YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Addition of Chanting Audios
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-01 11:18 PM (#97261)
Subject: Addition of Chanting Audios

The following 4 audios recently released are now added to my website with short samples. Please enjoy:

- Shree Vishnu Sahasranaama
- Health and Yoga Aphorisms of SaeeTech (English and Sanskrit)
- Shree Devi
- Sankata Naashana Stotram of Shree Ganesha

http://www.authenticyoga.org/audios/

Edited by kulkarnn 2007-10-01 11:19 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2007-10-09 3:19 PM (#97614 - in reply to #97261)
Subject: RE: Addition of Chanting Audios

Extreme Veteran

Neel, how do you break down the Yoga Sutra chanting CDs track-wise?

What I mean is, is Chapter I one track?
Or do you break it down by verse, each verse is a separate track?
(So Chapter I alone would have 51 verses.)

I have a CD of the Yoga Sutras rendered by Kausthub Desikachar, and each chapter is a track. I'm considering copying it to my computer, and breaking it down to verse, so I can easier practice one verse 2-3 times in a row.

That is why I'm asking.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-09 10:09 PM (#97630 - in reply to #97614)

Dear Dr DJ: I have not seen respected Desikachar audio. My audios give a one to one instruction in chanting. Which means, it gives the next alternative to learning in person from a teacher. This kind of audio instruction I have for:

Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Shree Gayatri Mantram, Shree Mahamrutyunjaya mantram, and Sankata Naashana stotram of Shree Ganesha. I also custom made chanting instruction for some persons, such as Sis Tourist. All this work also comes with a speech on chanting and meaning, etc.

So, it is not a question of breaking Sutra by Sutra. It is how one shall teach to chant in person.

I hope it was somewhat useful.

DJ Dre - 2007-10-09 3:19 PM

Neel, how do you break down the Yoga Sutra chanting CDs track-wise?

What I mean is, is Chapter I one track?
Or do you break it down by verse, each verse is a separate track?
(So Chapter I alone would have 51 verses.)

I have a CD of the Yoga Sutras rendered by Kausthub Desikachar, and each chapter is a track. I'm considering copying it to my computer, and breaking it down to verse, so I can easier practice one verse 2-3 times in a row.

That is why I'm asking.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-09 10:14 PM (#97631 - in reply to #97261)

Sorry, I did not answer your question still, I think:

I have instructional tracks and complet tracks. Instructional track is one per chapter, but it teaches instructional. And, then I have complete tracks which shall be result of your practice as given in the instructional speech. In some audios, there are many versions of instructional tracks and also many versions of complete tracks. Complete tracks can be used for Meditation.

If you are thinking of editing audio yourself, I think you are wasting time.
Andre
Posted 2007-10-09 11:00 PM (#97637 - in reply to #97261)

Extreme Veteran

When you say a complete track... do mean, for example, that it's you chanting the first chapter of the Yoga Sutras?

To be clear, I'm not looking for the instructional component. (Although I'd listen to it if I bought it.) I'm getting instruction. I'm looking for a recording of the Sutras being chanted that I can chant along with, but that has each verse as a separate track, so I can repeat the verse maybe 3 times in a row, so that I can practice it. And then do the next verse three times in a row and so on. I'm just learning Sanskrit, and some of these lines are doozies. Pronouncing some of these words requires significant repetition for me at this stage.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-10 8:46 AM (#97648 - in reply to #97261)

Dear Dr DJ: I think I am not able to answer your query. The only thing I can say is:

- you must ask the questions to the instructor or teacher whom you are learning for. That is why I give my readers/students option to email me any questions they have after the instruction.

- using one material and asking question on that to another instructor or friend does not work for me.

- I am not saying your asking is wrong. It may be me who is not able to answer. May be Jonnie or Tourist who have experience in this can answer better.

- If you want to use my material, you can purchase it if you can afford. If you can not afford, then give me what you can afford. It is like Yoga Class perhaps. Once you try, you shall know.

- I apologize if I disappointed you.

Peace and Love
Neel
tourist
Posted 2007-10-10 10:01 AM (#97650 - in reply to #97637)
Subject: RE: Addition of Chanting Audio

Expert Yogi

DJ - in the instructional chanting I have done with Neel, he chants line by line and leaves space for the student to repeat. Actually, he breaks up the lines into small chunks first so we have time to get our tongues around some of those doozy syllables I believe this is the traditional call and response type of chanting and certainly the way I have been taught by my Iyengar teachers. I have enjoyed Neel's teaching a lot and hope to order his cd's soon!

Oh - and you might want to check with your teacher to see if it is ok to get outside instruction. Teachers do vary in their methods and even some in pronunciation (India is a BIG country and there are regional differences in accents) so you probably need to bear that in mind.
Andre
Posted 2007-10-10 12:58 PM (#97664 - in reply to #97261)

Extreme Veteran

No worries, Neel.

I must be having some articulation problems.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-10 11:10 PM (#97676 - in reply to #97261)

Dear DJ: I wish you all the best. My personal feeling is that you should ask your question to the instructor whose instruction you are giving. But, just to satisfy myself, I am giving you the way my audio instruction is structured. Look at the description of tracks for the audio I shall release in few weeks. It is called "Instructional and Meditation Chanting - Shree Maha Mrutyunjaya Mantra". This mantras is a couple of lines only. Same idea applies in all my instructional audios, includng the 4 chapters of Shree Paanjali Yoga Sutras.

Track1: Introduction to the audio and Instructions for using this audio.
Track2: Commentary and Translation of Shree MMM
Track3: Word by word practice
Track4: Phrase by phrase practice
Track5: Normal speed unison practice
Track6: High speed unison practice
Track7: Full mantram practice
Track8: Meditational listening
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum