YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Managing stress
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

sktegta
Posted 2007-09-17 9:55 PM (#96420)
Subject: Managing stress

Self realization is the process by which any human being can realize his real self. And what does this real self mean? It means that our soul (atman) within our body which is the real self within every being (and for that matter every living being) reaches the fag end of its cosmic life. The modern lifestyle is laden with stress; resulting in high blood pressure , hypertention, diabetese, cardiac prroblems etc. A slight rescheduling of daily routine will help in understanding the real self...... and live a stress free life with more performance and output.
More information is available at http//www.atmabodh.net
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-09-18 2:03 AM (#96425 - in reply to #96420)
Subject: RE: Managing stress

How ironic. A blantant self-promotion (which was duplicate posted in another section) and the poster has gotten their own url wrong. Divine intervention, methinks.

Had they actually got the syntax correct you'de have been whisked to a site thaat does not identiy it's publisher, author, or supporters and violates several web standards in its very design as the text runs on about 5 pages deep.

You have graciously been spared.
yogaismydrug
Posted 2007-10-28 11:13 PM (#98781 - in reply to #96420)

Dealing with stress is something that people do in many different ways. For me i find writing in a journal very relaxing and relieving for myself. At the end of a long day it is nice to reflect by writing down how you are feeling and how you dealt with different things that came at you throughout the day.

Does anyone have any other ways of managing stress? I would love to hear.
layogi
Posted 2008-09-30 10:49 PM (#111137 - in reply to #96425)

you are witty lol

Posted 2008-10-03 5:16 PM (#111214 - in reply to #98781)

yogaismydrug - 2007-10-28 8:13 PM

Dealing with stress is something that people do in many different ways. For me i find writing in a journal very relaxing and relieving for myself. At the end of a long day it is nice to reflect by writing down how you are feeling and how you dealt with different things that came at you throughout the day.

Does anyone have any other ways of managing stress? I would love to hear.

I think that the best way to manage stress is awareness. It is quite simple to relax the mind and stretch and release body tension if you are only releasing today's tension. For most people, the challange is how to get rid of residual mental and physical tension. We hold tension from the past in our minds, with our emotions and with our bodies, especially our muscles. (Many health problems are a result of this.) Meditation (or just sitting quietly and breathing) is useful for releasing and letting go of residual mental and emotional tension and asana is good for releasing stored physical tension. Asana practice can also be a meditation.

The relationship between awareness and current stress is simple. If you are aware of physical or mental/emotional stress, simply breathe, stretch and let it go. Cats and dogs do this throughout their day and so should we. DO NOT SAVE YOUR STRESS! LET IT GO!

One thing to remember when trying to let go of past stress is that you must let go of your attachment to the good things from the past as well as the bad things. Either you let go of your attachment to the past or you mentally/emotionally/physically hold on to it. You cannot actually let the past go as it is what you are now (it is part of you), but you can let your emotional attachment to the past go. This relieves a lot of residual stress.

Being aware of your sympathetic and para-sympathetic nervous systems and their function can also help. (The sympathetic nervous system is the fight or flight system and the para-sympathetic nervous system is the rest and digest system.) Whenever you are under stress, the sympathetic nervous system is stimulated and your blood pressure and pulse increase, you start to breathe faster and more shallow, your muscles tense, your digestive, reproductive and immune systems turn off etc and you get ready to fight the tiger or run for your life. Unfortunately, due to modern life and residual stress, many people are constantly in this state. We all need to learn to balance our sympathetic and our para-sympathetic nervous systems. These are NOT antagonistic systems, they are actually complimentary. They are the accelerator and the brake and are both necessary, but need to be used appropriately.

Another problem with the accumulation of stress is that too much stresses us out. The problem is not that we respond with our sympathetic nervous systems when our lives depend on it or when we actually need to, but rather that we respond that way when our thoughts, beliefs, or self-images are felt to be threatened, out of greed, or when we are dealing with memories and prejudices, and not actual present physical danger. We can minimize this by letting go of our emotional attachment to our thoughts, beliefs, identifications and self-images. Without emotional attachment, they are not percieved to be threatened and our body/mind will not react by stimulating the sympathetic nervous system.

It is a good idea to practice awareness during your yoga asana practice where you pay special attention to physical, emotional and mental stress and blockages. It is a good idea because as you become more aware during your practice, you can take that skill off the mat and use it in your daily life. Once you are aware of stress, you can release it. If you don't, it will accumulate and your health and happiness will suffer.

Cyndi
Posted 2008-10-04 9:33 AM (#111221 - in reply to #96420)

Expert Yogi

There is also a thing called "good" stress and "bad" stress...to manage them both, it's all about learning the art of BALANCE.

I enjoy everything I do. However, when I do too many things, I start becoming stressed. I did this yesterday. When I took several deep breathes, walked outside and sat on a bench outside my store, drank a latte....then I went back in and tackled all my chores. It was a great day and I got some important tasks done.

It's also about rest. When you are rested your chi/prana is rejunivated and therefore you are able to start each day fresh. I also like to add to this...you can start each moment fresh, when you are rested. Fifteen mins of dedicated and sincere meditation can do lots of things for the human body. Which is about emptying the mind completely and allowing yourself to be present.

I don't write anything down in any kind of journal, because there is no point in it for me. I'm trying to let go and forget about it...move on. This seems like another task to me. I only keep the important things in my mind and I forget the rest. I'm also a multi-tasker kind of person and have to manage my time skillfully. When I get home, I pop open a bottle of vino, eat some good food and spend quality time with myself and/or my family...or a good movie...or lately I was enjoying "The Closer" and "Californication" is back...horray! But, that's my thing, it may not bee for you.
Best wishes

Edited by Cyndi 2008-10-04 9:38 AM
lakshmishegar
Posted 2008-10-31 3:25 AM (#111707 - in reply to #96425)

Hi Purnayoga,

I found your sites to have useful information. I would like to know if yoga can manage stress levels. I just started practicing Yoga.

Thanks,
joe Hari um
Posted 2008-11-13 6:00 PM (#111917 - in reply to #111137)

Sanaging Stress
Yoga will definately help. Important to practice in a quiet and comfortable place. Plan your
pattern of asnas before hand if you practice alone. My practice depends on how I feel on a particular day. Finish a practice with a half hour of yoga nidra. If you are not familiar with this
you can get a good CD from your yoga store. I know a fifty five year old business man who
suffered from serious stress/cardiac problems that was referred to do just yoga nidra. He was not allowed to do the asnas because of his medical condition.
joe Hari um
Posted 2008-11-13 6:01 PM (#111918 - in reply to #111137)

Handling Stress
Yoga will definately help. Important to practice in a quiet and comfortable place. Plan your
pattern of asnas before hand if you practice alone. My practice depends on how I feel on a particular day. Finish a practice with a half hour of yoga nidra. If you are not familiar with this
you can get a good CD from your yoga store. I know a fifty five year old business man who
suffered from serious stress/cardiac problems that was referred to do just yoga nidra. He was not allowed to do the asnas because of his medical condition.
jenny
Posted 2009-02-18 3:23 AM (#113750 - in reply to #96420)
Subject: Re: Managing stress

I thought I have just posted on another topic for managing stress ;)

But I guess, no harm done sharing it again.

I am an avid follower of Silva Method.

The idea is to relax and immerse ourselves in Alpha stage.
In alpha stage then we hypnotize ourselves to reduce our
stress.

They have a free audio bonus for this, here you the direct
link. Let me know if you enjoy it ;)

http://silvalifesystem.s3.amazonaws.com/bonus/stressmang.mp3

Best Regards

Jenny
lakshmishegar
Posted 2009-02-21 6:28 AM (#113827 - in reply to #96420)

Hi Froum,

Try it "serenity" a music meditation cd, that helps to releave stress. You can download a free sample at www.meditationsolution.com.

Thanks,
Alex
john
Posted 2009-02-27 3:21 AM (#113963 - in reply to #113827)

There is no simple answer to the question "How can I manage stress?"
People vary in their intellectual and emotional makeup.
For some, lying down, listening to serene music, doing slow-breathing may be helpful, but for others this may not help.
I'm more analytical: I analyse the stress and look at it from every angle in my mind's eye.
Then I can ask some more precise questions regarding the stress, such as: Is it perhaps good for me rather than bad? How long has it existed, how long will it last, and is it getting worse or better...so can I not just put up with it for a bit longer? Is there any way I can avoid it completely, or reduce its intensity? Are there things that I'm doing in my life that might be making it worse, and can I change any of them? How much of the stress syndrome is due to the the way I am responding to events that are really just part of life and therefore to be expected - and am I able to alter the way I respond? Is the syndrome constitutional (just the way I'm made) and is it within my power to alter my makeup...or not? Can anybody else help - friend, family, counsellor, bank manager, colleague, doctor etc?
Once these questions have been explored some helpful answers may be forthcoming.
But the answers may not always be helpful - perhaps some will and some won't.
Doing yoga asanas can be challenging and it can take a very long time to improve strength and flexibility but working daily at asanas is one way of demonstrating to oneself that improvement is within one's grasp and that can bring a sense of control and purpose-achieving which can usefully occupy brain-space rather than stress.
Doing breathing exercises may help some people - but not everybody.
health & wellness
Posted 2010-06-07 5:58 AM (#123372 - in reply to #96420)

Stress is something that nowadays became an inseparable part of our lives. But what is important to know is that many people misunderstand the meaning of STRESS. Stress by itself is not something negative. When on your birthday you receive a gift, that you've been waiting for a long time - you also have a stress, stress with sign''+''. The negative meaning of stress is DISTRESS. Distress is the right meaning for all our nervous situations with the sign "-". So, talking about stress - it is not always a bad thing, and sometimes it brings new emotions and positive experience into our lives.
MelSilversmith
Posted 2010-06-08 3:31 PM (#123404 - in reply to #96420)

One has to deal with the cause of stress. I believe without acknowledging the cause, a remedy is not going to succeed. I am a working person and work builds up stress thus I try to be more organized in the work place so as to reduce stress. I also discipline myself on meeting deadlines and scheduling conferences so that I am prepared. To avoid reasons to be stressed is the best approach for me.
health & wellness
Posted 2010-06-11 7:01 AM (#123464 - in reply to #96420)

Another great tool to control and reduce stress is breathing technique. One of the simplest ways to calm down the stress is to breath deeply and slowly. Repeat it several times per day and you should feel much better.

The other way, how you can try to help yourself to reduce stress during the day, is meditation. Take few minutes in the morning; lie down or sit down and just relax. Try not to think about anything, but just relax and feel the energy, that will help you during the whole day.

Marina_J
Posted 2010-09-29 4:17 AM (#125267 - in reply to #96420)

Really wonderful piece of information and I appreciate it that you share something so useful with the readers of. Thank you.

Posted 2010-09-29 5:53 AM (#125272 - in reply to #96420)

I do think that Hatha Yoga can aid tremendously with stress issues. But, generally, I feel it should be a supplement to counseling and support groups, rather than a replacement. I think, ideally, spiritual practices alone can heal stress without the support of psychology and its techniques. However, in my opinion, one must have extensive experience in spiritual practices to have that level of mastery. And, of course, if one had that level of mastery, one would not be stressed to begin with.

To reduce stress, I think that the physical work of Hatha Yoga can help a great deal. One should also be very regular with medical check-ups, eat well, sleep well, and etc. And then, again, into the counseling and support groups. And, of course, into prayer and meditation. Some of these meditations can be specific to relaxation and reducing stress.

Namaste
vibes
Posted 2010-10-20 4:52 AM (#125628 - in reply to #125272)

Extreme Veteran

All very good points! Thanks for the common sense and wisdom!

Posted 2010-11-22 4:36 AM (#126186 - in reply to #96420)

Yes you are absolutely true today we are so busy in making our future that we don't get time to relax also. So this problem are coming to us. I think yoga is really works to relax if you do at least half an hour also.
barry.marksman
Posted 2010-11-29 3:45 PM (#126273 - in reply to #96420)

New User

Yoga is good for our health if we do yoga regularly in our life than it is better and good for us.There so many yoga teaching classes in the world they giving proper information about the yoga.how to yoga that they are teaching.And the major thing is it will help in minting ou r body and stress.

Posted 2011-01-07 4:46 AM (#126826 - in reply to #96420)

It seems that you guys have lots of fantastic ideas. Thanks very much.
jimcarter
Posted 2011-03-30 1:39 AM (#208002 - in reply to #96420)

The following are basic yoga practices that must be done on a daily basis:

1. Sun Salutations.

People who are too busy to exercise can spend only a few minutes performing this ritual. It stimulates the muscles and joints. It is a series of 12 non-stop poses that go together with proper breathing. This may be done twice a day or more.

2. Breath Control.

This is the most popular part of Yoga. It is done by sitting erect in the place chosen by the person for Yoga meditation alone. It is usually a place that is free from noise and preferably close to nature.

3. Meditation.

Refers to mentally repeating ‘So” and “Ham” with every inhale and exhale respectively. It is one of the simplest practices in Yoga and works for everyone.

4. Sun Salutation, Breath control, and Meditation combined.

Combining these simple practices is great for beginners. This can be done for at least 3 minutes every morning or late afternoon. Doing this regularly can naturally expand the Yoga practices.

Perhaps losing weight and attaining inner peace is the most sensible goal a person can achieve. It not only guarantees a positive aura and great appearance, it also offers psychological benefits that cause people to feel good about themselves.
parkaratkinson
Posted 2011-06-30 7:22 AM (#208825 - in reply to #96420)

I love the almost all the post and reply. Yoga is really nice trick to get rid of stress. It is good form of stress busters.
rubertnrubert
Posted 2011-07-28 7:51 PM (#208986 - in reply to #96420)

Stress is not good health. You should do Yoga and meditation to reduce it. Take little break between work. think positive. Do exercises. Keep walking to reduce it. Enjoy your life on vacation and take it in 3 to 4 months duration.
shanwallan
Posted 2011-08-19 7:54 PM (#209086 - in reply to #96420)

I have to say that health is wealth for every human being and I would like to say that you have to do yoga for reduce the stress and it is the formost enemies of human being.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)