YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chest pain after pranayama
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

strazin
Posted 2007-10-23 10:01 PM (#98515)
Subject: chest pain after pranayama

For about 2 months now, I have been practicing 20 minutes of pranayama exercises every day before I practice an hour of asanas. Lately, I have been feeling a sharp pain on the left side of my chest after I finish pranayama.

Specifically, I do three rounds of Kapalabathi and hold a deep inhale for about 40 seconds after each round. Then I do ten repitions of alternate nostril breathing. During the alternate nostril exercise, I exhale for a count of 8 seconds, inhale for 4 seconds, then hold for 16 seconds.

I don't feel any signficant stress during any of these exercises. And I seem to be improving over time. For example, when I first started, my exhale was very shaky and rough. Now it is much smoother and softer. Also, my sitting posture is much better -- my knees don't cramp up so much anymore, and my spine feels straight and strong.

I believe I am doing the exercises exactly how they showed me at the Ashram, so I don't understand why would I feel chest pain afterwards. I never felt it before, but for some reason, during the last 2 weeks, there is pain.

Particularly if I do a forward bend after the pranayama and simultaneously exhale, the pain is sharp. The pain goes away after about a half hour. But overall, it is not so bad, just annoying. Could I be doing something wrong?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-23 10:30 PM (#98516 - in reply to #98515)
Subject: RE: chest pain after pranayama

Hey starzin:

1. I do not know whether you are listening. But, anyway.

2. Stop all pranayama you are doing.

3. Just do the asana practice for now, within your limits, and keeping one experienced guide for you. Not just one time learning at Ashrama. But, a continuous teacher for contact and questions.

4. I think you are a very positive person and shall come out well.

Best Luck

strazin - 2007-10-23 10:01 PM

For about 2 months now, I have been practicing 20 minutes of pranayama exercises every day before I practice an hour of asanas. Lately, I have been feeling a sharp pain on the left side of my chest after I finish pranayama.

Specifically, I do three rounds of Kapalabathi and hold a deep inhale for about 40 seconds after each round. Then I do ten repitions of alternate nostril breathing. During the alternate nostril exercise, I exhale for a count of 8 seconds, inhale for 4 seconds, then hold for 16 seconds.

I don't feel any signficant stress during any of these exercises. And I seem to be improving over time. For example, when I first started, my exhale was very shaky and rough. Now it is much smoother and softer. Also, my sitting posture is much better -- my knees don't cramp up so much anymore, and my spine feels straight and strong.

I believe I am doing the exercises exactly how they showed me at the Ashram, so I don't understand why would I feel chest pain afterwards. I never felt it before, but for some reason, during the last 2 weeks, there is pain.

Particularly if I do a forward bend after the pranayama and simultaneously exhale, the pain is sharp. The pain goes away after about a half hour. But overall, it is not so bad, just annoying. Could I be doing something wrong?

Posted 2007-10-24 2:06 AM (#98521 - in reply to #98515)

I suspect my position on pranayama is fairly well documented on this forum. So I'll not belabor those points.

With that said, I can only offer an anatomical point of view on this and that is to say that it is possible to have strained the intercostal muscles that support the rib cage as they are used in the respiratory process quite actively.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-10-24 2:07 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-10-24 8:37 AM (#98531 - in reply to #98515)

I would stop right away too.

I've had bad experiences retaining the breath. I prefer alternative nostril without retension or tongue curls without retension.

tourist
Posted 2007-10-24 10:01 AM (#98535 - in reply to #98531)

Expert Yogi

I'll add my suggestion to stop for awhile. It sounds like at some point you have strained - perhaps not in pranayama practice, but that is where it is showing up. If you want to continue with some sort of practice during the time you are healing, I suggest breath awareness or "following the breath" only and preferably reclining, supported on a pranayama pillow or other support. That way you keep your regular routine.
einat
Posted 2007-10-24 1:43 PM (#98555 - in reply to #98515)

While it's probably nothing,I'd still say this.Sharp pain in the chest to the left side? sounds like something I'd run by my doctor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)