YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ayurveda & Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Leabo
Posted 2007-10-13 9:33 PM (#97837)
Subject: Ayurveda & Yoga

Last night I had a conversation with my Aunt who turns out to have been studying Yoga
and Ayerveda for the last 25 years.

When I told her I was new to Yoga and asked if she could suggest a good style of Yoga,
she told me I should base it on my Ayervedic Constitutional type.

She said both systems (Ayerveda & Yoga) were developed together and traditionally in India have been practiced togeher for centuries, it's only here in the west that you rarely see or hear of Ayerveda & Yoga being practiced together.

Ayerveda being the Vedic science of healing for both body & mind and Yoga being the Vedic science of Self realization that depends on a well functioning body & mind.

I found it very interesting and she left me several books for further study as well as a test to determine my constitional type (which turns out to be Bi-Dosha Pitta-Vatta).

Anyway my question to the forum is are there any people out there who are also using both
these holistic systems together? And what are your experiences & opinions?

Sorry if my post was a little lengthy,
John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-13 11:09 PM (#97839 - in reply to #97837)
Subject: RE: Ayurveda & Yoga

Since you asked for opinions (a can of ....), please see ===>

Leabo - 2007-10-13 9:33 PM

Last night I had a conversation with my Aunt who turns out to have been studying Yoga
and Ayerveda for the last 25 years.

When I told her I was new to Yoga and asked if she could suggest a good style of Yoga,
she told me I should base it on my Ayervedic Constitutional type.
===> Good style of Yoga? Style of Yoga was not present when Ayurveda was developed. Therefore, this statement is actually wrong.

She said both systems (Ayerveda & Yoga) were developed together and traditionally in India have been practiced togeher for centuries,
===> This statement is wrong because they are practiced in India at the same time by various people. But, both of them are NOT generally practiced by one person together.

it's only here in the west that you rarely see or hear of Ayerveda & Yoga being practiced together.
===> That is because both of them are new in the West. Though Yoga is more popular in its physical form and also in a Spiritual context. Whereas, Ayurveda faces and shall always face a big challenge by Allopathy.

Ayerveda being the Vedic science of healing for both body & mind and Yoga being the Vedic science of Self realization that depends on a well functioning body & mind.
===> This is to some extent true. But, that is not the reason why they are practiced together. Also, Ayurveda mainly deals with body and not with the mind. Whereas Yoga actually is supposed to deal with mind. But, Yoga Exercises work on the body as well. Yoga Exercises are NOT real Yoga. But, they are a great aid to Yoga practice. And, the Yoga that is part of Vedic science as very little to do with Yoga Exercises.

I found it very interesting and she left me several books for further study as well as a test to determine my constitional type (which turns out to be Bi-Dosha Pitta-Vatta).
===> If possible, you can list these.

Anyway my question to the forum is are there any people out there who are also using both
these holistic systems together? And what are your experiences & opinions?
===> I have studied both. And, Ayurveda has some good parts, but is mostly a mild symptomatic system similar to allopathy which is agressive and harmful. Both of these have extreme fallacies in them. Yoga of course is a much superior system and that is one reason it shall be more popular.

Sorry if my post was a little lengthy,
John
Leabo
Posted 2007-10-14 2:31 PM (#97864 - in reply to #97837)

Wow Kulkarnn,

I guess my Aunt had a lot of her facts wrong.

The books she left me were "Yoga & Ayerveda" by Dr. David Frawley

and "Ayerveda & Panchakarma" by Dr. Sunil V Joseph

Dr.Frawley's book seems to support everything my Aunt states,
I'll quote him exactly from the book

I'll qoute the first chapter of Dr David Frawleys Book

"Yoga and Ayurveda are two closely related spiritual or sacred sciences rooted in the Vedic Traditionof iIndia. Both disciplines developed together and have always been used together. Therefore, those who are interested in one would brnefit from studying the other."

Does he not know what he's talking about/

I thought he was a highly regarded autor & PHd.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-14 4:58 PM (#97869 - in reply to #97864)

Dear Lebado:
I bow down to David Frawley. He is a great person. I myself respect him. Do no take him lightly. But his following statement is not exactly true. I have to see that entire book. What he means probably is:

Usage of Yoga and Ayurveda mainly for therapeutic usage was done sort of together. And, for a long time. NOT since Vedic times. All this get mushy because, Vedic Times is a very flexible term. Let me tell you this: If you look at classical Yoga from Vedic which is reflected in Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (to get the proper translation of it, without excessive commentary, look at my book on my website), there is NOT even one sutra which talks about Ayurveda directly or curing diseases. And, clearly Ayurveda has developed as a therapeutic measure as meditative and other practices are already present in work prior to Ayurveda. Ayurveda is very similar to Traditional Chinese Medicine with Indian thoughts rather than Chinese. Anyway, I am not saying there is any harm in these two working in the therapeuitcs field together. (Leaving aside my personal theory that "All or Most therapeutics is WRONG". For this understanding, you have to read my book, Health and Yoga Aphorisms of SaeeTech with commentary.).

If you are interested, I can exchange my Health....book with you for David Frawlely's Ayurveda book, so that I can look at it.

I wish you and your aunt all the best.

Peace and Love

Leabo - 2007-10-14 2:31 PM

Wow Kulkarnn,

I guess my Aunt had a lot of her facts wrong.

The books she left me were "Yoga & Ayerveda" by Dr. David Frawley

and "Ayerveda & Panchakarma" by Dr. Sunil V Joseph

Dr.Frawley's book seems to support everything my Aunt states,
I'll quote him exactly from the book

I'll qoute the first chapter of Dr David Frawleys Book

"Yoga and Ayurveda are two closely related spiritual or sacred sciences rooted in the Vedic Traditionof iIndia. Both disciplines developed together and have always been used together. Therefore, those who are interested in one would brnefit from studying the other."

Does he not know what he's talking about/

I thought he was a highly regarded autor & PHd.

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-10-15 11:41 AM (#97898 - in reply to #97837)

I do have one question in regards to frawley and I mean it not being sarcastic but a truthful question. If he knows so much about yoga and ayurvedia, why does he wear such thick glasses. He should be able to heal his eyesight? I read his book and was left with the thought of OK, were do I start From my limited study of ayurvedia I do think there are some very good things about it. Just from what I have read and the things I have observed I have learned much more about my body. I can tell you what foods I disagree with and what food my body agrees with. from what I have read and experienced there seems to be a lot of validity in it, but nothing is %100 correct, what it comes down to is what works for you.

I will continue to research ayurvedic more in the future, but I will not see it as the holy grail so to speak, I do rank it many times higher then other forms of mediation. You can never go wrong when you watch what you eat, how you prepare your food, etc.....

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-10-15 11:45 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-15 12:38 PM (#97904 - in reply to #97898)

Fantastic TS. Exactly. Ayurveda has some good things in it. But, it is symptomatic after all.

tubeseeker - 2007-10-15 11:41 AM

I do have one question in regards to frawley and I mean it not being sarcastic but a truthful question. If he knows so much about yoga and ayurvedia, why does he wear such thick glasses. He should be able to heal his eyesight? I read his book and was left with the thought of OK, were do I start From my limited study of ayurvedia I do think there are some very good things about it. Just from what I have read and the things I have observed I have learned much more about my body. I can tell you what foods I disagree with and what food my body agrees with. from what I have read and experienced there seems to be a lot of validity in it, but nothing is %100 correct, what it comes down to is what works for you.

I will continue to research ayurvedic more in the future, but I will not see it as the holy grail so to speak, I do rank it many times higher then other forms of mediation. You can never go wrong when you watch what you eat, how you prepare your food, etc.....
Leabo
Posted 2007-10-15 1:14 PM (#97911 - in reply to #97837)

Neel,
If the book was mine I'd be happy to send it to you but I'm borrowing it.

Here is a link from Amazon where you can go in and actually view the first chapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/8120818792/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-6593559-8587244#reader-link

TS,

I agree with you. You need to take everything with a grain of salt. Coming from the martial
arts I learned the hard way that there are a lot of people either full of **** or just misinformed.

I guess as Bruce Lee said, use what is usefull and disregard the rest.

I find Ayurdveda very interesting and will continue my research & study

(particularly the food combining principles) in conjunction with my Yoga practice.

Thank you all for your replies.

Namaste,
John

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-16 12:03 AM (#97949 - in reply to #97911)

Dear John:
Thanks. I read the first chapter you stated below. This is what I can comment without actually reading further:

- the book is a great reading, of course, but only for those who are ready for it.

- for average reader, a commentary from the author that contains explanation in speech on what he is writing will be most useful, nay it is necessary. Just by reading the book, very minimal understanding of what he is trying to say is possible.

- what he is saying is yoga is really a main discipline of spiritual realization. ayurveda has borrowed practices and philosophies from yoga as after addressing the physical and emotional healing addressed through a natural medicine aspect, the Ayurveda further addresses the healing in a Spiriual Way. This is because it also assumes the existence of Spirit, Universal formation through brahman, etc. etc.

- however, when one applies Ayurveda in a way parallel to modern medicine, as he has stated as wrong method, it tries to work on the body/mind in a symptomatic way just like modern medicine. For example: modern medicine = you have acidity, take alkasalzer, then acidity is neutralized. In ayurveda - you have pitta which leads to acidity, take something which balances pitta with kapha such as milk, etc. and then the symptoms of pitta are reduced. ETC.

- But, when one says one is following ayurveda he means one is following the entire theory/practice starting with spiritual side as the base.

Only in the last sense Yoga and Ayurveda are parallel or sisters. Otherwise they are step sisters.

Peace

Leabo - 2007-10-15 1:14 PM

Neel,
If the book was mine I'd be happy to send it to you but I'm borrowing it.

Here is a link from Amazon where you can go in and actually view the first chapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/8120818792/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-6593559-8587244#reader-link

Namaste,
John

priyankeshu
Posted 2007-10-16 11:26 PM (#98018 - in reply to #97837)
Subject: Everything is inter related

Everything in the vedas are inter related thats why some people dont benifit a lot sometimes just practicing Yoga if they do not understand the whole thing.

-Ayurveda focuses on elimating the root cause so it see our body as a constitution and one unit.

- There are three type of Constitution in our body

1.Vata (Air)

2. Pitta (Fire/acids)

3. Kapha (Oils/muscles)

All of them are required by our body to function well. Its just like pressure cooker you need some air and fire and water to cook and function well

If these three are balanced theres no problem but if anyone of them gets into excess problem starts. Ayurveda Focuses on balancing these three factors

----Pitta ----- The acids that are secreted from our liver is pitta its in yellow form in our Horoscopes Mars Rule this factor because mars is a Hot planet and thats what it is related with so if someone has . people with this constitution prominent are aggresive in nature, they get angry fast they are fighters and have strong belief for something also have high ego. Sweet foods pacify .

-----Vata------ Air is ruled by Rahu it is related with nervous system people with this prominent hav less sleep are restless very thin body structure. They are fast in learning but loose what they learn soon. they change their mind frequently . Oily foods pacify this. they have negative thoughts in mind

-----Kapha----- Overweight, excessive sleep less thoughts in mind is a Kapha dominent Personality they are consistent workers and dont get angry fast they are slow but steady movers in life they are good business men they are happy in nature

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)