YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

---
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Sleepy
Posted 2007-10-02 5:02 AM (#97266)
Subject: ---

(Edit: Deepest apologies. I just signed up to this forum. I meant to put this in the other thread about Dahn-sorry. )
Hey there.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why Dahn gets so much crap. I agree that it's expensive, but it's in no way like a cult, and I'm extremely wary of such institutions. Everything was extremely professional and nothing odd ever occurred at any of the meetings I've been to, and I signed up for the three month course.
My center was all Korean and so they taught us some simple words and phrases in Korean, such as numbers from 1 to ten, hello, instructor, etc.

We began each class by standing in a circle and doing some simple deep breathing and tapping exercises, and ended with a lengthy meditation+stretching afterwards. At the end of every class everybody sits in a circle and she brings out tea for us to all drink and discuss how the class went, any problems we were having, etc.

I admit that Dahn is unlike most yoga programs, but different doesn't equal bad. Dahn instructors are very focused on toxins, and mine believed that when you do some sort of exercise that is particularly painful, it is because there's blockage in that area, and the only way to rid yourself of said blockage is to continue and build your strength.

I don't know if they follow the same curriculum everywhere, but some of the things we did included:

-A stamina exercise which requires us to lay on our backs with our legs as though we were crawling upside down and arms in the air and hold the position through about five songs. I think it was called the Sleeping Tiger or something. It's intended to be used for clearing your mind-and it works. After a while all you can think about, no matter how angry or upset you are, is the burning in your thighs, lol. It's very good for strengthening the body, from the arms to the stomach/core, to the legs.

-Energy building. Sitting up with our eyes closed, we attempt to build energy in our hands and make said energy into a ball to manipulate. This was my favorite exercise.

-Meditation. I saw someone else's post on here about how her instructor put their hand on her chest or stomach, and sometimes they do do that, but she said it with some sort of creepy implication, which is NOT how it is at all. The meditation is supposed to be eyes closed, but if you peek around, you'll see the instructors going from person to person, putting their hands on their chest or stomach to ensure that they are breathing in the proper way, and sometimes they'll apply light pressure to decrease your breathing speed or increase the depth to which you breath, because if they speak to you constantly they're not letting you meditate properly. It's not groping.

-My center did an aura test with this computer, and I dunno how legit that was but I don't care 'cause I didn't pay extra or anything. Using the picture the computer generates and interpreting the colors they set me up with a session where the instructor attempts to heal certain parts of your aura. You basically go into a room and chill with some music on a mat while the instructor presses your stomach to move your guts around and therefore release some toxins and moves her hands over the air over your body. It's no big deal, you don't have to do it, and it doesn't cost extra.

-Sometimes we'd have sessions where we'd do a few stretches and then she'd put on some music and tell us just do do what our body told us to do. It was some really great tribal drum beats and stuff and she told us not to move voluntarily, just let the music do what it does, and when you stand there long enough you'll feel yourself moving. Everyone has their eyes closed so the instructor walks around making sure when people dance they don't deck each other, because by half an hour everyone is waving their arms and spinning and jumping and going crazy, having a great time. I peeked.
Basically it's where people get to dance like retards for an hour and be kids again.

I personally had a great time and I thought it was a wonderful program. I unfortunately couldn't continue due to the fact that it was expensive, but it's definitely NOT a freaky cult and it's NOT screwed up. I give it an A.

Edited by Sleepy 2007-10-02 5:06 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-02 8:30 AM (#97270 - in reply to #97266)
Subject: RE: ---

Hiya,
if you do a search on Dahn here , you'll see from older threads that not everyone's experience has been as happy a one as yours. Maybe your centre has been more focussed on the yoga rather than the business but, unfortunately, some of their centres seem more concerned over getting your cash than aiding you.

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-02 9:02 AM (#97274 - in reply to #97266)

Dear Sleepy: I kind of agree with you. What I think happens is: Some people think that Yoga Studio is not a business since Yoga subject has to do with spirituality. But, actually, a studio is always a business at least to some extent, because transaction is involved. And, in a society like USA, one has full freedom of transaction. So, I do not have any problem with Dahn asking for more money. It is upto the student to accept or not accept. If they are playing mischief, only that needs to be brought up.

And, there is no need to compare their fees with others in general.

Sleepy
Posted 2007-10-02 2:18 PM (#97303 - in reply to #97270)

Orbilia - 2007-10-02 8:30 AM

Hiya,
if you do a search on Dahn here , you'll see from older threads that not everyone's experience has been as happy a one as yours. Maybe your centre has been more focussed on the yoga rather than the business but, unfortunately, some of their centres seem more concerned over getting your cash than aiding you.

Fee

That's unfortunate considering. I thought it was a great program-but then again, that's the only formal yoga class I've ever taken, so I have nothing to compare.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-03 5:44 AM (#97342 - in reply to #97303)

If it's worked for you, I wouldn't stress over it. As I said, your centre may have been fine. At any rate, it's now the perfect excuse to try other classes. All strictly in the name of research for comparison purposes of course :-)

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)