YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pain in the b... (literally)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tmarques
Posted 2007-09-20 11:56 PM (#96640)
Subject: Pain in the b... (literally)

A couple of months ago I was feeling rather elongated - and cocky - towards the end of my practice so I decided to try Hanumanasa, which I hadn't attempted in several weeks.

The pose is easier for me with the left leg extended forward, so I thought it was safe to remove my hands from the floor. As soon as my hips touched the floor, I felt a sharp pain around my right sitting bone. It wasn't that bad, but it got worse later that day.

I've hurt my sciatic nerves more times than I care to count doing yoga, so I thought it would go away if I took it easy for a few days, but it's still there 2 months later. Not as bad, and not as conspicuous, but even simple poses like Uttanasana will flare it up. Most of the time it's perfectly tolerable, but I almost had to bite my tongue the other day when lifting a student in Sarvangasana.

Worse, I commute, so driving can become very painful after the first 45 minutes or so, and I have to lean on my left sitting bone, which can't be good for the spine.

Could it be anything other than sciatica? I almost contemplated going to a doctor, but... well, suffice to say I don't have a great track record with them.

Any advice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-21 3:59 AM (#96644 - in reply to #96640)
Subject: RE: Pain in the b... (literally)

I'd visit your local osteopath/chiropractor and see what they say. If it is a trapped nerve, then they should be able to release it fairly easy.

If your gluteus muscles have seized up/gone into spasm (I'll leave all the technical stuff to Gordon and NicK) then I usually take a simple cross legged position and stretch forward, maybe using a block or bolster for support if I'm really tight.

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-09-21 9:37 AM (#96669 - in reply to #96640)
Subject: RE: Pain in the b... (literall

Expert Yogi

Torn hamstrings will hurt like that. BTDT, though from a poorly executed trikonasana, not hanumanasana. A little mundane on my part They take looooooong time to heal and you have to be very patient.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-21 12:38 PM (#96678 - in reply to #96669)
Subject: RE: Pain in the b... (literall

Sounds like a torn hamstring to me too.

It can be a long road.

It happened to me after a long plane ride. I was in downdog (three legged dog with the right leg up) We jumped from there into standing splits. And oops.. there it was. This happened the night before teacher training with David Swenson.

What can I say: get massage, do not go past your edge (that will change everyday), do not seek a magical stretch to cure it. The blood flow there is different.

To this day my left side is not identical to my right. I can do hanuman, with left leg out, but I have trouble bringing right foot to me head. I know that sounds extreme, but I used to be just as flexible if not more so on the left.

I know one teacher that went on vacation and stopped yoga for 1 week and it was much better.

the danger is reinjuring the area and creating permanent damage. I learned the hard way and I hope you have a safe recovery.

There was a quote I read on another message board that I found amusing.
"I've never had any injuries, but I had some catastrophic openings..."

Sincerely,

Eric

Posted 2007-09-21 12:40 PM (#96679 - in reply to #96640)
Subject: RE: Pain in the b... (literally)

Could be irritation of the bursa at the ischial tuberosity as a result of the overdoing in Hanumanasana.
Could also be the hamstring attachment that's been yanked. All three hamstrings attach at the ischial tuberosity. I suppose this is technically a "hamstring pull" though it is not felt in the belly of the muscle(s).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)