YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching frustrations at 6 mos
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Posted 2007-09-23 11:42 PM (#96803 - in reply to #96794)
Subject: RE: Teaching frustrations at 6 mos

You never know who is going to "get it." There is a couple who were attending my classes now and then and not making much progress (or so I thought) and lately they have been coming more often (they explained that they work shifts at a hospital) and are starting to really "get it." I mentioned to the man that he has been improving a lot and he told me "I have finally understood what you mean about relaxing." You never know what is going on inside your students. Sometimes you think that it was a great class and none of the students thought so, and sometimes you think that it was a terrible class and students come up after class and say that it was the best class that they have ever had. All you can do is stay flexible and open and work together with your students to improve their yoga. I really think that teaching yoga (or anything else) is a joint venture, a partnership. Sometimes the "silent partners" are making more progress than you can see on the outside.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-24 6:57 AM (#96808 - in reply to #96803)
Subject: RE: Teaching frustrations at 6 mos

jimg - 2007-09-23 11:42 PM You never know what is going on inside your students. Sometimes you think that it was a great class and none of the students thought so, and sometimes you think that it was a terrible class and students come up after class and say that it was the best class that they have ever had.

This is so true. It's a bit disconcerting though, working with a lack of feedback (especially coming from a background in one-on-one interaction), but I guess that's where the practice of nonattachment comes in.

Posted 2007-09-24 10:54 AM (#96815 - in reply to #96680)
Subject: RE: Teaching frustrations at 6

for me, it's rarely the teaching that keeps me away, per se. typically, classes are generally too basic or don't give enough instruction on how to advance the posture--and so it's really not 'at level' for me.

this is not to say that i can't learn anything from these classes--i can and do. but, i can get the same benefit or moreso from practicing those postures on my own. if i want to advance the asana part of my practice, i need to go to a class that is for intermediate/advanced practitioners. that class doesn't really exist around here, so i have to travel to get to it. (well, i'm starting up a class series for intermediate/advanced students--but i can't very well take that class!).

so, for me, if a teacher is sad or happy, has a focus on anatomy or doesn't, demonstrates or doesn't (i prefer classes without demonstration unless the majority of the people 'don't get it'), assists or doesn't, or whatever else. . .is really irrelevant.

i suppose you could say that i'm just tolerant of various teaching styles and perspectives, different personality types, and so on.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)