YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

neel or anyone else
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-19 12:03 PM (#96516)
Subject: neel or anyone else

neel, it seems that you have trained under a respected guru a couple of times. I was wondering if you could describe the flow to the morning practice, including things like eating, time of waking, asanas, meditation, shower etc..
in my current routin I take a shower before poses and meditation and was thinking that maybe this "wakes" me up too much instead of letting the mind be more still and starting my asanas and meditation and taking the shower at a latter time.

I am really interested in what the yogi's a few thousand years ago did in their routine, does not mean I will adapt all of it, but just currios to see

I have been going to someone who is more "traditional" and is a yoga "professor" but names and titles dont mean much to me but his intentions and knowlege seem well. he directed me to the Hathapradipika as a more traditional text so it has sparked my interest more towards the roots.
thanks for you time neel or anyone else
with love
seeker

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-19 12:24 PM (#96517 - in reply to #96516)
Subject: RE: neel or anyone else

Hi Tubeseeker,

Physical (and mental) cleanliness are important qualities to develop in your practise.

I would recommend wake - shower - prayer - asana - meditate.

Then if you're sweaty, shower again.

Jonathon
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-19 3:17 PM (#96522 - in reply to #96516)

thanks johnathon
that makes sense, so we remove the toxins that have come to the surface during the night? while we sleep the body is in elimination phase?

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-09-19 3:23 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-19 3:53 PM (#96524 - in reply to #96516)

tubeseeker - 2007-09-19 12:03 PM

neel, it seems that you have trained under a respected guru a couple of times.
===> I was blessed to be born in a pious family. So, I needed training only once, but for a long time!

I was wondering if you could describe the flow to the morning practice, including things like eating, time of waking, asanas, meditation, shower etc.. in my current routin I take a shower before poses and meditation and was thinking that maybe this "wakes" me up too much instead of letting the mind be more still and starting my asanas and meditation and taking the shower at a latter time.
===> I do not wish to impose my routine on others, so I am not going to describe my routine. But, I can give a general opinion. I would avoid all eating in the morning until lunch time. If you are addicted to tea/coffee, then take a cup of it. As for shower, shower has nothing to do with Asanas, unless you are doing them a lot. If you are doing them a lot, you should give small time gap after asanas to take shower. If your system is such that taking shower before asana makes asana practice better, then you might take one shower before asana. If you are doing a traditional mantram prayers, then you should take shower before them. It applies only to specific mantrams and pujas or your personal preference. As for meditation and asanas, I shall do them when I am fresh and relaxed, so I shall acheive the later first. Whether you do one of these first and the other second, does not matter, I believe.

I am really interested in what the yogi's a few thousand years ago did in their routine, does not mean I will adapt all of it, but just currios to see.
===> Thousands of years ago, yogis mainly did meditation and very little asana exercise.

I have been going to someone who is more "traditional" and is a yoga "professor" but names and titles dont mean much to me but his intentions and knowlege seem well. he directed me to the Hathapradipika as a more traditional text so it has sparked my interest more towards the roots.
===> You have to know: why you are going to someone, what you want from that one, and whether you are ready to take it, and whether you actually use it, and what you think of that one, all these will play a role in the success of your practice.

thanks for you time neel or anyone else
with love
seeker

fechter03
Posted 2007-09-20 12:21 AM (#96543 - in reply to #96516)

Extreme Veteran

Neel, why do you suggest not eating until lunch time??
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-20 7:32 AM (#96547 - in reply to #96543)

Eating should follow hunger. In general, a person who has completed rest at night should not be hungry in the morning. And, if one eats, then that itself is one activity which shall start digestion of food, etc. This activity conflicts with asana and meditation if one is serious about the later ones. If one is doing a small amount of meditation, even big food does not make difference, as is done in temples/churches/office-meetings many a times!

fechter03 - 2007-09-20 12:21 AM

Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-20 7:35 AM (#96548 - in reply to #96543)

Expert Yogi

fechter03 - 2007-09-20 12:21 AM

Sounds totally opposite from what the nutrition experts say huh Fechter??

Actually, I can't stand to eat big amounts of food first thing in the morning. When you first wake up your body is so energized from sleep. Neel's right, your body (I should say a healthy person, but then again that would be incorrect, because an unhealthy person should not be eating lots of food) does not need food first thing in the morning. Contrary to popular nutritionist beliefs. I'm excluding persons that do heavy labor and working on the farm. That's a totally different matter. Most of us don't do that kind of labor. That's the perfect time to meditate and do yoga asanas. Everything is clear...specially after that first bowel movement of the day. If you eat a bunch of food, might was well forget it. If you can't make it till lunch, eat toast or light oatmeal. If you have a job and are a working person, probably should fuel your body so you can be a workerbee. Although...even when I'm working, I eat light, because I get more work done that way. I also get more work done with a cup of chai as well. I also work from home mostly, so it's not like I need a lot of fuel either. Honestly, HONEY is suffiencient for me in the morning...with a banana.

Then on days when I'm doing yoga in the afternoon, I eat regular lunch, and wait 3 hours.

I think everyone should adjust to their body's needs. It really depends on how much activity you do and how much you don't do. Eat when your hungry, making sure you are eating balanced meals. Usually over time when you establish these habits and routines, your body also adjusts and settles in. My TCMD always used to say, "only eat till your 1/2 to 3/4 full". It's a good rule of thumb. Over eating is such a bad wasteful habit. In order to balance yourself, you have to TRAIN and DISCIPLINE yourself first.

My problem right now is this. I'm planning a trip to Italy in early January for 3 weeks. My diet and routine is going to be blown to hell. I adore Italian food and wine. The good news is that my family is Nepali and they cook in Italy with their culture mindset, using a blend of Itali/Nepali flare. So, this should be quite interesting. I'm going to try my darndest to be good, because I don't want to have any health issues while I'm there.

Also, I have cured many health ailments from simply NOT eating and fasting. You'd be so surprised how much the human body has to over-work itself to digest food. Most of the food eaten in the common western diet is very difficult to digest. I've been to Neelbhai's home and believe me, his diet routine is very healthy. It's similar to mine, except I probably tend to eat more sweets (I'm also not an every day vegetarian...I'm part time vegetarian) than Neel...because I am Cyndibee and need more energy than he does,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-20 7:44 AM

Posted 2007-09-20 8:48 AM (#96558 - in reply to #96516)

my main thing is listening to my body.

i can't eat for at least an hour after getting up, sometimes two. then, it's a small breakfast (yogurt, nuts, berries, tea). if i'm having 'big breakfast' of eggs, veggies, juice, water, and tea, then i have to wait 3-4 hours after getting up and not have a little breakfast before hand.

but, after the first meal, i typically have to eat every 3-4 hours to keep blood sugar levels even. they don't have to be big meals (usually aren't), but they do have to be regular.

and the other aspects of my routine:

wake, eliminate; wash face, hands, and mouth; do asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra, and contemplation; shower, dress, eat. the whole process (if i include time eating) takes 2 hours.

Edited by zoebird 2007-09-20 8:55 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-20 10:45 AM (#96573 - in reply to #96516)

Just for my benefit: ZB: This eating every three hours to keep sugar level even - Is this practiced for a long time? Or is it recent? Did it start for any particular reason?

Posted 2007-09-20 11:04 AM (#96580 - in reply to #96516)

pretty much ever since i was a kid/teen. usually 3 meals and 1-2 snacks. most everything is small in quantity. and some days, i go without (fast, though i'm currently not fasting ), and some days i only need 3 meals.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-20 11:36 AM (#96583 - in reply to #96580)

ZB, when you talk about fasting, you still drink water, right? Because the only fasting I know from is as is done for Yom Kippur: 25 hours of no food, no drink, nothing.

Posted 2007-09-20 12:13 PM (#96589 - in reply to #96516)

i have done 'total fasts' which also exclude water, but i typically don't do those.

to me, there seems to be two reasons for fasting: 1. health; and 2. spiritual. these are commonly 'health' fasts: 24 total or liquid only fasts, raw food fasts, fruit fasts, juice fasts. these are commonly 'spiritual fasts': forgoing certain foods (such as "meatless fridays" in catholicism) for a period of time, consecutive day fasting (having a simple Am meal before sunrise and a simple PM meal after sunset, common for Ramadan), 24 hour fasting with liquids, and total fasts.

commonly, i practice 24 hr fasting for health and for spiritual reasons. sometimes it's planned, and that makes it usually for spiritual reasons. if it's not planned, then it's for spiritual reasons.

24 hr fasting works thus--i do not eat between the last meal of the nite before and the meal of that day's evening. i do drink water and sometimes tea. usually the last meal of the day before is simple (veggies) and then the meal that i have is also simple (veggies). a salad or steamed veggies is most common for me.

jonnie
Posted 2007-09-20 12:42 PM (#96591 - in reply to #96516)

In Hinduism there is a fast taken twice in the lunar cycle (approx twice a month) called Ekadasi.

This involves observing a waterless fast from sunset on the day before Ekadasi until 48 minutes after sunrise on the day following ekadasi.

Jonathon

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-20 12:48 PM (#96593 - in reply to #96591)

Thank you both for the information!
Nick
Posted 2007-09-20 2:43 PM (#96604 - in reply to #96593)

The last fast I did, about fifteen years ago, was twenty one days-that's enough to last me a lifetime!

Nick
fechter03
Posted 2007-09-20 8:51 PM (#96627 - in reply to #96548)

Extreme Veteran

Cyndi - 2007-09-20 7:35 AM

that's exactly why i asked.. these are also the same "nutrition experts" that live and die with their ridiculous BMI index..and dont get me started on that!!!

i think different things work for different people..that's why we're all different. if i don't eat early before going to work i'll easily get a headache well before lunchtime. i do however, believe that we (westerners) eat way more than we need to.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-20 10:37 PM (#96628 - in reply to #96604)

I bow down to you for this.

Nick - 2007-09-20 2:43 PM

The last fast I did, about fifteen years ago, was twenty one days-that's enough to last me a lifetime!

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-09-21 4:00 AM (#96645 - in reply to #96628)

Hi Neel,
Never again! It's always the first three days of the fast that is difficult for me, then my head clears up, then after seven days or so it gets difficult again for a couple of days. I think there's a number of reasons for this, but the last seven days are a breeze, in comparison.

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-21 8:37 AM (#96659 - in reply to #96516)

Is that when you came to know all your anotomical knowledge. In 1999, I did a 25 days fast by building from 1 day at time to 10 days over 6 years. There is no question that the FAST does a great job.

Of course, now I am much more moderate in my eating habits and also in fasts.

In other words, I am not fast now.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-21 8:49 AM (#96664 - in reply to #96659)

Expert Yogi

God I hate those "white knuckle" several day fasts, YUCK!!!

In Hindu culture, and I'm mostly referring to the Nepali/Hindu culture...there are so many ways to fast. Alot of women do fasting until you see the moon on selective festivals and special days. There are some fasts that are done for the family, husbands, etc. There was a recent Nepali one called Teej. This was for the husband and is celebrated by women. Fasting is not only about food, you can still fast by drinking chai and eating certain fruit. Like, I can still have honey when I am fasting,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-21 9:01 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-21 8:56 AM (#96665 - in reply to #96627)

Expert Yogi

fechter03 - 2007-09-20 8:51 PM

Cyndi - 2007-09-20 7:35 AM

that's exactly why i asked.. these are also the same "nutrition experts" that live and die with their ridiculous BMI index..and dont get me started on that!!!

Yea, I don't want to get started on that one either,

i think different things work for different people..that's why we're all different. if i don't eat early before going to work i'll easily get a headache well before lunchtime. i do however, believe that we (westerners) eat way more than we need to.

The working class need fuel for their body's...see my post. It's a totally different matter. OTOH, I work at home and can eat very little. Sometimes, I forget to eat. Having my daughter around to remind me is a good thing.

Although...last night, she cooked dinner. We had Kraft Organic Macaroni & Cheese, the White Cheese Shells variety. That's was it, just the mac & cheese. Made with Soy Milk.

The day before, we had steamed millet with sweet potatoes and Subzi. Subzi is the famous Nepali dish, Cauliflower & Potatoes. This is my favorite. I like it when my husband uses Methi (fenugreek). That was the only food I ate that day.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)