YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

suggestions for sequences
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Krislouise2002
Posted 2007-10-25 9:52 AM (#98606)
Subject: suggestions for sequences

Hello teachers out there...wondering if you could suggest ideas. I'm a relatively new teacher (been teaching for about a year and a half). Two months ago, I started teaching at a wellness center. I only teach these two classes a week now (my "fun" part time job that financially subsidizes my yoga studies outside of my boring, full time job which pays my bills!!!).

One of these classes tends to attract a group that is a little older, some are a little larger and out of shape. The center only has blocks and straps for props. They also have these spongy weird foamy mats that are not appropriate for yoga at all. I've mentioned several times for people to invest in a real mat, but it falls on deaf ears. They keep using those darn foamy things which have no traction and cause people to fall off balance. Also, when in seated postures, they really do need support under the hips for proper pelvic alignment, and we really need indian blankets. I've spoke to the management about this issue with props and needing new ones, but apparently there is no more $ for this type of things.

So, with all of that said, could anyone refer me to resources of good poses and sequences for a little bit out of shape, a little creaky and tight, type people- and poses that don't require that many props for these types (I know, I'm not giving you much to work with, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you've got!!!)

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-25 10:00 AM (#98607 - in reply to #98606)
Subject: RE: suggestions for sequences

Krislouise2002 - 2007-10-25 9:52 AM

Hello teachers out there...wondering if you could suggest ideas. I'm a relatively new teacher (been teaching for about a year and a half). Two months ago, I started teaching at a wellness center. I only teach these two classes a week now (my "fun" part time job that financially subsidizes my yoga studies outside of my boring, full time job which pays my bills!!!).

===> This is fantastic.

One of these classes tends to attract a group that is a little older, some are a little larger and out of shape. The center only has blocks and straps for props. They also have these spongy weird foamy mats that are not appropriate for yoga at all. I've mentioned several times for people to invest in a real mat, but it falls on deaf ears. They keep using those darn foamy things which have no traction and cause people to fall off balance. Also, when in seated postures, they really do need support under the hips for proper pelvic alignment, and we really need indian blankets. I've spoke to the management about this issue with props and needing new ones, but apparently there is no more $ for this type of things.

===> From what you wrote, I think you are going wrong. Stop telling the studio owners what they should do unless they ask for your advice. Do not push for the props at all. Otherwise, you can loose the job, and the older people loose you. The same older people will not (are NOT) loyal to you to the extent they shall follow you elsewhere. They will be more loyal to the studio, where they can afford fees.

So, with all of that said, could anyone refer me to resources of good poses and sequences for a little bit out of shape, a little creaky and tight, type people- and poses that don't require that many props for these types (I know, I'm not giving you much to work with, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you've got!!!)

===> This question does not have a standard answer. Your Teacher Training should have covered it. Or, you should consider attending such a training.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Posted 2007-10-25 11:14 AM (#98617 - in reply to #98606)

this really is something that should be covered in training.

i recommend sticking to seated and reclining postures, since the mats are a problem, and using the blocks to support the hips, rather than blankets, and encourage people to bring bath towels with them (you can use these instead of blankets as well).

good luck!

Posted 2007-10-25 12:15 PM (#98621 - in reply to #98606)

It is not the sequence, per se, that matters here so much as it is the modification(s). And as the OP states, there isn't much to go on with this venue and their props.

Some styles of yoga do not fit some styles of students. As I've mentioned here in other threads - some yoga demands the practitioner fit the practice (as it is un or less modifiable), Other yoga makes the practice fit the student. This is one of those things to consider when evaluating the style one trains in and the philosophy one ascribes to. Since I have no idea what style we are referencing it would be tough to give a pointed answer (as Neel mentions).

There are very few postures that overweight and "out of shape" peple can't do. However if we expect the sedentary to jump around for 75 minutes AND do so with muscles unused and flexors unopened then we are only fooling one person.

Since this space has straps, blocks, and I assume, walls...
With blocks and straps available there is a fully accessible complement of standing poses including Vira I, Vira II, Trikonasana, Parsvakonasana, Prasarita Padotanasana, Tadasana, Uttanasana and Vrksasana. With the straps there is the beginner's hip opening series (supine). With the walls you could work Parivrrta Trikonasana, ardha uttanasana, and ardha chandrasana.

When I teach I often teach in themes and I do so based on my students, their level, and their energetics in class (which is NOT a reference to how much they can do or how much fuel they have in their bodies).

Since sequencing has value to me, my creativity around it has to be incredibly mindful or my class becomes a hodge-podge of yoga asana here and there with no thread, harmony, or continuity to what we are doing other than that we are doing.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-10-25 12:39 PM
Krislouise2002
Posted 2007-10-25 12:16 PM (#98622 - in reply to #98606)

yes, thank you for your feedback. these things have been covered in my tt- i was just curious to see if anyone had any good sequences out there that i can try...just looking for new creative ideas if you have any.

Posted 2007-10-25 12:37 PM (#98624 - in reply to #98606)

well, to be honest, it's hard for me to create a sequence for people whom i do not see or know. i can write otu sequences that i do in a similar situation.

i work at a Y where the mats are those foamy things (though i convinced everyone to buy their own), where they only offer blocks (i convince people to buy their own), and i ask people to bring a strap (old tie works), a towel or two, and a blanket if they want. people do bring a number of things.

beyond this, when i have few or no props and mats that don't function, and i have elders and other individuals who are out of shape, i stick to floor work and do what i can from there. it's just easier.

i'll do work on hands and knees, seated, reclining.

here's a common sequence:

begin seated and breathing deeply.

from comfortable seated position, reach overhead, interlace fingers press palms up. breathe here.

do a few leaning side to side moves with the breath (three to five breaths each side, and repeat).

bring hands to knees and do a few seated "cat stretch" type movements

do a small spinal twist repeating both sides.

neck movements: look left, look right--repeat 3-5 breaths each side. look up, look down--repeat.

come to hands and knees, do cat stretch and alternate arm/leg reach--repeat both sides.

bring right foot forward between the hands, slide left leg back, lift chest or sweep arms up for lunge. do left side and repeat.

child's pose (consider downward dog, but not necessary)

do shoulder stretch from child's pose taking the right arm underneath the left arm, reaching acvross the chest, right palm up. do left side and repeat.

modified camel's pose--hands interlaced behind the back--return to child's pose and repeat

seated position (sitting on heels) eagle arms (or bear hug) repeat twice

unravel legs and move toward cow face pose (modified) repeat twice

various seated forward bends with strap

various seated hip stretches (modified)

boat pose, lowering to the floor (transition movement)

abdominal movements from reclining position

hip and leg stretches from the reclining position

back bends from the from reclining position

spinal twists

savasana

seated position

pranayama breathing

meditation

End of class.
Krislouise2002
Posted 2007-10-25 3:18 PM (#98630 - in reply to #98624)

Thank you for taking the time to send this...I do like the order and will try it. I have something sort of like it, but the order is different. I just like to try things that others have tried who have had good outcomes, if you know what i mean. Namaste!
Krislouise2002
Posted 2007-10-25 3:20 PM (#98631 - in reply to #98624)

Thank you for taking the time to send this...I do like the order and will try it. I have done a class sort of like it, but the order is different. I just like to try things that others have tried who have had good outcomes, if you know what i mean. Namaste!

Posted 2007-10-26 10:47 PM (#98724 - in reply to #98624)

zoebird,
Nice out-of-shape beginner sequence.
Namaste,
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread