YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why?? please HELP!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

lmc148
Posted 2007-09-19 4:24 PM (#96528)
Subject: Why?? please HELP!!

I'm a college student and I was assigned to do a research paper on a hobby I was interested in and why other like it. Can anyone tell me any specific reasons why yoga was a hobby they decided to try. Any reasons would be helpful! Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-19 4:44 PM (#96531 - in reply to #96528)
Subject: RE: Why?? please HELP!!

Expert Yogi

Yoga a hobby??? That's a good one...in fact, that's the best one I've ever heard. Sorry, Beekeeping is my hobby...although....it's also my yoga too,
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-21 2:31 PM (#96689 - in reply to #96528)

ehh,

Hobby, I don't know, Yoga may start out like that for some folks but that's not what Yoga is.

Yoga as a hobby is trying it out, not really doing it, or living it.

So, the reason I started doing yoga was I saw a book, I read it, my house mate was a teacher who'd studied with some of the internationally known folks, and I've been studying ever since.

The whole physical therapy side of Yoga is what kept me so interested, because I was physically falling apart when I started.

It's 16 years later and I'm finally living within my means and I'm good with that.
YoginiGrigs
Posted 2007-09-24 8:37 PM (#96844 - in reply to #96528)

Like the previous posters have said, yoga for most practitioners is not a hobby like sewing or woodworking. Yoga may start out as a general curiosity, but yoga is a lifestyle.

Before you write you paper, I would do some general research about the philosophy of yoga. You will discover that yoga is not simply asana practice (the poses and movements the general public is most familiar with), there is much more.

I was a member of a book club, and was browsing through my monthly mailing, and came across a section on yoga. This was in 1999 I think, so yoga was beginning to get more popular, but in the Ohio college town I lived in, it wasn't very accessible. I bought Cindy Lee's Om Yoga in a Box. I had heard of yoga and thought it would be something I'd like. I have since stuck with my asana practice, and learned much more about yogic philosophy.

The reasons people "do" yoga are so diverse, you might end up with more information than you expected!

I continue to study and practice yoga because it balances my mind and body. I have gained a greater reverence for the earth and all of the beings on it. I am more conscious about who I am, and how closely related I am to my fellow living things. Those are just a few reasons that I personally have for maintaining a yoga lifestyle.

And if indeed yoga is something you're interested in, I wish you the best on your journey!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)