YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Out of body experience
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Tyler
Posted 2007-10-09 5:36 PM (#97621)
Subject: Out of body experience

I am relatively new to yoga--since January, but I have been taking classes five days a week all summer and fall with two wonderful teachers. I had a very strange experience about two weeks ago and haven't known where to get any understanding of it. During relaxation that day, my teacher was playing a CD where the name "Shiva" was the chief meditation sound. I was breathing (u-jai breath) to the sound of the music and voice. At some point, I felt a warm hand massaging my stomach. Startled that my teacher would do such, I opened my eyes but she was sitting in meditation and no one else was near me (we were lying down). I went back into my breathing and soon thereafter felt a large snake slither across my stomach. Both sensations seemed real at the time. I went so far as to brush my hand across my stomach--nothing, of course, was there. I asked my teacher and the others in my class whether anyone ever had such experiences. It was the wrong question as my teacher laughed and said "of course, Tyler, you've just had one." What I meant to ask was whether anyone else had had such an experience and what it all meant. Just yesterday I felt in mediation that my wrists were locked to the ground, not a pleasant feeling. Any help anyone can give me would be wonderful. One good friend who is an experienced yoga participant told me that Shiva is closely associated with snakes and that my kundalini energy must be high. I'd never heard that term before and still do not know what she meant. I have, however, been to India and have seen many images of Shiva.

Many thanks for any help. Tyler (who LOVES yoga)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-10 12:55 PM (#97662 - in reply to #97621)
Subject: RE: Out of body experience

Dear Tyler:
Do not worry about all this if this is only one time experience. Any consideration should be given if and only if this happens say at least 108 times over a period of one year. Otherwise, you can ingnore it.

The above is my personal suggestion.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-10-18 10:12 PM (#98185 - in reply to #97621)

For some reason you are just able to enter into other states of awareness via yoga. 99% or more of yoga practioners do not experience this. You are probably just psychically attuned...Try developing these talents further. You are a rarity.
dtpbach
Posted 2007-12-11 11:37 AM (#100605 - in reply to #97621)

I just had a female student from India tell me that she had an OOBE in final savasana in my class last night and she said she can astral travel in that state very easily. I had another student listening and he wanted to know how to do that. I replied that her ability to do that was very rare and she was most likely gifted.

I can get into complete and total relaxation but never to another place (unless I'm dreaming).

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-12-11 11:47 AM (#100607 - in reply to #97621)

personally I have had some experiences, but it is nothing to be proud of or brag about, I am not implying that you are bragging. When you experience it, just enjoy it and witness it. After some of my experiences I wanted to do it again, and guess what, it did not come back. Only when I had given up trying to have them come back, some come back. If you get fixated on these things you have attachment, part of yoga is non attachment. Of these things you talk about, see if you can find someone who knows how to answer your questions. If your current teachers cannnot assist you any further then maybe you are meant to look elsewhere to someone who can nurish you.

Posted 2007-12-11 12:17 PM (#100609 - in reply to #97621)

Hello Tyler.

Would you please share more about you and your background?
I can, from your post, presume you are male but beyond that I have no knowledge of you as a person. Please fill in some of the blanks.

What sort of practice are you doing? Are you practicing outside of the classroom setting? What sort of pranayama are you doing? What is your health background? Are you currently or have you been on any medication? Do you have any experience with recreational drug use? Do you smoke or drink? What does your current diet consist of?

Finally, what is your intention for practice and why are you engaging Ujjayi breath in Savasana?

With this information I might direct you more appropriately.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-12-11 12:18 PM
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-12-12 8:56 AM (#100663 - in reply to #97621)

in the class I attend we do ujayi breath during relaxation pose to help further calm the mind and then get to a point where we stop the breathign practice. It helps to keep the mind from wandering and relaxes it further in my experience
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)