YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Training for Teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Kritter
Posted 2007-10-09 6:20 PM (#97622)
Subject: Training for Teaching

Hello All,

I have been thinking for awhile now about getting certified in teaching yoga (along with some other health oriented goals such as herbalist certification and possibly ayurveda). At this point in time the only experience I have with it is through DVD programs and books. I am looking for advice on the best approach to get to certification. I'm not looking for a quick, easy opportunity. However, I would like to make the most of my time. Currently I'm an hour away from any yoga studio. For someone interested in teaching, how often would you suggest they spend in the studio? Am I best off to get through the DVD's and the books and then start with the classroom?

I'm considering going to CA next summer for a 3 week certification seminar. I'd like to be ready.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Regards,
Kritter
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-10-10 12:04 AM (#97640 - in reply to #97622)
Subject: RE: Training for Teaching

For the purposes of this post I'll assume we are discussing asana and using the word Yoga as a synonym.

What is your intention for teaching Yoga? It is only from this that an authentic answer for you can be revealed. Such a clarification of your intention will indicate what sort of training will suit you, how that curriculum might be structured, and how you might place yourself in position to be in position for a teacher training.

My personal feeling is that taking classes and bringing asana into your body must precede any shift into teaching. My concern with doing so through books and videos is that the propensity for mal-alignment, incorrect action, and misinterpretation are significantly greater than when one is studying with a qualified teacher.

There is, to me, an authenticity in teaching Yoga and that authenticity is facilitated by the teacher having "been there" in a variety of ways, on a variety of levels. Therefore some significant years of practice would logically preced a teacher training.

Certification is another matter as one can get "certification" in an 18-hour weekend. Again, what is the intention and what is meant by certification? If one is refering to a 200-hour Yoga Alliance registry, well that is not a certification but it does seem to carry some weight as a credibility component.

Upon what do you base your interest in teaching yoga?

Posted 2007-10-10 10:19 AM (#97652 - in reply to #97622)

well, ok. hmm. this is a toughy.

purna asks all the right questions, as usual.

and, being conservative as i am about this, i would say that you should be in the studio weekly or more for a year or two before going into training OR that an immersion would be good for you--possibly one that is 3 months or so, as kripalu does.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-10 12:57 PM (#97663 - in reply to #97622)

Kritter: First email me and then we shall talk on phone so I can give you my opinion on the teacher training as per questions you asked. I have to ask you lot of questions before that. So, I choose not to respond here.

Kritter - 2007-10-09 6:20 PM

Hello All,

I have been thinking for awhile now about getting certified in teaching yoga (along with some other health oriented goals such as herbalist certification and possibly ayurveda). At this point in time the only experience I have with it is through DVD programs and books. I am looking for advice on the best approach to get to certification. I'm not looking for a quick, easy opportunity. However, I would like to make the most of my time. Currently I'm an hour away from any yoga studio. For someone interested in teaching, how often would you suggest they spend in the studio? Am I best off to get through the DVD's and the books and then start with the classroom?

I'm considering going to CA next summer for a 3 week certification seminar. I'd like to be ready.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Regards,
Kritter
Kym
Posted 2007-10-11 11:18 AM (#97693 - in reply to #97622)

You said an hour away from any yoga studio. Have you researched if yoga is offered in other places in your area? Sometimes it can be offered through city rec centers, churches, and gyms. Can you answer me that first, then I'll give you my opinion?
Kritter
Posted 2007-10-11 9:37 PM (#97723 - in reply to #97622)

Yes, I have researched this. Currently the closest yoga classes are about an hour away from me in a few directions. I've been waiting and hoping that something would come up closer to me.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-10-12 1:40 PM (#97768 - in reply to #97622)

I would practice for at least one year before you try to get certified.

And, I would teach only postures that I can do.

Hope this helps,

Eric
ollie
Posted 2007-10-12 1:56 PM (#97774 - in reply to #97768)

TampaEric - 2007-10-12 12:40 PM

And, I would teach only postures that I can do.

Hope this helps,

Eric

So, in classes that I sub, should we just stay in mountain for 30 minutes and corpse for 30 minutes?
TampaEric
Posted 2007-10-12 2:15 PM (#97776 - in reply to #97774)

Well, I don't know Ollie. I'm sure you can do a few more. Cobra, child, downdog, seated twists, legs up the wall.

I prefer to teach postures that I can do.
Kym
Posted 2007-10-13 11:57 AM (#97819 - in reply to #97622)

Do you want to teach because no one else in your area teaches and you want to bring it to your area? You are in a really tough situation. You want to learn to teach, but you have nowhere to practice your skills, or learn them from a live person. I suppose I'd suck it up an drive that hour at least once per week, and start taking classes. After you try lots of different classes and find a teacher you click with, I'd ask her if you could apprentice under her. Then, I'd go from there. There are many different paths to get to your goal, but from where you stand, this sounds like a decent way to start.

Posted 2007-10-13 12:17 PM (#97821 - in reply to #97622)

kym:

i think that apprenticing like that is a viable option. with the drive, it is difficult, but you do get used to it. my mom drove that far for quite a while for lessons, and i used to drive a good 35-40 minutes for my apprenticeship--and an hour to law school back when.

one of my husband's teachers (iado) drove to NYC from state college--5 hours at least--to study with his teacher. when he was getting his training, he went every weekend--drove up friday night and drove home sunday morning. now, he tends to go once a month.

it definintely can be tough, but it can also be worth it.

and, i would drive in every direction possible, btw. not just one studio over there, but any that are available in the radius, and see what comes up.

i think that the immersion would be 'quickest' but it's also hard to get that kind of "time off." one of my friends just spent 6 weeks in immersion in india. it was quite a sacrifice for her.
Kym
Posted 2007-10-13 6:30 PM (#97831 - in reply to #97622)

ZB-I traveled for one hour each way to get my master's degree. Yes, it's definitely a viable option.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-13 11:21 PM (#97840 - in reply to #97622)

In 1976, I lived in Kerala for my Summer Training (Aerospace Engg.) for 4 months. And, (only two weeks, that is all I met him with a life time impact), I was going to my one Yoga Teacher. I was walking 1 hour or more one way. Looking back now, I feel that was a long walk! No, it was very enjoyable, I was unmarried and I had time in the evening. But, with children, family, work, etc. it can be a lot, I guess.

deepsubodh
Posted 2007-10-14 6:25 AM (#97850 - in reply to #97622)

hey great dear its very good im a yoga teacher but from india so just i can give you my best wishes for your job
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)