say "thank you".

It is often said that character is determined in the eye of the storm not the calm of the living room.
Students talking, chewing, doing their own thing, are opportunities for the teacher to practice what they preach. Of course we are all human. But we are human yogis not human waiter and therefore the bar is a bit higher. We are, by our very choices, supposed to be more centered, more grounded, and less reactive than our waiter counterpart.
Kym
Posted 2007-09-19 8:08 PM (#96534 - in reply to #96181)

If someone wants to wear socks, I let them. What if they have a horrid rash and are just now venturing out into the world and you slapped them down? Chewing gum? What possible difference is it to me? Talking-I'm not so great that they can't say a word. And, walking in late-what about the person who had to take her mother to her chemo appt and just had to have yoga, but was running late? You would deny her? People aren't robots and have to be treated with dignity. You would have seriously pissed me off. You are sounding a bit like a diva.
tourist
Posted 2007-09-19 9:36 PM (#96536 - in reply to #96534)

Expert Yogi

Whoa Kym - did you have a bad day? That is pretty harsh. Yes, sometimes people have rashes. If they don't take socks off after it has been announced to the whole class, then they can be quietly asked if there is a reason they won't or can't. Even an answer of "no" with no explanation is fine. Talking is fine to a point. I'll bet you have a point where it is not okay, too. Someone coming in late with a sincere apology is also fine - but not to every class. Everything is a matter of degree and Eric clearly had more of it than he could handle that day.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-09-20 5:09 AM (#96544 - in reply to #96536)

I'd also add that chewing gum *is* an issue, one of safety and hygiene. You could choke if still munching in certain poses and no-one else wants to tread barefoot in the disgusting mess after discarded.

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-20 7:57 AM (#96551 - in reply to #96544)

Expert Yogi

Last night I posted to this forum, I hit the button 3 friggin times and my post didn't go. What's up with that???

Actually, I agree with Kym. My yoga class consisted of mostly elderly women, over 60 and some were well over 70. One lady showed up 30 mins. late, with socks on. It was so cool the way my instructor pulled her into the class. The lady found her spot and blended right on in. The class was not even close to being distracted. It was so nice. My instructor is 60 years old, has been around the yoga block for many years and is a Yoga Professor at the college, who deals with lots of different ages.

I know she is very strict in her college classes, but at the same time, she is reasonable and the kids love her class, which is totally full every semester. There is a saying, "you have to GIVE a little, to GET a little". I think people forget this when they become control nazi freaks, NOT saying you are Eric, but sometimes in today's world, it tends to lean in that direction. Up here in the mountains..we're just laid back folks and we don't have a lot of issues to deal with. Most issues can be simply ignored and just smile..be the example. I think most people who practice yoga understand the etiquette of yoga, but sometimes our lives are very hectic and there needs to be an understanding and forgiveness with each other. There have been times when my life has been like this. Thank God I was able to be late for class cause sometimes it just happens that way. The teachers rule where I go to class, is "come on, get your butt here no matter how late you are". Maybe that attitude comes with having a lot of wisdom, who knows. But, if you want your customers to be happy, don't sweat the small stuff and don't be so strict and rigid. After all, this is Western Yoga...we're not in Kansas (India) anymore,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-20 7:59 AM

Posted 2007-09-20 9:15 AM (#96561 - in reply to #96534)

i have 'yelled' at a student once because i was across the room and she was doing something very dangerous and i said "Sheila! No! get out of that posture now!" scared everyone, because apparently ii have a "gentle voice."

in general, if i am frustrated with teaching, it means it's time for a break. a weekend off or a retreat is a good option for me.

beyond this, i think that there are things that i don't worry about.

I don't worry much about a first timer's alignment. i do give them modifications for everything and make sure that they're 'ok' by asking multiple times.

I don't worry much about students being late. i teach in pretty casual environments, most students come within the first 5-10 minutes. i ask them not to interrupt the Om.

Gum is an issue for me. it is a safety hazard. i don't 'harp' on it, but i do say in the first few classes of the session to remember to turn off cell phones and spit out gum. i tell them that gum is a choking hazard while doing yoga. i do have some students who refuse or routinely forget to spit out their gum before taking class.

i don't care about socks either. i suggest to the student that it's easier to practice without them, and most people discover that in the first 10 minutes and remove them without me even mentioning it. and those who keep them on, it's a real testament to somethin'.

Posted 2007-09-20 9:24 AM (#96562 - in reply to #96181)

oh, and talking in class, i encourage it to a point. there is talking that is distracting to the individual chatting (you know the people who can't handle quiet?) and to those individuals around. i discourage that gently.

but, i do encourage other talking. during certain parts of the class--such as when we're doing a new pose in the sequence or working on arm balances (there is a "choose your own adventure" arm balance section of my intermediate class), i suggest that students talk a bit, ask questions, and so on. there are usually lots of conversations going on. people new to intermediate (there are people in that class who are just in their first year of yoga but know too much to be in the basics class as well as people who have been doing yoga for 7 years with me) tend to watch others, try the basic arm balance, and laugh and talk with other newbies about how "crazy" some of those poses look. advanced ones often 'teach' less advanced ones, showing their own 'tricks' on how to get into and out of those poses carefully. and the 'middle ground' ones often encourage the newbies to keep trying and teach them the basic arm balances (like crow pose).

i also ask questions during class that require some answers--individuals get questions and i'll even ask about their kids, family life, etc, while holding them in an assist of triangle pose for example. i'll ask the group questions about alignment, philosophy, or some other related topics while entering or holding a posture.

and of course, people are welcome to ask questions. often, i'll pose those questions to the group as a whole, and sometimes i'll answer the question myself. usually, it's to the group.

so, in a sense, i encourage talking.
tourist
Posted 2007-09-20 10:20 AM (#96567 - in reply to #96562)

Expert Yogi

Has anyone ever actually died choking on gum? I think it is probably an urban myth. I think the Mythbusters should look into it, but I don't know how they would test it without actually injuring someone...
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-20 10:37 AM (#96572 - in reply to #96534)

It probably appears a lot worse online than it really was.

Everything's fine...

I teach with a certain strictness and I'm not changing. If people don't like it, don't come.

There's plenty of room in this world for all kinds of teachers.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-20 10:50 AM (#96574 - in reply to #96551)
Subject: Not turning mean really..

Nah...

There's a certain point in these large class where if you don't take charge, they take away from the whole environment.

We have rules and size limits and I've been flexible, but you reach a certain point where it is necessary to be strict.

I have sequences that require warm-up. When people are late to class they are not getting the warm up and it is more likely that injuries can happen. There's so much more (mostly good) that happened too. But it isn't really worth going over here...

Honestly, everything is fine.

Posted 2007-09-20 10:53 AM (#96576 - in reply to #96181)

i've had to pull gum out of three mouths/throats.

1. kid in a pool chewing gum; had gag reflex; grabbed him, put him on his back, stuck my finger in and pulled out the gum, told his mother, washed my hands;

2. high school friend who half-swallowed while laughing, got her to sit down, put my finger in and drew out the gum from the back of her mouth/throat, washed my hands, went home;

3. taking a class at a yoga studio, i was placed with the newbies (it was my first time there), the lady next to me started coughing, then looked like she was choking, i asked her if she was, she nodded, i told her to lay down, relax, stuck my finger in the back of her mouth/throat, pulled out the gum, washed my hands, then continued with class (both of us).

so, yeah, it happens. and it's not fun. i'm not very pro gum except when taking off and landing on an air plane.

Posted 2007-09-20 10:56 AM (#96577 - in reply to #96181)

i wasn't concerned that everything wasn't fine.

i'm considered a very strict teacher too--compared to a lot of people. in fact, it's probably the biggest criticism i get from teachers here. i teach alignment, i expect good form, i expect the right kind of attitude in class, etc. but, i'm also linient.

and there are classes that require warm up, but people who come to those know the warm up so they do that and then jump in when we're starting a new 'section' (right side first, or what have you).
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)