YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pratipaksha Bhava
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

seeker
Posted 2007-09-29 10:44 AM (#97179)
Subject: Pratipaksha Bhava

For those of you who know a thing or two about Patanjali, this term must be familiar. It's about thinking the opposite, when confronted by negative thoughts and feelings. The q is: how to do this? If you're meditating and realize that you're chattering meaninglessly, what's the opposite thought in this case? Or, even when we're sad or angry, how do we actually think of the opposite, namely joy and compassion respectively? Would it be better to think of the Buddha instead, because he personifies all that's good?

Suresh
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-29 11:34 AM (#97181 - in reply to #97179)
Subject: RE: Pratipaksha Bhava

Dear Suresh:
Thanks for this question. In the colloquial Sanskrit Language "Pratipaksha BhavanaM' means thinking of opposite as you wrote here. However, that is NOT the meaning in the Patanjali Yoga Sutras. And, this event occurs in the studies of the Sutras a lot. And, that is why I went to the extent of writing a book, "Yoga Sutras of Patanjali - Proper Translation and Chanting" without giving any commentary, but just proper translation. Read this particular topic in that book. As, if I explain this sutram for you, you are going to ask me another question which is related to my explanation that comes from the Previous Sutra, etc.

Best Luck.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-29 12:26 PM (#97184 - in reply to #97179)

Suresh, while I don't know this term specifically, I can tell you how my teacher guided us in dealing with the two examples you gave. If you find your mind thinking thoughts while trying to meditate, just say to yourself "oh look, a thought!" and then just let it go. Notice it, rather than attempt to ignore it, then get on with what was at hand. You ask what to think of instead? Well, meditation as I understand it, does not require specific thoughts, per se. The limb before dhyana is dharana, or concentration, so I would go back to my efforts there.

Same with negative feelings such as sadness and anger. Acknowledge their existence, these feelings, but then just let them go. "Oh look, that person just cut me off on the highway, and now I'm so mad!" You have a choice, either react in the manner of the feeling, or not. The directive is not to suppress or change the feeling, but rather choose your reaction in a more positive (hence opposite) way. As for sadness, or even grief, the tactic of acknowledgment is even clearer, as I see it. Denial is not the way to go. Embodying the pain or negative emotion does not immediately imply wallowing in it. That is why many cultures require a prescribed period of mourning, as opposed to just telling the bereaved to "get over it and be happy already".

I know my examples might be a little over the top, but hopefully you understood my point. Good luck.

tourist
Posted 2007-09-30 11:53 AM (#97214 - in reply to #97184)

Expert Yogi

It seems to me I have read some good commentary on this sort of thought by the Dalai Lama. If someone cuts you off in traffic, you get angry, then cultivate an opposite emotion such as compassion. "I hope that person is able to stay safe until he reaches his destination" or something like that.
seeker
Posted 2007-09-30 12:30 PM (#97221 - in reply to #97214)

tourist - 2007-09-30 11:53 AM

It seems to me I have read some good commentary on this sort of thought by the Dalai Lama. If someone cuts you off in traffic, you get angry, then cultivate an opposite emotion such as compassion. "I hope that person is able to stay safe until he reaches his destination" or something like that.

That's the whole point. If someone annoys me greatly, how can I wish him well?
tourist
Posted 2007-09-30 8:25 PM (#97226 - in reply to #97221)

Expert Yogi

You just do it. It takes practice.

You can start on a simpler scale. If I am driving behind someone who is very slow and I can't get past, I imagine that they are looking for a house number or lost or elderly and afraid or.... the possibilities are endless. I think of times when my driving might have bothered someone - when I was sick and trying to get home, when a family member had just died etc. and imagine the person in front of me now has a similar problem. The next step is to imagine they don't have a problem and still have compassion.

Did anyone tell you that any of this was going to be easy???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)