YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

karate?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

karmann
Posted 2007-09-22 9:27 PM (#96770)
Subject: karate?

I'm just curious as to whether or not any of you have taken/ are taking karate. Do you feel its philosophies are at odds with those of yoga's?

I personally do not practice yoga beyond doing asanas and yet I feel a certain kinship with people striving to follow principles such as non-theft, non-violence, contentment and the like.

I have lately become interested in perhaps taking some karate lessons, mostly to develop a little more strength and concentration- and learning some basic self-defense is perhaps a smaller part of it. Plus, I enjoy being physically active and beside yoga and a 3 mile walk a day I don't do much else. Well, nothing that makes me sweat and I miss that since I stopped running. And yet, karate seems, well, violent. Which is not something I'm interested in (unless in self-defense.)

So I'm just wondering what you all think. Or what experience you may have had with it, and did it/ does it feel contrary somehow to your yoga?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-22 10:27 PM (#96771 - in reply to #96770)
Subject: RE: karate?

I think you should go ahead and take karate with a good master in your area.
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-23 6:54 AM (#96778 - in reply to #96770)

Hi karmann,

karate doesn't really have a set philosophy, though some of the different styles incorporate bits of Zen.

Most of my recurring hip and lower back injuries that plague my Yoga practise now are from my karate practise in my teens and early twentys. So in my opinion, if you want to develop a little more strength and concentration take up Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and if you want to learn self protection then look at a discipline such as Krav Maga which will equip you much better.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-23 7:18 AM (#96780 - in reply to #96770)

Karmann: I apologize. I may have misunderstood your OP. I thought you were passionate about karate. It seemst that your interest is very mild. In that case, I shall ignore my previous post and take what Jonnie wrote.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-09-23 8:59 AM (#96784 - in reply to #96770)

Couple of things. First, I feel that if you really want to defend yourself, a hand gun is a much better choice. Second, I get a much better workout from taking yoga than I ever have from taking Karate. Third, I've noticed that a number of Karate practioners tend to develop this urge to punch and kick just about everything. So I feel like they're really not learning peace.

Posted 2007-09-23 1:01 PM (#96788 - in reply to #96770)

Although I have never done karate, I do have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Martial arts practice can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the mind of the practitioner. (Are you doing it to learn focus, relaxation, better mind, emotion and body control or do you want to hurt people and express your anger?) The reason that I stopped was that I noticed how many people were injuring themselves. I agree with jonnie that if you want a more intense workout, Astanga or Power Yoga would be better alternatives.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)