YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching frustrations at 6 mos
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

joyfulflow
Posted 2007-09-21 1:11 PM (#96680)
Subject: Teaching frustrations at 6 mos

Hello everyone,
I regularly read this forum but this is my first post. I am a vinyasa yoga teacher who has been teaching at a small studio for about six months (and my background is 11 years of vinyasa flow and traditional ashtanga yoga).

I love teaching and I put a lot of effort into planning my classes and making it "an experience" for everyone. I also teach in a small town, and my studio's classes average only around 5-6 students per class (my own teacher is extremely popular, however, and regularly "packs the room" at around 12-14 per class). However, my class tends to be around 3-4 and there have been a couple of times now that no one has shown up at all.

I know that I shouldn't take this personally. I'm a fairly new teacher and I'm also teaching at a late hour (past the prime spots) on the schedule. Most of the students tell me regularly how great the class was and is, and I have a close friend who also attends who gives me honest feedback (I trust her on this) and it is also overwhelmingly positive. Still, there's always the little voice that tells you that you suck, and I have gone home feeing pretty lousy the few times that no one has come.

The other thing that frustrates me is that there are very few who come frequently enough to really start seeing the results (mentally and physically) from yoga. My class is only once a week but ideally they come regularly and also practice some at home -- and I don't think I have a single one who does. Again, the little voice sometimes pops up and tells me it's kind of a futile effort at times. How can I teach them anything when they don't practice it?

I am wondering if any of you more experienced teachers have any insight to offer on these things. I love teaching and even if only one person comes and leaves feeling much better than when they came in, then that to me is a success. And if I see progress, that's also a success. But I feel I have so much more to offer than what people are getting from me and I guess I just need a little encouragement. I didn't really expect large classes and a devoted following right out of the starting gate, but at the same time, I want to feel I'm giving people something they value.

I worry that poor self-esteem will cause me to let sometimes bad teaching experiences color my own practice, and I also worry that I'll end up quitting over things that may resolve themselves in time and may be normal -- I just don't know what to expect. (And usually I'm far more positive than this -- it's just that last night was one of those nights that nobody came, and I had been so excited about the class I'd planned).

Thank you for your time; I always appreciate the advice I read here, even if I don't post (I will now, however)!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-09-21 2:21 PM (#96688 - in reply to #96680)
Subject: RE: Teaching frustrations at 6 mos

Well it is certainly appropriate to consider your teaching style, your approach, your language, your methods, and your effect on the students. This is appropriate whether you've been teaching six months or six years, whether you are a vinyasa teacher or a Viniyoga teacher, whether your classes are packed or empty.

However, once you've considered these things and ruled on them, let them go. Consider your teaching. Record your class. Vidoe tape it if need be. Evaluate it and if there's change that is needed, implement it. If in the evaluation you are on target and change is not needed (at this time becasue surely change will come if you teach long enough) then let it go and do not dwell on it.

It sounds as though you teach from the proper perspective; one of sharing with the students, making them first, and guiding them. However we must also watch our propensity to get too connected and to try and fix them or everything. That is dangerous ground.

Students will come and go. having a crowded classroom does not guarantee the students are practicing at home nor does it guarantee they are being moved toward their svadharma. It simply means they are coming to class. It's a good start but I wouldn't read too much into it. I know very populaar teachers who classes are crowded and there's very little life progress for their students. Asana progress? Perhaps. But moving yoga into living, not really. It's quite sad honestly. If there's no growth for the student's life then really what is the point?

Teaching does bring forth our own issues but it brings them forth not for us to quit but for us to cope. So this sense of self-esteem is asking to be addressed on a very deep level. It matters very little whether you continue to teach or not. It matters a great deal that you peel this self-esteem onion and lead your students by example rather than by sequence.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-21 2:35 PM (#96691 - in reply to #96680)

Hey JFF:

From what I learnt about you, this is my honest opinion, NOT just an encouragement to pep you:

- Your background is Exceptional

- Your instruction is extremely valuable

- And, that is why people are NOT coming to your class. Because, they are looking for fluffy stuff.

- You must immediately start meditation, keep your same form, and focus on only very good students even if you have to give them FREE instruction. You should do this in addition to your regular classes.

- As for Regular Classes, you take them averagely serious, and let whoever wants to come and go, do so.

- If you have income problem, you must obtain sufficient income from a proper source whether Yoga or NON Yoga, and then use the time and comfort you get to continue your Yoga Study.

- I am very glad that I came to know you. I wish you all the best. If you are in Virginia, come and meet me.

OM ShantiH

joyfulflow - 2007-09-21 1:11 PM

Hello everyone,
I regularly read this forum but this is my first post. I am a vinyasa yoga teacher who has been teaching at a small studio for about six months (and my background is 11 years of vinyasa flow and traditional ashtanga yoga).

I love teaching and I put a lot of effort into planning my classes and making it "an experience" for everyone. I also teach in a small town, and my studio's classes average only around 5-6 students per class (my own teacher is extremely popular, however, and regularly "packs the room" at around 12-14 per class). However, my class tends to be around 3-4 and there have been a couple of times now that no one has shown up at all.

I know that I shouldn't take this personally. I'm a fairly new teacher and I'm also teaching at a late hour (past the prime spots) on the schedule. Most of the students tell me regularly how great the class was and is, and I have a close friend who also attends who gives me honest feedback (I trust her on this) and it is also overwhelmingly positive. Still, there's always the little voice that tells you that you suck, and I have gone home feeing pretty lousy the few times that no one has come.

The other thing that frustrates me is that there are very few who come frequently enough to really start seeing the results (mentally and physically) from yoga. My class is only once a week but ideally they come regularly and also practice some at home -- and I don't think I have a single one who does. Again, the little voice sometimes pops up and tells me it's kind of a futile effort at times. How can I teach them anything when they don't practice it?

I am wondering if any of you more experienced teachers have any insight to offer on these things. I love teaching and even if only one person comes and leaves feeling much better than when they came in, then that to me is a success. And if I see progress, that's also a success. But I feel I have so much more to offer than what people are getting from me and I guess I just need a little encouragement. I didn't really expect large classes and a devoted following right out of the starting gate, but at the same time, I want to feel I'm giving people something they value.

I worry that poor self-esteem will cause me to let sometimes bad teaching experiences color my own practice, and I also worry that I'll end up quitting over things that may resolve themselves in time and may be normal -- I just don't know what to expect. (And usually I'm far more positive than this -- it's just that last night was one of those nights that nobody came, and I had been so excited about the class I'd planned).

Thank you for your time; I always appreciate the advice I read here, even if I don't post (I will now, however)!

jonnie
Posted 2007-09-21 2:57 PM (#96696 - in reply to #96680)

joyfulflow - 2007-09-22 9:11 PM

How can I teach them anything when they don't practice it?

Hi Sara,

Welcome to the forum.

The bottom line is that if students don't practise at home then they won't get better simply attending a class once a week.

Gordon and Neel have given you great advice. So remember, if you are well prepared and teach a good class that's about all you can do. The rest is their issue.

Jonathon

joyfulflow
Posted 2007-09-21 3:00 PM (#96697 - in reply to #96680)

Thank you so much, both of you. I have often wondered whether taking my class from more of a sweaty power flow in the beginning to slowing things down a bit and incorporating more pranayama and meditation turned some people off -- but it isn't like I want to dumb down my class just to get students. I can handle a small class -- but I can't help but be concerned that I won't be able to pay my studio rent, or that the few students who do come won't want to be the only students and will stop coming as well.

Is this lull in the beginning typical? I definitely want to persevere, and generally I don't have self-esteem problems. I'm confident in my teaching abilities and in myself in general -- but for some reason in this case I seem to take fluctuations and perceived mistakes to heart too much. When my students seem frustrated with physical limitations I always tell them to keep a sense of humor and just enjoy the process -- it's only yoga --but I can't seem to do that myself in this case... perhaps because teaching has been a long-time dream and one that gives me a feeling of giving something instead of just consuming. To fail at what I feel is my contribution would be very hard to take.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-21 3:07 PM (#96699 - in reply to #96697)

It takes a concern personality to handle power yoga. usually over achievers. Type A people. If there is such a thing.

You will always be underneath your teacher's shadow at that studio. It gets better with time, but I don't think it will or should ever go away complete. Since this teacher is your teacher.

I work my butt off every single week. I work full time 40 hours and teach 6 classes a week.

Posted 2007-09-21 3:23 PM (#96703 - in reply to #96699)

Hey Eric,
It sounds to me like you need a vacation!
Namaste,
Jim
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-21 3:37 PM (#96706 - in reply to #96703)

It's been a long time for sure.

I like to think that teaching yoga is my true calling. Time will tell.

Posted 2007-09-21 4:07 PM (#96708 - in reply to #96706)

Eric,
Teaching yoga may be your true calling, but you may still need a vacation so that you can start again fresh and re-vitalized. Employers don't give employees vacations because they are such nice guys. They give vacations because re-vitalized employees are much more productive. Your vacation could be a yoga teacher training at a really nice place, kyacking down the Colorado river, bicycling around Europe, sitting on a secluded beach, etc etc.
Namaste,
Jim

Edited by jimg 2007-09-21 4:08 PM

Posted 2007-09-21 4:17 PM (#96709 - in reply to #96680)

The goal of "packing classes" is the irony of teaching in the west. I have just started my TT in the tradition of Krishnamacharya/Desikachar where the one on one relationship is emphasized. It is a twist of yoga in the west that success is defined by the number of people in the room.

I did not start my own private practice until I was in the situation where I would have to do asana on my own or not at all - this was the real beginning for me - even though I had been takin group asana classes for over 3 years.

Ideally students would have a personal practice - but I have mixed feelings on this - since a great many do not have a teacher they study one on one with - than I think that practicing at home might provide more risk than reward. Do they understand the concepts of warming up and prep, sequencing of poses??? Probably not.

I'm also a little concerned that you measure your students success in this way. Although I loved the physical benefits of asana practice - the best benefit was the calm and focus - in the beginning I was content to have a place to go for 3 hours a week that was relaxing and calming.

That being said - do you market yourself???
When meeting new people - if teaching comes up and people express interest - do you invite them to your class free of charge?
Do you put fliers out? Advertise?

Why expect students to come to you?

Some people find networking distasteful - but what other way to bring yoga to people that might not never know of it otherwise?

Keep in touch.
Vic
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-21 4:23 PM (#96711 - in reply to #96708)

Thanks Jim.

I don't want to take any energy away from this important thread.

Perhaps we can start a new thread somewhere.

joyfulflow
Posted 2007-09-21 5:09 PM (#96712 - in reply to #96680)

Hi Vic et al.,
Thanks; those are great questions. To give you a better idea of where I'm coming from ...

I am also a graphics designer so I have a Web site, flyers, etc. I do invite people free of charge and also have a student who attends for free because she has financial issues but genuinely wants to practice yoga. My class is in the evening, so I market it as the perfect way to end a stressful day. I want them to wake up the next morning feeling better and more able to deal with their lives than they did the day before, and hope it in turn benefits everyone around them by making them better co-workers, parents, drivers, etc.,

I don't measure my students' success by how often they attend class or whether they practice at home. I didn't mean to give that impression. You make a very good point about a relaxing place to go for a couple of hours once a week. I don't emphasize constantly advancing with asanas, either, though I do give a lot of options and encourage people to challenge themselves; I think the physical health is an important part of a whole-health system.

And I do think once a week, consistently, would be great for anyone. When I say practice at home, I don't necessarily mean 90-minute complicated classes, I just mean 10 minutes of sun salutations here and there, maybe a DVD if they are proficient enough to follow one safely (that's how I started originally, and there are many great ones out there). Just something -- 5 minutes -- anything. I guess I'm one of those people who wouldn't leave out a little yoga from my day any more than I wouldn't brush my teeth. I realize most students don't prioritize it quite that high, though.

I would actually rather not pack my classes. A handful of people is a lot more manageable and I feel I give them what they need individually much more than I would if the room were full. I stopped attending a class at one point because the room was so packed that the teacher gave very little individual attention, and not only that, but she was clearly picking asanas based on what would keep people from bonking into each other. I understand, but at the same time, I didn't feel I was learning much anymore.

I was actually warned early on by one of the longtime studio teachers at the beginning that not only would I be teaching at an off-time, but that it can take a long time to build up a group of regular students and can be a discouraging experience. I guess I just need to distance myself from the idea that it's me personally -- I just can't please everyone, nor live in fear that an "om" might offend someone, etc.
AKBrooker1
Posted 2007-09-21 5:11 PM (#96713 - in reply to #96680)

joyfulflow, Your post has brought up important issues I have with myself, with my teaching, and with my students. I had taught for over ten years, also in a small town and also with the numbers you have mentioned. I have witnessed the power of yoga to heal not only within myself but many times with my students. Why then was I not turning students away at the door? I would see what I thought was the tipping point--the step to popularity or success--many times over the years only to see numbers recede. I believe strongly in what I teach so I never considered changing my lineage although I have found continued training--and the incorporation of these influences--to be important. I have doubted my ability as well as my desire often over the years.

I have come to a few beliefs with regards to how my world works. The first is that we are here to grow and to be joyful, and our true learning promotes both. Learning will come from letting go of attachment to only positive results and by being introspective in all circumstances.

Secondly, the Universe rewards intention. Although my desire was to be popular, my true intention was never to be successful as a business owner. I was always at crossed-purposes between desire and intention. Understand and be true to your intention.

And most importantly to me--and borrowing from the Four Agreements that says it much better than I can--take nothing personally and just do your best! Find in yourself that what makes you love your practice, offer that to your students, be patient, and appreciate this opportunity--whether it is to one student, to ten, or to one-hundred.

I have moved on from that small town and can look back at what is now a very strong core group of students and good friends. I feel those years were very valuable to me but believe that we may find places that are more appreciative of our energy and of what we have to offer. I am now living in a small city beginning the process again, this time knowing my intention and appreciating every opportunity I have to share.

I wish you peace, joy, and stillness within your practice, in your teaching, and in your life!

Posted 2007-09-21 5:15 PM (#96714 - in reply to #96680)

joyfulflow - 2007-09-21 1:11 PM

Hi Sara,
Please don't judge yourself as a teacher by how many people are at class. In fact, please don't judge yourself! What you are going through is part of learning to be a teacher. You learn to teach by teaching and being aware, not comparing and being critical (of yourself or your students). Accept yourself the way you are right now and accept your students the way they are right now. If you are really relating to each student and giving them what they want, many will return and sooner or later some may want what you want to offer. Don't worry about what you want, focus on what your students want. I hope that this helps in some small way.
Namaste,
Jim
Kym
Posted 2007-09-21 8:17 PM (#96729 - in reply to #96697)

joyfulflow - 2007-09-21 3:00 PM

I have often wondered whether taking my class from more of a sweaty power flow in the beginning to slowing things down a bit and incorporating more pranayama and meditation turned some people off -- but it isn't like I want to dumb down my class just to get students.

Everyone has given you great advice. One thing I notice is the statement above. I don't think that having a sweaty power flow dumbs things down. The students may really want that and you either need to give your students what they want, or find students who want what you give (which might mean finding another studio.) I remember taking a writing class in college, and learning to always consider ethos-understanding your audience so you can reach them.

Edited by Kym 2007-09-21 8:24 PM
joyfulflow
Posted 2007-09-21 8:31 PM (#96730 - in reply to #96680)

Hi Kym,
Good point -- I had better backpeddle and explain that one. I love sweaty vinyasa flows, and I strongly prefer power yoga for my own practice. By "dumb it down," I meant leaving out a lot of elements of the practice that make the asanas yoga and focusing solely on the physical intensity. The class is still physically intense but that isn't the focus ... it just depends on what we're working on that week. I felt like it gave me more teaching freedom if I didn't have to constantly be focusing on making it strenuous.

I actually sent out an e-mail survey to a handful of regulars before changing class formats and asked whether they thought a slightly less intense vinyasa class was an appealing idea (because of the late hour), and then decided to make the change.

Thank you all for your responses... this has all been very helpful and you've given me a lot to think about.

Kym
Posted 2007-09-21 10:07 PM (#96734 - in reply to #96680)

Ok.

By the way, is that you in your avatar? That's quite a posture!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-21 10:40 PM (#96736 - in reply to #96680)

Dear JFF:

You must know the cause of your concern. But, whatever the reason is: you have to come out of that concern. If you want more students, you have to do what they like. If you want more students for more money, you have to do what they like and what your studio likes. If you want to teach what you like to teach, you need to make enough income from other sources so that you can be free of the income concern.
joyfulflow
Posted 2007-09-21 11:21 PM (#96738 - in reply to #96680)

Neel, indeed, that pretty much sums it up!

Kym, yes, that's a photo of me. And thanks. People have told me there are much easier ways to clean my carpet, however.

Posted 2007-09-21 11:51 PM (#96740 - in reply to #96680)
Subject: RE: Teaching frustrations at 6

kym: i like your avatar.

And, that is why people are NOT coming to your class. Because, they are looking for fluffy stuff.

this has been something that i've experienced. it's nice to hear it again, so thanks for saying it, neel.

my basic process is this--what sort of teaching makes me happy?

fact is, i have to teach the way that i teach. and the way that i teach isn't going to attract everybody, and it's not going to attract certain kinds of personalities/people. my teaching is highly adaptable, but there are some things that i simply can't do.

and when i simply can't teach the way that a certain audience wants, or a certain studio owner wants, then it's time for me to move on. and i think that's healthy.

i would suggest that you continue with what you're doing at the studio and perhaps consider starting something at a 'better hour' at a place near you that doesn't have yoga. for example, one of my first teaching 'gigs' in this particular area was in my neighborhood clubhouse. i taught "by donation" classes and the clubhouse was free for me. so, no cost.

i could teach what i wanted, i was very close to home, i met a lot of neighbors, and it was a great place for really offering myself. my classes were large and small (it was seasonal), and i still have clients who came from that original group (8 yrs later!). if no one came, there was no loss in travel, time, etc. and if i got a lot of people (sometimes as many as 30 or 40), it was great!

you might be surprised at where you can start a community and inspire people to practice yoga who normally might not!
Jambo
Posted 2007-09-22 5:17 PM (#96764 - in reply to #96680)

Just got back from a studio in neighborhood that I drifted into because of a deal ($$$) from the studio but which I was thinking, if I had to pay full price, would I? Probably not because of the teachers. Seeing this post about teachers, I give my list of what “makes or breaks a Yoga teacher” for me (in no specific order, just random impressions here):

Sad (a funky, less than happy vibe)

Aloof (too distracted with their own problems or sense of superiority)

Inarticulate (not a judgment on native speech, but a complete misunderstanding of basic communications between people)

Won’t engage (a weird inability to interact with the students)

Sickly (teachers coming into classes with runny noses and hawking coughs)

Arrogance (so you can do a wheel and walk around the studio doing that. Does that make you a nicer person and do you still have to pay your taxes? Thinking you are more advanced in YOGA then a beginner. ‘My style of yoga is better than your style of yoga’ syndrome.)

Insensitivity (students having their own issues and not knowing how to alter the class to their needs)

These are a few of my most unfavorable things about Yoga teachers.

Edited by Jambo 2007-09-22 5:35 PM
Kym
Posted 2007-09-23 12:53 AM (#96774 - in reply to #96680)

thanks zb-my 8 yr old took that over the summer at a mexican food restaraunt.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-23 7:54 AM (#96782 - in reply to #96680)

joyfulflow - 2007-09-21 1:11 PM However, my class tends to be around 3-4 and there have been a couple of times now that no one has shown up at all. I know that I shouldn't take this personally. I'm a fairly new teacher and I'm also teaching at a late hour (past the prime spots) on the schedule. Most of the students tell me regularly how great the class was and is, and I have a close friend who also attends who gives me honest feedback (I trust her on this) and it is also overwhelmingly positive. Still, there's always the little voice that tells you that you suck, and I have gone home feeing pretty lousy the few times that no one has come.

When I first read this, I swear I thought I had posted it myself! I'm only two months behind you in teaching experience (though quite a number of years behind you in my own practice), so believe me, I know how it is. It's very hard to remain confident and true to what you believe is the "proper" yoga to teach others when you don't see the physical numbers of people coming, enjoying and most importantly, getting what you're trying to convey to them. That, I think, is one of the biggest problems I've been trying to get over: do they really "get" what I'm trying to teach? Furthermore, I teach at a gym, so I know that many who wander into my class are looking for the big sweaty workout. While that may happen, it's not my personal priority and objective of the classes that I teach. It's tough being torn between teaching what's your authentic yoga and what you perceive your students want from attending your classes. Especially when, as it's said of the gyms, the members vote with their feet.

One of the things that keeps me going is remembering something that was posted here about this topic recently (by the venerable Neel, if I recall correctly), and I paraphrase: not only does the teacher need to be good, the students need to be good as well. You can't control who comes into your classes, true, so if those who are not yet ready to accept what you teach do wander in, it's not your responsibility to make sure they are happy. Not every teacher is for every student. And not every person who attends a yoga class is a yoga student. Big difference there. Western yoga has become a huge bandwagon everyone wants to get a ride on, to get those "instant" wonderful benefits. You are your own drop of water in the vast ocean Yoga, and many enter thinking they already know how to swim, they just want to learn some new and interesting strokes. Well, they'll either get it or they won't, this time or next, or maybe even not at all. Teach your Yoga. Stay true to your own Self.

My teacher, in our training, had told us many times that we would suck before we would shine (it was even a question on our final exam!). But she didn't say it that way: she said we must be WILLING to suck before we could shine, in that the intention we had in doing the work was more important than the actual outcome of our teaching classes. It's all about having expectations: of ourselves, of our students, of the entire process.

I now teach three classes a week, and honestly, the teaching process is more my yoga practice than anything else lately. I offer what I know (and believe me, I'm just as diligent a class-preparer). do the best I can, and swaha to the rest. No attachments to the fruits of my actions. A guru in my lineage says "never miss an opportunity to serve". I try to teach the class I would love to attend myself (at appropriate physical skill levels for the attendees, of course). It doesn't get more true than that.

Thanks for posting and reminding me that, even in this part of my own journey, I am not alone.

joyfulflow
Posted 2007-09-23 6:24 PM (#96794 - in reply to #96680)

I feel so much better -- just hearing you're not alone in your self-flagellation helps immensely. Orange, you put it really well, about an attendee not necessarily being a yoga student. I imagine it takes time to get the real students in the door and keep them. And it definitely is a bandwagon ... I imagine teaching at a gym is extra challenging in that regard for you.

Another teacher at my studio gave me some great advice once as well. She said even though the fruit you're producing is great, some people may not want to eat that fruit, and it just means they need to eat from a different tree. And of course we know this, deep down, but sometimes we just need to be reminded. I can't change what I do to please fairweather students. I don't mean not adjusting things to suit their needs; I'm talking about teaching a style of yoga (or watering it down) that I don't truly feel.

I also appreciate the list of traits of unpleasant teachers. I've encountered some of these and tried to make myself the teacher that I've always wanted. Of course, I need to realize that the teacher I have always wanted isn't necessarily the same one everyone else will want.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-09-23 10:16 PM (#96799 - in reply to #96794)

I guess we all have different ideas about what makes a great instructor.

Things that annoy me about [some] yoga instructors:

1. Overly happy/friendly like they are your best friend
2. Doesn't sound very bright/like they haven't truly studied their stuff..I think it should be clear that your instructor has thoroughly studied anatomy
3. Spends so much time on modifications/physical descriptions that there is no meditation
4. Talks quickly and sounds hyper
5. Don't demonstrate enough...they've been teaching too many classes and don't have enough energy to demonstrate...some classes can be pretty expensive and I expect good demonstrations
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)