YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Training with arthritus in hip
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

bucktooth
Posted 2007-10-02 4:31 PM (#97319)
Subject: Training with arthritus in hip

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritus in my hip area,which makes movement in that area painful sometimes.There are days I feel great after a practice session and at other times i'm left wondering wether yoga is really benificial for me or not.Some days I have a great practice and feel like this is the way to go,as far as therapy goes.

Is anyone else in this situation?and if you are....what do you do to aleviate some of the discomfort associated with arthritus and yoga?

any help with this problem is apreciated.

Thanks

Edited by bucktooth 2007-10-02 4:32 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-02 11:02 PM (#97336 - in reply to #97319)
Subject: RE: Training with arthritus in hip

Stop the Ashtantga style yoga exercise. Take up more customized yoga exercise learnt in a private environment. And, enjoy it.

bucktooth - 2007-10-02 4:31 PM

any help with this problem is apreciated.

Thanks
okidoll
Posted 2007-10-05 6:23 PM (#97480 - in reply to #97319)
Subject: RE: Training with arthritus in

I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis and I could not practice Ashtanga every day. I let my body lead the way. I don't know what I would call my practice other than mine - I've taken Ashtanga and Hatha classes and some sort of free flowing whatchamacallit in the year and a half I've been practicing. I start out with sun salutations B and go from there. Sometimes I hold the standing poses for 20 breaths, and sometimes I hold them for 10. There are many days when I don't have a lot of energy, and it is all I can do to move slowly. I've not felt well the last week so I have done a lot of slow moving practice. I'd be happy to lay out what I usually do, but I do not know the formal names. I just know the "westernized" terms - down dog, pigeon, low lunge, etc.

I have a lot of DVD's from Rodney Yee, Patricia Walden - mostly produced by Gaiam . I have some books The two books I use most are - Baron Baptiste - Journey Into Power and The Woman's Book of Yoga (Patricia Walden co author).

Every day is different with me, and I do take meds which I can't usually move without. I always have to move around a bit before I try to practice. Hot tub, hot bath/shower or a warm pool
can help give some mobility.

The best piece of advice I can give - listen to yourself and do not force anything.
Argeroth
Posted 2008-02-29 3:49 PM (#104159 - in reply to #97480)

OkiDoll,

Obviously I do not know how much research you have done, I have never experienced Arthritus, nor cured it... but I have HEARD in more than one occasion.. that arthritus is a direct result of mineral deficiency... you may want to do some reading if you have not done so already...

http://www.upnaway.com.au/~poliowa/Away%20with%20Arthritis.html   <-- Somewhere to start  

Cheers

okidoll - 2007-10-05 6:23 PM I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis and I could not practice Ashtanga every day. I let my body lead the way. I don't know what I would call my practice other than mine - I've taken Ashtanga and Hatha classes and some sort of free flowing whatchamacallit in the year and a half I've been practicing. I start out with sun salutations B and go from there. Sometimes I hold the standing poses for 20 breaths, and sometimes I hold them for 10. There are many days when I don't have a lot of energy, and it is all I can do to move slowly. I've not felt well the last week so I have done a lot of slow moving practice. I'd be happy to lay out what I usually do, but I do not know the formal names. I just know the "westernized" terms - down dog, pigeon, low lunge, etc. I have a lot of DVD's from Rodney Yee, Patricia Walden - mostly produced by Gaiam . I have some books The two books I use most are - Baron Baptiste - Journey Into Power and The Woman's Book of Yoga (Patricia Walden co author). Every day is different with me, and I do take meds which I can't usually move without. I always have to move around a bit before I try to practice. Hot tub, hot bath/shower or a warm pool can help give some mobility. The best piece of advice I can give - listen to yourself and do not force anything.

Roy Batty
Posted 2008-03-01 12:59 PM (#104189 - in reply to #97319)
Subject: RE: Training with arthritus in hip

Regular

Have you tried Bikram or Iyengar? From my experience Bikram has been very accessable to people that have a hard time with a flow style. I know for myself having shoulder issues, Bikram has been far more beneficial for me persoanly than flow even though I really enjoy Ashatanga or Power yoga but can't really do it on a regular basis. I would reccomend seeking out as many styles as you can and find what speaks to you. Real teachers will also be far more helpful that books or DVDs. Good luck and don't assume that yoga is not for you.
lewellen17
Posted 2008-03-01 4:49 PM (#104200 - in reply to #97319)

I haven't any experience with arthritis, but maybe ashtanga is not the best style of yoga for you unless you can find an instructor who can give you specific advice and modifications to accommodate your hip. Have you tried other forms of yoga? Iyengar uses a lot of props and modifications to tailor the practice to individual needs; ashtanga can be fairly inflexible in that regard (depending on the teacher, of course!). I would urge you to find a teacher who has worked with arthritis sufferers and can give more individualised instruction.

This article has some good information -

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/patient-corner/disease-management/yoga.html

namaste

Posted 2008-03-01 5:49 PM (#104201 - in reply to #104200)

That is a fantastic write up on yoga. I'm bookmarking it - emphasizes the non-physical as well as the physical.

Thanks.
Vic
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)