YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torn Calf Muscle
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

louise30
Posted 2007-09-25 9:48 AM (#96876)
Subject: Torn Calf Muscle

Hi, I tore my calf muscle during a yoga session last Friday. I'm very fit, I do alot of running, weights etc and I love my yoga classes. I'm fairly flexible and was in the middle of stretching when I felt a tear. My lower leg was numb all Saturday and now it's painful to walk on. Basically I can't bend up from my toes. i've rested, iced, heated & massaged my calf. Anyone know how long this is going to heal? I'm going spare that I can't go for a decent walk. I doing only the most basic yoga floor excerises now and want to do everything possible to ensure a rapid recovery.

Should I be doing small streches? Also, should I swim? Or should I be resting totally?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-25 11:33 AM (#96882 - in reply to #96876)
Subject: RE: Torn Calf Muscle

Rest completely with possible fast.

Time to recover completely: 2 months at least.

All claims above are disclaimed, but are response to your question.

louise30 - 2007-09-25 9:48 AM

Hi, I tore my calf muscle during a yoga session last Friday. I'm very fit, I do alot of running, weights etc and I love my yoga classes. I'm fairly flexible and was in the middle of stretching when I felt a tear. My lower leg was numb all Saturday and now it's painful to walk on. Basically I can't bend up from my toes. i've rested, iced, heated & massaged my calf. Anyone know how long this is going to heal? I'm going spare that I can't go for a decent walk. I doing only the most basic yoga floor excerises now and want to do everything possible to ensure a rapid recovery.

Should I be doing small streches? Also, should I swim? Or should I be resting totally?

Posted 2007-09-25 1:00 PM (#96892 - in reply to #96876)

Are you self-diagnosing the injury?
If so, can you please outline the assessment protocol so I may accurately advise you for a muscle tear?

Also your background please. Age. Weight. Fitness level. Medical history. Brevity is preferred.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-09-25 1:01 PM
louise30
Posted 2007-09-26 4:19 AM (#96942 - in reply to #96892)

Hi. I am 30 years of age, 140 lbs, 5ft 9inches, very high fitness level- I have trained all my life and over the last 5 months have significantly increased my activites. I am never ill and have never had a muscular injury before.

Yes, this is a self-diagnosis. I've spoken to my trainer and he believes rest and light stretches are the best. I find total rest hard so I went swimming yesterday to stretch out. This felt great. I also rubbed in Tiger Balm to my leg. This heated up my leg significantly. Should I continue with this? Is there anything else I could be doing or not?

Thank you for your help.

Posted 2007-10-15 6:37 PM (#97932 - in reply to #96876)

How fortunate to reach 30 without a muscular injury.

If you have a bona fide tear in the muscle (not a micro tear as in muscle building) then it is rest that is most appropriate initially. For those who can only rest the task of balance is to move more. For those who cannot rest at all, the task of baalance is to rest some.

I personally do not use TB any longer as it strikes me as a surface treatment rather than a penetrator. Rub untoasted organic sesame seed oil into the effected area twice per day - once in the morning and once at night. The application should take about ten minutes and no less (that is not a typo. Take all ten minutes please).

It sounds like you put quite a pounding on your lower limbs. Perhaps your yoga practice might counter your other activities rather than mimicing them? Just a thought. It is your hundred years.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)