YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Purpose of Dharana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

seeker
Posted 2007-09-26 10:30 AM (#96973)
Subject: Purpose of Dharana

Dear Yogis,

What's the purpose of dharana, holding the mind to a particular spot in the body? For instance, I am able to concentrate on my hands, is this any good? What can I expect from this practice? What are the good things that come about, by concentrating on a particular spot, in my case, the palm and fingertips, because I feel a tremendous flow of energy, so it's easy to maintain concentration on that spot?

If I could know the good things about the practice of dharana, it will motivate me to do more of it. So please share....

TIA,
Suresh
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-09-26 11:01 AM (#96977 - in reply to #96973)
Subject: RE: Purpose of Dharana

concentration is a good skill to develop and it helps with meditation.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-26 11:52 AM (#96985 - in reply to #96973)

Dear Suresh:
The purpose of Dhaaranaa is to hold the mind in a particular place. That is also the definition of Dhaaranaa. The only thing you should expect to come out of it is: the mind is held. And, that is a lot. If you can hold the mind, there is nothing better to achieve. But, if you can hold the mind, you can achieve anything.

I think you should learn Yoga from a proper source, and not out of context such as 'what will Dharana give me?' 'what does energy in fingers do?', etc.

Best Luck.

seeker - 2007-09-26 10:30 AM

Dear Yogis,

What's the purpose of dharana, holding the mind to a particular spot in the body? For instance, I am able to concentrate on my hands, is this any good? What can I expect from this practice? What are the good things that come about, by concentrating on a particular spot, in my case, the palm and fingertips, because I feel a tremendous flow of energy, so it's easy to maintain concentration on that spot?

If I could know the good things about the practice of dharana, it will motivate me to do more of it. So please share....

TIA,
Suresh
seeker
Posted 2007-09-27 2:00 AM (#97036 - in reply to #96985)

kulkarnn - 2007-09-26 11:52 AM

Dear Suresh:
The purpose of Dhaaranaa is to hold the mind in a particular place. That is also the definition of Dhaaranaa. The only thing you should expect to come out of it is: the mind is held. And, that is a lot.

Thanks, but how do we know if the mind is held? When I do dharana, my mind is on the hands as well as on the thoughts which 'come and go.' Does it mean I must strive until there's no interference of thought, and only awareness of the hands remain?

Suresh
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-27 8:00 AM (#97053 - in reply to #97036)

Yes Sir.

seeker - 2007-09-27 2:00 AM

kulkarnn - 2007-09-26 11:52 AM

Dear Suresh:
The purpose of Dhaaranaa is to hold the mind in a particular place. That is also the definition of Dhaaranaa. The only thing you should expect to come out of it is: the mind is held. And, that is a lot.

Thanks, but how do we know if the mind is held? When I do dharana, my mind is on the hands as well as on the thoughts which 'come and go.' Does it mean I must strive until there's no interference of thought, and only awareness of the hands remain?

Suresh
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)