YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I saw a golden light!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

seeker
Posted 2007-09-28 12:40 PM (#97138)
Subject: I saw a golden light!

Hello,

While meditating on the crown chakra, I saw many golden (dancing) lights, they were moving in diff. directions, it was so beautiful, but it only lasted a minute. They vanished. I also felt some pressure on top of the head, as if it was spinning.

Can experienced meditators tell me if there's any significance in this? I am really excited to see this again, it was lovely. Please advise.

Suresh
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-28 2:24 PM (#97144 - in reply to #97138)
Subject: RE: I saw a golden light!

last week I would see a vague image of a bird slowly flapping its wings. All I would see is the outline of the brid, it was and illuminated white blue color, more of the aura of a bird. when I tried to watch for it, it would not happen, when it happened if I tried to follow the bird, it would disappear. when I meditate, I dont look for it, it comes some days and not others. be careful that you dont try to force it to come back, meditation, from my perspective at least, is the opposite of forcing. It will be as it will be no matter how hard I try, so why try, just let it be
have fun

on the journey,
seeker
grasshopper
Posted 2007-09-28 3:59 PM (#97151 - in reply to #97138)

Did the light have a shimmering effect? Was it primarily in the periphery of your "line of sight", so to speak?

Did it in any way resemble either of these images?

SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-28 4:34 PM (#97153 - in reply to #97138)

did you see the forever blooming lotus?

in a kinda golden shimmering vertex of lines?

forever pulsating?

Neato, huh?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-29 10:30 AM (#97176 - in reply to #97138)

Expert Yogi

seeker - 2007-09-28 12:40 PM

Hello,

While meditating on the crown chakra, I saw many golden (dancing) lights, they were moving in diff. directions, it was so beautiful, but it only lasted a minute. They vanished. I also felt some pressure on top of the head, as if it was spinning.

Can experienced meditators tell me if there's any significance in this? I am really excited to see this again, it was lovely. Please advise.

Suresh

There is significance in this...BUT, you should not focus your attention to it because you will become attached to it and then it will disturb your inner peace to the point where you may be trying so hard to discover it again, that it will actually interfere with discovering it again...and other things as well.

You're not suppose to talk about these things with anyone other than your guru. If you don't have one...then analyze it internally, not externally. Wait until you find a guru so you can further explore this without any injury.
seeker
Posted 2007-09-29 10:40 AM (#97178 - in reply to #97176)

Thanks, Cyndi. I only asked because I was excited, and moreover, I needed some inspiration. If it's a good sign, can you tell me why? it will keep me motivated.

I understand we shouldn't seek this experience again, we must let things happen. But do I simply continue doing what I've been doing, namely concentrating on the crown chakra, hoping something may happen?

I don't have a guru, and I am not sure what you mean by injury. How is it relevant to my experience?

Suresh

Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-29 11:30 AM (#97180 - in reply to #97178)

Expert Yogi

Suresh, I have a Nepali friend with this name.

I cannot say what this means to you, I have no idea. This is why you should have a guru. Whenever these things arise, you should not focus on them. It doesn't mean anything. Like I said before, it is significant, but that is all. Only your guru knows the significance of the experience. Only a guru would tell you. Like I said, if you don't have one, then you need to analyze what this may mean for you. Asking a public forum has no quality. That is called "shopping". For one thing, if your practicing these things without a teacher, then your in dangerous territory, because how will you know what the hell you are doing?? What are you trying to achieve?? If you don't have a goal or at least some kind of understanding of that, then what is your point?? Why would you want to be motivated when you don't know what it is you are being motivated about?? Why would you be excited about seeing light? What if the meaning of that light meant something not very good or possibly harmful, would you accept that answer seeing as how, originally you were so happy and excited??

If you are looking for something magical and all that...I think you're barking up the wrong tree. If your looking for inner peace and calm abiding stillness, then those are good qualities to seek for any meditation practice.

As for the chakras and all, do you even know what the crown chakra represents and do the chakra's serve a purpose?? If so, what are they?? I don't want you to answer me, I want you to answer for yourself. That way you will be clear about what you are trying to achieve.

The injury occurs within your mind. It is very subtle. Your mind is full of illusions and can take you to scary places and it can keep you in your fantasy. If you are not being guided by a guru, then how are you going to know the difference between what is real and what is an illusion???
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-29 12:46 PM (#97187 - in reply to #97180)

Cyndi, not to be picking a fight nor any disrespect, but... wouldn't you think that those persons who don't have a guru but need one don't have a CLUE that they need one, because of the very fact that they don't have one? Couldn't it be that sometimes, if not many times, things happen spontaneously to the completely uninitiated, and they don't even KNOW that they shouldn't be asking these things on a public forum? How much ever you might disagree, I don't believe that everyone instinctively knows that when "magic" happens, you're supposed to keep it a secret. Just a thought.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-29 1:57 PM (#97188 - in reply to #97187)

Expert Yogi

OM,

I'm confused...what's the argument?? Of course, what you said is true. Most of the time, people do stumble upon these experiences. Especially if you are going to be dabbling in such things. Although....we both know that you really should be prepared...for anything. It's all in your karma. You have to decide for yourself about the quality of it. Do you want to dabble in the entire world's opinion, do you want to confuse yourself with a zillion possible answers.....or do you want to find a quality teacher/guru, perhaps even study and learn from that person and save yourself alot of misery and suffering??

Anyway, all the traditional teachers will tell you the same thing. I've sat in many teachings, with numerous world famous guru's. This is the very first aspect of any meditation practice they discuss up front. It's really important.

So, now Suresh has heard me say it. Suresh posed the question to me, this group and I have responded. Whether or not my answer is going to be accepted or not?? I don't have any attachment to Suresh's decision. The seed has been planted in his mind for "food for thought". It's karma. It's Suresh's choice. It's not up to me to convince anyone about "right" or "wrong"...it is just what it is.

But, if you really want to help Suresh, OM, instead of questioning me ......perhaps, you may want to share your experience or what you know, that way we can help Suresh make an important discovery for this aspect of his/her meditition experience.

As for the "magic" aspect....this reminds me of my favorite little quote - it goes like this:

"Practice has been described by a Tibetan teacher as the wearing out of an old pair of shoes. Wearing the soles thin. Wearing through ego and delusion. You may approach Zen thinking that you are going to become enlightened, become a great teacher and have fantastic powers that people will respect. Doing the practice, you come to realize that you don't give a dam whether people respect you or not. You really don't want to be a great teacher. What you want is to be helpful. To be of assistance - a benevolent entity.

~~Kobutsu, The Engaged Zen Foundation

P.S. For what its worth...the main reason I responded to this in the first place...was that there were a few smart a$$es that were poking fun of Suresh with their light demonstrations and comments. I wanted Suresh to know that I was sincere and there was merit and significance to this experience. These are very sacred experiences not to be taken lightly and not to be poked fun of. BUT, OTOH, this is the very reason why posting to a public forum can be dangerous and cause injury...on a subtle level, within a person's mind. Most people take that for granted...especially shallow and smartA$$ people who are mean spirited.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-29 2:02 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-29 2:40 PM (#97190 - in reply to #97188)

Hey Cyndi, we're on the same side here, no argument at all. Sorry if I caused you to be confused. I guess I saw myself as butting in with my comments, and some may see that as offering unsolicited advice to you, and that's why I hedged. No biggie.

Most of the time, people do stumble upon these experiences. Especially if you are going to be dabbling in such things.

Yes, but I was talking about stumbling on things when you're not even dabbling, and you have no freakin' clue what chakras are or kundalini energy is. Things just happening spontaneously, or so it might seem to you, like randomly throwing together flour, eggs and sugar (or honey!) on a hot day and winding up with a cake. Hey, it could happen.

But, if you really want to help Suresh, OM, instead of questioning me ......perhaps, you may want to share your experience or what you know, that way we can help Suresh make an important discovery for this aspect of his/her meditition experience.

See, this is why I hedged in the first place... I wasn't ever questioning you. For those who know, it's pretty much a no-brainer that if you're going to dabble, you need a teacher. My POV was that not all those who experience things are even dabbling (and for some reason that was my impression of Suresh, not sure why), and so how could they even know in the first place what they're experiencing, let alone that they need guidance?

As for what I know, let's just say I was one of those non-dabblers that ended up with cake. A big huge scary cake. And it started from something as innocuous as doing kegels.

Kym
Posted 2007-10-04 7:49 PM (#97442 - in reply to #97138)

Un, yeah, those pics are of occular migraines.
grasshopper
Posted 2007-10-05 1:14 PM (#97467 - in reply to #97442)

Kym - 2007-10-04 1:49 PM

You are correct! Which tells me you have either experienced them, or you are a medical professional. No one else would be able to identify them.

They are also known as migraine auras. The original poster did not respond as to whether her experience was in any way similar.

Edited by grasshopper 2007-10-05 1:17 PM
seeker
Posted 2007-10-05 2:04 PM (#97469 - in reply to #97467)

grasshopper - 2007-10-05 1:14 PM

Kym - 2007-10-04 1:49 PM

You are correct! Which tells me you have either experienced them, or you are a medical professional. No one else would be able to identify them.

They are also known as migraine auras. The original poster did not respond as to whether her experience was in any way similar.

If it's ocular migraine, does that mean I may have a problem with my eyes? Will I go blind? What's gonna happen to me?
grasshopper
Posted 2007-10-05 2:15 PM (#97470 - in reply to #97469)

So do those images illustrate what you experienced? Please address this question directly.

I have had two migraine auras in my life. The first one lasted about 30 minutes. It began as I was driving and it freaked me out. It was visually stunning, but i was unable to focus on it. It remained in the periphery of my vision, but was present when I closed my eyes. I do not suffer from migraine headaches. I understand it is uncommon for someone to have the aura without the headache.

I did not seek medical care. If you are concerned about what this might mean medically then perhaps you should.

tourist
Posted 2007-10-05 6:25 PM (#97481 - in reply to #97470)

Expert Yogi

grasshopper - I think it is not usual, but not unheard of for the aura without the headache. I have suffered the headache without the aura too many times to count. Never had the aura, yet when I remember how things looked during a migraine, I don't remember "seeing" out of my left eye, though I have tested during a migraine and I can indeed see through my left eye. a remarkable yet painful affliction, which thankfully seems to be leaving me over the past years
Kym
Posted 2007-10-06 7:30 PM (#97503 - in reply to #97138)

I have had occular migraines many times. They started with pregnancy and have continued. I can only speak for myself-they have never been connected with a headache. Nor have they been connected to meditation. In fact, if I remember correctly (it's been 8 yrs since my first) my Dr said they are stress related, so I hope an occular migraine would not pop up during meditation! And, it's not like something you might experience in meditation b/c it lasts quite a bit of time, and will continue whether you are meditating or not. I see them as totally unrelated, so I'm sorry, but I thought Grasshopper was poking fun. Sorry GH-maybe you were not? I will say, the first picture you posted was VERY accurate, adding a shimmering of that object. It starts our as an arc, but with mine, they can sometimes take over my entire view. It can be scary b/c you are virtually blind in that time.
seeker
Posted 2007-10-07 2:27 PM (#97521 - in reply to #97138)

Had my eyes closed when this happened.
Kym
Posted 2007-10-07 11:14 PM (#97532 - in reply to #97138)

You would see an occular migraine with eyes opened or closed. I don't think that's what you experienced. Like I said, it is not something that you would see, then it would suddenly dissapear, like perhaps in meditating. I am envious of what you saw.
grasshopper
Posted 2007-10-08 1:19 PM (#97555 - in reply to #97503)

Kym - 2007-10-06 1:30 PM
...but I thought Grasshopper was poking fun. Sorry GH-maybe you were not? I will say, the first picture you posted was VERY accurate, adding a shimmering of that object.

I was not poking fun, although I can accept that you had that impression. I was just presenting this possibility for consideration, as it can be an overwhelming phenomenon without explanation when you experience it for the first time.

I agree that this picture is an extremely accurate representation, except that it lacks the shimmering movement:

If this is what seeker experienced, then it was probably a migraine aura.

Seeker - Does this resemble what you experienced while meditating?
Kym
Posted 2007-10-11 11:22 AM (#97694 - in reply to #97138)

Yes, GH-I was terrified the first time it happened. I was basically blinded...ahhh you never forget your first. Sorry, now I'm kidding around.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)