YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions for the pros!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Misty
Posted 2007-10-23 4:54 PM (#98507)
Subject: Questions for the pros!

Hi Everyone!

In the new year Im going to school become a instructor so in the coming months Im going to try and take as many classes as I can to brush up. My question... everytime I take a yoga class my wrists become very painful and my hands swell up and burn...literally. My hands become red, hot, itchy and burn. Its very distracting. Does anyone know why this would happen or what I can do to make it stop?

Thanks very much!

M.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-10-23 5:33 PM (#98508 - in reply to #98507)
Subject: RE: Questions for the pros!

Have you seen a doctor? A medical diagnosis may be a good place to start. You can then use that information as part of whatever course of action you decide on from there. It could be a condition that is best treated by standard medical treatment or maybe another type of treatment. Without knowing what is going on, it is hard to decide what to do about it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-23 5:47 PM (#98509 - in reply to #98507)

See below ===>

Misty - 2007-10-23 4:54 PM

Hi Everyone!

In the new year Im going to school become a instructor
===> Wonderful.

so in the coming months Im going to try and take as many classes as I can to brush up.
===> Bad Idea.

My question... everytime I take a yoga class my wrists become very painful and my hands swell up and burn...literally. My hands become red, hot, itchy and burn. Its very distracting.
===> This question is not relevant to your training. If the training does not accommodated your condition, that training must NOT be taken. For example, any training where you shall be actually doing Ashtanga Yoga Exercise style exercises must not be taken.

Does anyone know why this would happen or what I can do to make it stop?
===> Why = This is due to weakness in wrist. What can be done = you should not use the wrist for yoga exercises where weight bearing occurs on the wrist.

Thanks very much!

M.

Posted 2007-10-23 6:00 PM (#98511 - in reply to #98507)

Hi Misty.

Since I don't know you I'd really like more information before prying in to your issue with the wrists. For example, what sort of practice do you have or did you have? What is your fitness background and how old are you? What is your diet and lifestyle like? These sorts of things allow us to "know" you a bit before randomly advising you. Since this is the internet and you are not coming to a class with me/neel/jimg/assorted others then this is really all we have to go on.

If you're responsive and willing on this front then more information from the collective will be forthcoming I am certain.

Please also include the poses or sequences of your practice that are irritating the wrists and whaat things make it better or worse.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-24 10:21 AM (#98539 - in reply to #98511)

Expert Yogi

Misty - are you going to be training to teach yoga? What have your teachers said about your problem? If they cannot help you, I strongly suggest that you find new teachers and certainly do not train to teach with them.
jeansyoga
Posted 2007-10-24 11:49 AM (#98541 - in reply to #98507)

oweee!

Is it possible you have an allergy to something on the mat? Are you using your own mat? When was the last time it was cleaned? If it was recent, it may even be a cleaning chemical that you're allergic to - even if you use the same cleaner on other surfaces, it could be reacting with the mat rubber to create a reaction in your hands. Also some are allergic to the rubber or other ingredient in the mat itself. Have you tried practicing with an Ashtanga-style cloth (or even a towel) over the sticky mat, and do you get the same reaction in your hands?

I'd rule out possible allergies, try the poses on different surfaces and see what happens. If you have the same hand trouble, see a doctor.
majesticyoga
Posted 2007-10-26 10:44 PM (#98723 - in reply to #98507)

I also think you should get checked out by a conventional doctor, particularly if you are thinking about becoming a teacher. One trick I was taught a long time ago for when my wrists were feeling weak; he called it "fists for wrists." Of course, you wouldn't want to do that for poses like Adho Mukha Svanasana, but I find it particularly useful for cat/cow series (Marjaryasana/Bitilasana) and plank. However, please do see a doctor as others have suggested. Keep us posted!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)