YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pressur on arms: shoulderstand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

minerva11
Posted 2007-09-19 9:19 AM (#96503)
Subject: Pressur on arms: shoulderstand

i love shoulderstand but feel alot of pressure on my elbows (which i cant yet tuck in far enough) and also on my hands and wrists. anyone else know what i'm talking about?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-19 9:26 AM (#96507 - in reply to #96503)
Subject: RE: Pressur on arms: shoulderstand

Hi Annie,

Welcome to the forum.

In Iyengar Yoga we recommend using a belt around the upper arms in shoulder stand to maintain their alignment.

You may also want to practise arm movements like reverse namaste, cow face hands or eagle hands to loosen up those shoulders, though obviously don't practise them while in shoulder-stand

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-09-19 10:11 AM (#96509 - in reply to #96503)
Subject: RE: Pressur on arms: shoulders

Expert Yogi

Oh woe, the many trials and tribulations of shoulder stand! It is a tough pose and many people work on it for a lifetime or two (or in my case 5 or 6, I think... ). Do you use blankets to support your shoulders and upper arms? That is another Iyengar system aid that many find helpful. It is good to work on the upper arm action with your feet on the floor. Learn to press down into the support with the whole upper arm - elbow to shoulder. Good luck!

Posted 2007-09-24 2:46 AM (#96806 - in reply to #96503)
Subject: RE: Pressur on arms: shoulderstand

More information about you, the pose, and your practice please.

Otherwise the short answer is to work prep poses and actions that will open the shoulders first such that the arms are properly placed. Of course keeping the feet at the wall instead of coming up in the fulll pose is warranted when the student is not able to bring the arms (foundation) to the proper point due to anatomical restriction or limits in range of motion.

Since the foundation of the pose is primarily in the arms there should be a grounding, contact, and action from the elbows through the triceps, up to the posterior deltoids.

minerva11 - 2007-09-19 6:19 AM

i love shoulderstand but feel alot of pressure on my elbows (which i cant yet tuck in far enough) and also on my hands and wrists. anyone else know what i'm talking about?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-09-24 2:48 AM

Posted 2007-09-24 4:34 PM (#96836 - in reply to #96509)
Subject: RE: Pressur on arms: shoulders

tourist - 2007-09-19 10:11 AM

Do you use blankets to support your shoulders and upper arms? That is another Iyengar system aid that many find helpful.

Although they are sometimes beneficial, I am personally not a big fan of using props unless really needed to do even a modified form of a pose. For me the exception is shoulderstand and plow. Most people really NEED a blanket or other device to raise their shoulders so that there isn't too much stress on the back of the neck. Using a blanket will change some of the angles and may alter how this pose feels and the resulting pressure. Also, what about half shoulderstand instead of full shoulderstand?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)