YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anxiety disorder
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

pianissimo
Posted 2007-10-25 9:32 PM (#98654)
Subject: anxiety disorder

I have an anxiety disorder. I am currently on medication and I am seeing a therapist. I still get very anxtious and stressed a lot and I know that it's unhealthy for me. I'm a bit of a health nut as it is so this is really bothering me. I was wondering if yoga can relieve this kind of anxiety.

Thank you and God bless,
pianissimo
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-25 11:34 PM (#98664 - in reply to #98654)
Subject: RE: anxiety disorder

Dear P: You shall need to take yoga instruction from an experienced instructor. There is no question that Yoga shall help you. However, your medication, etc. all these need to be taken into account by the instructor. It is not possible to advise on the board. Try to meet me.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-26 10:12 AM (#98681 - in reply to #98654)

Expert Yogi

The short answer is "yes, it can" but a lot depends on you and the practice you do and the skill of your teacher. There are several good threads on anxiety here, though I don't seem to be able to access the search feature right now. Do a search and see what you come up with. Then tell us all about the classes you are taking and we can advise a bit better.
sark
Posted 2007-10-26 1:30 PM (#98699 - in reply to #98654)

It certainly can and it helped me immensly. Just keep in mind that it will not do it overnight, will take a couple of months. Yoga makes you relax and it is impossible to be anxious in a relaxed state.

Edited by sark 2007-10-26 1:31 PM
majesticyoga
Posted 2007-10-26 10:56 PM (#98725 - in reply to #98654)

I definitely second what kulkarnn posted. In addition to that, I can tell you that my Husband has anxiety and is getting treated for it. He has supplemented his treatment with yoga, under the supervision of his doctor. He says it has helped him. There was some improvement seen immediately, and more over time. However, over time it's hard to tease out where the yoga has helped and where the medication has helped.

When you find a good instructor, ask him/her about Uttana Shishosana. This is my personal favorite for when I'm feeling anxious.
samoahmad
Posted 2010-07-11 2:44 PM (#124055 - in reply to #98654)
Subject: Re: anxiety disorder

I to suffer from anxiety just started yoga, I find it get my mind of my anxiety which is great...you should also look up the charles linden method it has helped me a great deal
jhon01
Posted 2010-07-16 5:23 PM (#124160 - in reply to #98654)

Hi
I have a anxiety disorder, and I've tried to tell my parents, they told me it's just part of being someone my age, then they laughed at me. What can I do, to let them know that I'm serious, and that I want to be tested?
Thanks!
mbonner2007
Posted 2010-07-28 11:25 AM (#124328 - in reply to #98654)

I think it depends on the degree of your anxiety.  Yoga is great for helping to balance a psyche that is a bit out of wack, but if your anxiety is dominating your life, yoga's help would be like putting a band-aid on a missing limb.  It's a tool, not necessarily the cure itself.

----------------

M. Bonner
Body Mind Spirit
Brain Wave Vibration

JoanneT
Posted 2010-08-03 2:12 AM (#124435 - in reply to #98654)

I have an anxiety problem too, but I think its just a low level. I want to try yoga so that somehow I can share here how will it treat my problem.

prospect solutions | prospectsolution.com | prospect solution

Edited by JoanneT 2010-08-03 2:14 AM
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-08-04 8:29 PM (#124489 - in reply to #124435)

Extreme Veteran

Hello JoanneT, please try and of course with qualified yoga teacher. We are looking forward to hear your experience. I wish you good luck..

Posted 2010-08-05 12:25 AM (#124491 - in reply to #124435)

JoanneT - 2010-08-02 11:12 PM

I have an anxiety problem too, but I think its just a low level. I want to try yoga so that somehow I can share here how will it treat my problem.

As Rex mentioned, a severe anxiety problem needs professional care, but low level anxiety could be greatly reduced with a mindful yoga practice. Yoga teaches one to be more aware of their body, their mind and their emotions, which can lead to better balance in life and less stress and anxiety.

As Yogacharya Tonmoy said, a qualified yoga teacher is important.

Your personal experiences will be instructional for all of us and could be extremely important for some. Thanks for your generous offer.

Edited by jimg 2010-08-05 12:29 AM
rock.bogard8
Posted 2010-12-17 5:57 PM (#126533 - in reply to #98654)

New User

Anxiety is more general terms covering various forms of abnormal and pathological fear and anxiety, which is not under the direction of psychiatry. The term anxiety covers four aspects of experience that a person can have. These four aspects are, anxiety, physical stress, physical symptoms of anxiety and dissociative. Anxiety is divided into generalized anxiety disorder, phobia and panic, each with its own characteristics and symptoms, and require different treatment.
channingahujia
Posted 2011-03-25 6:52 AM (#207968 - in reply to #98654)

Anxiety is a normal acknowledgment to stress.The capital evidence is the about connected attendance of anguish or tension, even if there is little or no cause. Worries assume to float from one botheration to another, such as family or relationship problems, plan issues, money, health, and added problems.
LavernMiler
Posted 2011-06-20 3:32 AM (#208735 - in reply to #98654)

Anxiety is a normal human emotion that anybody adventures at times. Many humans feel anxious, or nervous, if faced with a botheration at work, afore taking a test, or authoritative an important decision.
jimcarter
Posted 2011-06-28 1:24 PM (#208807 - in reply to #98654)

Anxiety disorders, however, are different. They can cause such distress that it interferes with a person's ability to lead a normal life.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-11-03 10:57 PM (#211750 - in reply to #98654)

Veteran

Yoga is very beneficial for anxiety.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)