YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eye pillow caused hazy vision
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

andrewset
Posted 2007-10-19 12:08 AM (#98205)
Subject: Eye pillow caused hazy vision

Hello,

I recently ordered a scented lavender eye pillow from a reputable Yogo site. I tried it for 5 minutes, then, upon removing it, immediately noticed my vision was kind of off. It remained that way for a little while, probably going away gradually. If you're a fellow eye pillow user, is there anything you think I might be able to do to avoid this, or do you think the lavender or anything else about it is disagreeing with my eyes?

I e-mailed the company, who said that's the first they've heard of something like that, and suggested I might be allergic to either the flax seed, the lavender, or the silk material. They offered to refund me if I ship it back, but first I'd like to see if I can clear up the issue and still use it, in case it can help me deal with eye pain from my regular computer use.

My other guess is that it put too much pressure on my eyes, as if emptying the seeds a bit might help, but the company didn't even mention that possibility, so I'm not sure about it.

In any case, I'm unsure how I can test which material my eyes may be allergic to, so does anyone know of either of those 3 things being a possible cause for eye allergies?

Thank you,
Andrew
Top of the page Bottom of the page
andrewset
Posted 2007-10-19 3:58 AM (#98212 - in reply to #98205)
Subject: RE: Eye pillow caused hazy vis

Update:
I started using the eye pillow again today, because my eye pain arose again, despite my usual eyecare schedule, and I believe that the hazy vision is only a temporary (5-10 minutes) issue resulting from the pressure the eye pillow puts on my eyes. My eyes are big and round ('frog eyes,' I call them) kind of like Tiger Woods, so I think the eye pillow ends up putting more pressure on my eyes than they do for the average person.

Posted 2007-10-19 4:10 AM (#98213 - in reply to #98205)
Subject: RE: Eye pillow caused hazy vision

Using an eye pillow should be limited to approximately 10 minutes or less. There is some pressure on the lens of the cornea and extended periods of use can lead to blurring in vision. Typically this is temporary. I mention the ten minute time frame as many students expect to arise from Savasana and drive home from class, read, or do something that warrants clear vision.

Obviously a difference in eye pilllow weight might be warranted for some practitioners. If it's disturbing then try a lighter mix or do not use it.

I do not typically use eye bags as a remedy for eye pain or strain. In such a case I'd typically use a head wrap. But I am not aware of any reason not to use it in such a way as long as it's soothing.

If you are not using a kleenex wrapped around the eye bag you can try that as it might shield you from an alergic reaction - though I'd be skeptical. It will keep your eye bag clean over time however.
andrewset
Posted 2007-10-19 4:34 AM (#98214 - in reply to #98205)

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I think I'll try emptying some of the seeds, then. I limit each use to 5 minutes.

What exactly is a head wrap? Is it a cloth you tie tightly around your head (a la Karate Kid)? Or something else?

Thank you
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-19 9:06 AM (#98218 - in reply to #98205)

Usage of eye pillow is a symptomatic suppression giving a relaxing effect, exactly same as what acupressure, acupuncture, massage, etc would give. It should not be used if possible.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-19 10:18 AM (#98229 - in reply to #98218)

Expert Yogi

Andrew - I think there is more going on here than meets the eye Have you got a diagnosis of what is causing your eye pain? Has your medical practitioner said it is ok to use an eye bag? I love eye bags and often use one in pranayama, but I would be cautious if you have had problems. Personally, I would completely empty the bag, wash and dry the fabric a few times to get all the excess dye and other additives out of the fabric, then refill it with clean, new flax and no lavender. I love lavender, but it is chocka block full of aromatic oils that could be irritating your already irritated eyes. If you are really daunted by the idea of sewing the bag back up, you could go to a dry cleaner or somewhere else where they do alterations to clothing. They could do it in a flash.

The head wrap is a soft tensor bandage (Ace bandage) that is wrapped carefully around the head and eyes. It looks and feels a bit bizarre, especially if you get a whole yoga class wrapped up! But it can be very calming and quieting for the brain and eyes.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-10-19 11:58 PM (#98298 - in reply to #98205)

Allergic reaction, lol! It absolutely happens from the pressure. The same thing happens when you press your eyes with the heel of your hands. I say continue with the eye bags, but don't let it sink directly down onto your eyes. Just allow the bag to rest around your eyes, especially on the brow where so much tension builds.
andrewset
Posted 2007-10-20 3:28 AM (#98305 - in reply to #98205)

Thanks for the replies.

OK, so it's the pressure then. I didn't know that because the person I e-mailed from the site I ordered it from didn't even suggest that. Thanks for the info=)

Yes I saw my eye doctor just last Monday. He ran some tests, said nothing's wrong, and my glasses are perfect for the computer monitor. He said that because my glasses allow me to see perfectly fine both close up and far away (which they do), then they ARE the best glasses I can use even for such prolonged monitor use=)

I emptied the bag by quite a bit, and I don't notice the vision issues as much (or got used to them, or they're a lot shorter and less extreme), thankfully.

So are these head wraps difficult to set up, or can I order one from a reputable Yoga site at a good price, and use it for 5 minutes every hour? In case they're better than eye pillows for preventing eye pain.

Thanks for your help, everyone=)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-20 7:29 AM (#98308 - in reply to #98305)

I need to know why are you into these eyepillow and headwrap business? What is that you are trying to achieve?

andrewset - 2007-10-20 3:28 AM

Thanks for the replies.

OK, so it's the pressure then. I didn't know that because the person I e-mailed from the site I ordered it from didn't even suggest that. Thanks for the info=)

Yes I saw my eye doctor just last Monday. He ran some tests, said nothing's wrong, and my glasses are perfect for the computer monitor. He said that because my glasses allow me to see perfectly fine both close up and far away (which they do), then they ARE the best glasses I can use even for such prolonged monitor use=)

I emptied the bag by quite a bit, and I don't notice the vision issues as much (or got used to them, or they're a lot shorter and less extreme), thankfully.

So are these head wraps difficult to set up, or can I order one from a reputable Yoga site at a good price, and use it for 5 minutes every hour? In case they're better than eye pillows for preventing eye pain.

Thanks for your help, everyone=)
andrewset
Posted 2007-10-20 8:51 AM (#98314 - in reply to #98205)

Self-actualization =)

jk, I'm trying to "prevent" sore eyes. I'm a novelist and use the computer 14 hours a day, no lie. I get about 3 or so days of good eyes, then I typically get 1 day of painful eyes all day, and refuse to work on that day. I take 5-minute shut-eye breaks every hour, without fail, in hopes of keeping the pain at bay, so I use the eye pillow during that 5 minutes just in case it aids me. =)
tourist
Posted 2007-10-20 10:05 AM (#98316 - in reply to #98314)

Expert Yogi

Andrew - well, that had better e a darn good book! Do you also practice yoga asana? Taking asana breaks through the day would also probably help, or at least a short set of desk yoga. I know off hand that the head wrap is shown in How to Use Yoga by Mira Mehta. It also is nice introductory book in general. Basically, it is an elastic bandage, like the kind you use for a sprained ankle etc. The bandages that come from India are a very loose weave and a little more forgiving than the Tensor/Ace tyoe we have in N. America, but those can still be used with a bit of practice. You start wrapping at the base of the skull and literally just wrap it around your head, covering your eyes as you go. It should feel supportive but not tight. I have used this numerous times, with particular success during a severe migraine when my eyes would not keep still. It got worse at first - like caged animals, they seemed to try even harder to leap out of my head! - but after a few moments they got quiet.

There are other techniques such as "cupping" the eyes that may be useful, eye exercises etc. But a good asana routine focusing on neck and shoulders might be your best bet in the long run. And I assume you are using exemplary posture at the keyboard?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-20 11:20 AM (#98323 - in reply to #98314)

Thanks for clarity. In this case, I advise you to throw the eye pillows and all those wraps crap. And, accepting your limits, do only the amount work that does not contradict with your health. For more knowledge and instruction, write to me.

andrewset - 2007-10-20 8:51 AM

Self-actualization =)

jk, I'm trying to "prevent" sore eyes. I'm a novelist and use the computer 14 hours a day, no lie. I get about 3 or so days of good eyes, then I typically get 1 day of painful eyes all day, and refuse to work on that day. I take 5-minute shut-eye breaks every hour, without fail, in hopes of keeping the pain at bay, so I use the eye pillow during that 5 minutes just in case it aids me. =)
andrewset
Posted 2007-10-27 10:59 PM (#98752 - in reply to #98205)

well now i only use my yoga eye pillow thing when my eyes hurt, otherwise i just close them for 3 minutes every hour (I use 'Scheduled Tasks' in the Control Panel to remind me to close my eyes every 63 minutes). but, unfortunately, my eyes still hurt pretty often. i think i get one whole day of painful eyes for every 2-3 good days. obviously, that's gonna add up, for how many days i can't write (comfortably, anyway). i think my problem is just that i don't do anything else..even with the eyecare schedule i keep, they get sore, probably because you're just not supposed to use a monitor for 14 hours a day, like i do, regardless of how careful you are

Posted 2007-10-28 1:13 AM (#98755 - in reply to #98314)

If you have not already, then please DO switch to a flat panel display. The CRT's are known to cause more eyestrain. The better displays tend to be easier on the eyes. Here's an article on avoiding eye strain.

Here's another with some additional tips for reducing eye strain with computer monitors.

Additionally the ergonomics of your computer workstation should be reviewed carefully.

andrewset - 2007-10-20 5:51 AM

Self-actualization =)

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-28 9:38 AM (#98758 - in reply to #98752)

I personally feel that you are now on the right track. Find some other ways such as: someone else helping you to type, voice to type, etc.

andrewset - 2007-10-27 10:59 PM

well now i only use my yoga eye pillow thing when my eyes hurt, otherwise i just close them for 3 minutes every hour (I use 'Scheduled Tasks' in the Control Panel to remind me to close my eyes every 63 minutes). but, unfortunately, my eyes still hurt pretty often. i think i get one whole day of painful eyes for every 2-3 good days. obviously, that's gonna add up, for how many days i can't write (comfortably, anyway). i think my problem is just that i don't do anything else..even with the eyecare schedule i keep, they get sore, probably because you're just not supposed to use a monitor for 14 hours a day, like i do, regardless of how careful you are
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)