YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sri T. Krishnamacharya Asana?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Leabo
Posted 2007-10-16 3:23 PM (#97986)
Subject: Sri T. Krishnamacharya Asana?

Does anyone know if Sri T. Krishnamacharya Asana practice was closer to that taught by his student Sr K. Pattabhi Jois or more like his student B.K.S. Iyengar?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-10-16 6:46 PM (#98000 - in reply to #97986)
Subject: RE: Sri T. Krishnamacharya Asa

Expert Yogi

They were very different at different times. That is why (in part) Jois and Iyengar have different approaches.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-16 10:59 PM (#98016 - in reply to #97986)
Subject: RE: Sri T. Krishnamacharya Asana?

If you are talking about Asana practice, I am sure that BKS was a more stronger and skillful student than Pattabhi, I mean as students when they were students, and I am talking of asana as your question pertains to that. Respected T Krishnamacharya was not only an asana teacher and therefore to talk about his asana practice is like talking about handwriting of Albert Eienstein. He was a Sanskrit Scholar, he was a great great Asana practitioner as you can see him performing at a late age, he was a poet, he also was musician, and he was an extraordinary student during his schooling. That does not mean his students are like that.

I personally believe that Guruji BKS took the asanas far beyond anyone else. No, I am sure about it.
Leabo
Posted 2007-10-17 9:53 AM (#98047 - in reply to #97986)

So as far as Asana practice goes would it be safe to say that they both teach in the way they
were taught?

Neel,
I thought I thought I read that BKS Iyengar only spent 2 years with the Krishnamacharya but Sri Jois spent many more years then that (2 years when he was a boy and then reunited with him in his college years)

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is who's style (Ashtanga or Iyvengar) is closer to the original Asana practice taught by Krishnamacharya?
tourist
Posted 2007-10-17 10:12 AM (#98049 - in reply to #98047)
Subject: RE: Sri T. Krishnamacharya Asa

Expert Yogi

From what I have been read and been told by my teachers who have studied extensively with BKS since the 1970's, both teach as they were taught to some degree. But BKS was sent to teach in Pune at a VERY young age. In his own writings he talks about how he really had to learn to understand and teach the asanas on his own. He didn't understand the effects of each asana at all really, until he had experimented with them extensively in his own practice. He also discusses how some of the young men he taught were more physically adept than he was - remember this was a young man who was expected to die at birth and whose physical health was precarious at best until he was sent to learn yoga from Krishnamacharya. So, from his base knowledge gained from his guru, he really had to build from the ground up. From that point of view, he differed a great deal from his teacher's teachings at the time, I would think. OTOH, Krishnamacharya's teaching also changed and he became more involved in therapeutics over the years. So each of them had evolution in their teaching.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-17 10:31 AM (#98053 - in reply to #98047)

Leabo - 2007-10-17 9:53 AM

So as far as Asana practice goes would it be safe to say that they both teach in the way they
were taught?

===> NO. They teach with their own way of teaching. It is exactly same with me, I teach in the way I have developed. But, they incorporate what they were taught and what they absorbed and what they think is important and relevant, hopefully. At least in my case that is true. But, see further please.

Neel,
I thought I thought I read that BKS Iyengar only spent 2 years with the Krishnamacharya but Sri Jois spent many more years then that (2 years when he was a boy and then reunited with him in his college years)

===> Number of years do not make any difference.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is who's style (Ashtanga or Iyvengar) is closer to the original Asana practice taught by Krishnamacharya?

===> Both of them are closer equally. But, I believe that BKS has gone beyond everyone else including the great respected Prof Krishnamachar, as far as ASANA practice is concerned. And, I am sure that Prof Krishnamachar will agree with this. And, why not? Guruji BKS has given his time, effort, energy for a prolonged time dedicating to the ASana practice and development. Others have not done so.

===> To conclude BKS has taken the Asana practice beyond any currently living known yogi including all the known yogis today. And, he has done innovative work. I am sure about it.

===> To satisfy some persons, and to make my English correct: Above is my opinion, but it is strong opinion, meaning conviction.

Posted 2007-10-22 11:19 PM (#98448 - in reply to #97986)

You might want to read "Yoga of the Yogi" by Kausthub Desikachar.

It was surprisingly insightful - not only about Krishnamacharya - but also yoga in general.

http://www.kym.org/bookstore/productinfo.php?cid=4&product_id=14

I don't remember that it included too many details about his asana practice.

Since this tradition teaches that asana practice varies greatly throughout the lifetime of an individual - and also on the health of the individual. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to imagine that Krishnamacharya's asana practice changed as his life changed.

You might also want to read the "Heart of Yoga" by Desikachar. Lots more detail on yoga taught in the tradition of Krishnamacharya.

Vicki
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)