YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has yoga really helped?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

yogalife
Posted 2007-10-09 11:23 AM (#97594)
Subject: Has yoga really helped?

Hi all in this forum,
I'm a writer very interested in hearing what other yogis have to say about using yoga to quit, start, or otherwise resolve to do something - anything - such as losing weight and keeping it off, quitting smoking or keeping to a resolve of quitting, of manifesting one's dreams, becoming prosperous through yoga, eating better, etc. etc. ...anything that has inspired one's life just by being on the yogic path.

I am in the process of writing a book called the Yoga of Resolution which I am hoping to receive submissions for from different yogis who have actually been inspired to change their life for the better through their knowledge, practice or interest in yoga. You don't have to be a professional - just a regular old person who has used yoga to quit doing drugs, to be inspired to eat better, to heal yourself of an "incurable" or debilitating disease, or any other type of inspiring thing you could think of.

If anyone out there has interest in contributing a chapter to this book, could you please email me? I will be publishing this by Thanksgiving of this year, so time is important. A chapter in this book could be one page long or twenty pages long - it doesn't have to be perfect. Although I cannot compensate you for this, I will certainly give you credits in the book on the chapter that you write, I will send you a copy of this book and you will have earned a title of co-author in the book which will eventually be marketed worldwide. I will publish your work as you write it, if any changes needed to be made grammatically or for editing purposes, I would email the changes to you before publication.

I would be happy to talk more with any serious students or writers who wish to contribute.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

All love,
Siri Temple
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-09 12:14 PM (#97595 - in reply to #97594)
Subject: RE: Has yoga really helped?

Thanks Siri: Questions:

1. What shall be the name of the book?

2. What is the exact purpose of this book. e.g. desertation, promotion of a business, social service, etc.

3. Will you be able include the Author Name, Website, EMail ID, and Postal Address along with the chapter?

4. What details shall be in the preface of this book?

5. Will the author loose rights over the material written once it is published in your book?

Thanks.
yogalife
Posted 2007-10-09 12:45 PM (#97597 - in reply to #97595)

Wow, thank you so much for your thoughtful questions. It always helps to hear what others have thought of in creating this book.

I believe the name of the book will be the Yoga of Resolution with a subtitle of something like, 25 Yogis Reveal How Yoga Transformed Their Life, Addictions, Habits, and Health

I will be able to offer all information of the author including generous bio, email, weblink, contact information, current products, etc. in the sig box at the end of the chapter.

Authors will be able to reprint their information in other publications with written permission from me.

The reason for creating this book: Before I "found" yoga (or before it found me, I guess I should say) I struggled personally all of my life with various addictions including drug addiction, weight, alcohol addiction, smoking cigarettes, overworking doing jobs I did not enjoy, poor health in general. But somehow, when I began even a modest practice of yoga 6 years ago, I began to notice that my habits just somehow fell away one by one until I found myself happy, healthy, and miraculously whole. Not only do I not do any of these self defeating habits anymore, I have zero craving to do them or be on a path other than that of total thankfulness and health. This year I founded a nonprofit Integrated Healthcare facility on MDI, Maine, with another yogi where we focus on yoga, yoga therapy, natural healthcare, western herbalism, ayurveda, mindfulness based stress reduction, etc. to create a naturally healthy person. My wish to write a book would be to inspire others to open the door to yoga to become whole again. Although I feel my story is very compelling, I realize that my ability to inspire and open the door for everyone in all walks of life is impossible - I need a lot of different stories from others who have had their own encounters with yoga to make the book credible and interesting, as well as believable to others aspiring to try yoga for the first time or stay inspired to practice through the tough times in their lives. So I believe this is a book for social service, though the side effect will be promotion of natural healthcare and yoga in general.

The preface is still up in the air. I would like to get Amy Weintraub to write a preface - she is author of Yoga for Depression and I have trained with her extensively. I would like for her to write about the incredibly transformative effects of a daily yoga practice in her own life and in her private practice with clients.

I think I answered all of your questions - if not, I will be happy to revisit the info.

All love,
Siri

Posted 2007-10-09 1:17 PM (#97601 - in reply to #97594)

Yoga itself is the tool of transformation. In some cases, call them the blatant or obvious, the transformation is measured by a shift or change in destructive behavior - drug addiction, excess weight, physical abuse et al.

Just as the subtlties of asana action are lost (mostly due to the rush to do 40 asanas in a 90 minute time period) so too are the subtlties of transformation. While the gross transformations of overcoming addiction or losing a percentaage of body fat are easily observable for tally it is our mandate as yogis to pay attention to the subtlties that transformation delivers. In this way we don't need to be bowled over to recognize our forward progress. And when we are able to sense this inertia pointing forward (in our lives as in Evolving) then we can be motivated, empowered, or "spurred on" by the feather rather than the anvil.

For many of us, myself included, the path of yoga is not about scaling an addiction (though it is always a wonderous thing when the efficacy of yoga reveals it's power for even those buried in avidya to see. For me the transformation is daily rather than one event. For me the transformation is about the way I live my life, the way I engage relationship; relationship with the my Self, my significant other, the planet. And, to me, this looms as a much larger transformation then dealing with my penchant for chocolate chip cookies.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-10-09 1:24 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-09 2:01 PM (#97606 - in reply to #97597)

Thanks for directly sending the answers. I admire and respect your work. Count me for one chapter. I shall be sending it in a day or two. I shall also help you in getting more chapters from my friends and students.

Best luck in such a wonderful work.

OM shantiH

yogalife - 2007-10-09 12:45 PM

Wow, thank you so much for your thoughtful questions. It always helps to hear what others have thought of in creating this book.

I believe the name of the book will be the Yoga of Resolution with a subtitle of something like, 25 Yogis Reveal How Yoga Transformed Their Life, Addictions, Habits, and Health

I will be able to offer all information of the author including generous bio, email, weblink, contact information, current products, etc. in the sig box at the end of the chapter.

Authors will be able to reprint their information in other publications with written permission from me.

The reason for creating this book: Before I "found" yoga (or before it found me, I guess I should say) I struggled personally all of my life with various addictions including drug addiction, weight, alcohol addiction, smoking cigarettes, overworking doing jobs I did not enjoy, poor health in general. But somehow, when I began even a modest practice of yoga 6 years ago, I began to notice that my habits just somehow fell away one by one until I found myself happy, healthy, and miraculously whole. Not only do I not do any of these self defeating habits anymore, I have zero craving to do them or be on a path other than that of total thankfulness and health. This year I founded a nonprofit Integrated Healthcare facility on MDI, Maine, with another yogi where we focus on yoga, yoga therapy, natural healthcare, western herbalism, ayurveda, mindfulness based stress reduction, etc. to create a naturally healthy person. My wish to write a book would be to inspire others to open the door to yoga to become whole again. Although I feel my story is very compelling, I realize that my ability to inspire and open the door for everyone in all walks of life is impossible - I need a lot of different stories from others who have had their own encounters with yoga to make the book credible and interesting, as well as believable to others aspiring to try yoga for the first time or stay inspired to practice through the tough times in their lives. So I believe this is a book for social service, though the side effect will be promotion of natural healthcare and yoga in general.

The preface is still up in the air. I would like to get Amy Weintraub to write a preface - she is author of Yoga for Depression and I have trained with her extensively. I would like for her to write about the incredibly transformative effects of a daily yoga practice in her own life and in her private practice with clients.

I think I answered all of your questions - if not, I will be happy to revisit the info.

All love,
Siri
Andre
Posted 2007-10-09 3:10 PM (#97612 - in reply to #97594)

Extreme Veteran

purna: For me the transformation is daily rather than one event. For me the transformation is about the way I live my life, the way I engage relationship; relationship with the my Self, my significant other, the planet.

I agree. My personal practice is finally addressing what you describe here, continual transformation and acceptance... beyond the drastic shuddering change.

And while the original inquiry does seem to emphasis the dramatic life changing event, I'm pretty sure there would be room for stories on the subtle day to day changes.

Housekeeping Note: I deleted the duplicate thread in Bikrams, and moved this folder from Weight Loss to general.
yogalife
Posted 2007-10-09 7:51 PM (#97623 - in reply to #97606)

Thank you so so so much. I couldn't do this work without my fellow yogis.

Your forwarding and gathering other interested folks would be so incredibly helpful.

All blessings to you!

Thank you again. And please let me know if you have any questions or concerns at all in this process. I am in the process of checking out your website and work as well. Looking forward to hearing from you and honoring your story.

Love and Hari Om,
Siri
yogalife
Posted 2007-10-09 7:54 PM (#97624 - in reply to #97612)

Hi ...
Just wanted to let you all know that subtle day to day transformational changes are so welcome as a submission in the book as well. I would love to hear what you have to say about the gradual and time honored change that comes with your life of yoga.

All light,
Siri
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-10 11:22 AM (#97656 - in reply to #97595)

kulkarnn - 2007-10-09 12:14 PM

neel, if you were observant you would have saw it written in his first post on the topic

jesus once said something like
there are those who see, but do not see, there are those who hear but do not hear

similar to
there are those who read but do not read

the art of listening is an art to be practiced
seeker
Orbilia
Posted 2007-10-10 11:53 AM (#97657 - in reply to #97656)

How much is the fee for the contributor (yoga has helped me to voice what I want)?

Fee

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-10 12:45 PM (#97661 - in reply to #97656)

Darling Tubeseeker:

You are going down the tube again and seeking the unnecessary details leaving aside the necessary ones.

Yes, the name of the book was given in the initial post and I had read it. But, there is no problem in asking it again for confirmation. See what he said in the response (I believe the name of the book will be the Yoga of Resolution ). It says 'I believe'. This gives a chance to rethink it and confirm or modify as necessary.

BTW: I do not use Jesus for such things. I use Jesus to know devotion to god and helping people out. For such things, I take training from English language and public communications resources.

But, I still thank you as I can consider you Public Com resource.

Peace.

tubeseeker - 2007-10-10 11:22 AM

kulkarnn - 2007-10-09 12:14 PM

neel, if you were observant you would have saw it written in his first post on the topic

jesus once said something like
there are those who see, but do not see, there are those who hear but do not hear

similar to
there are those who read but do not read

the art of listening is an art to be practiced
seeker
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-11 12:23 PM (#97696 - in reply to #97594)

Neel
for anything I say to you that is unwarented I honestly offer my most humble appologies, only you know what is and is not warrented

enjoy your journey
a hopefully humble seeker
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-11 10:12 PM (#97725 - in reply to #97594)

Hey tube: I love you. Do not you see that. No apologies in love and all is fun.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)