YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

booty
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

goodie
Posted 2007-10-27 11:54 AM (#98743)
Subject: booty

hello again follow yoga friends. I am looking to firm my booty and lift. What poses tighten and lift the butt?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-10-28 4:08 PM (#98768 - in reply to #98743)
Subject: RE: booty

all standing poses.

however, it might be argued that you don't really want to make the butt 'tight' per se.
rather, a relaxed butt, with the muscles of the legs and hips doing most of the heavy lifting.
i would recommend finding a good teacher, and rather than focusing on just your butt, think about developing even tone in musculature throughout your legs and pelvic girdle.

butt of appropriate firmness will develop with appropriate practice.

Posted 2007-10-29 1:39 PM (#98805 - in reply to #98743)

Yargh, me maties!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-10-29 2:50 PM (#98809 - in reply to #98743)

Probably locust posture would help.
ollie
Posted 2007-10-29 10:23 PM (#98829 - in reply to #98743)

Well, down dog certainly lifts the butt.

So does the entrance to bhujapidasana. (the leg squeeze part firms it too)

Lunges work it, as does "crescent moon" (not the Bikram version) and the standing warrior series.

Posted 2007-10-30 12:38 AM (#98836 - in reply to #98809)

TampaEric - 2007-10-29 1:50 PM

Probably locust posture would help.

no clenching!
(the butt cheeks that is)

when i've been teaching this to my students, i have them grab their butts intermittently to make sure that the lift is coming from the actions of their legs, rather than gripping in the lower back and buttocks
its really awkward to tell a room full of people to grab their buttocks. only the first time, though. after i say it once, its all good. i have yet to give an instruction involving the anal mouth, although i have wanted to...
Nick
Posted 2007-10-30 3:20 AM (#98842 - in reply to #98836)

Thanks Dhanurasana,
"Anal mouth-" that image is going to haunt me to my grave-I'll get you for that

Nick
p.s. and hang on-the gluteals are hip muscles.
When I began yoga, itoo was taught to relax the buttocks, but have found that this instruction is probably mistaken-the people who introduced it assumed too much with too little knowledge, in my opinion.

Edited by Nick 2007-10-30 3:23 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-10-30 3:16 PM (#98866 - in reply to #98836)

I always do for backbends. I do for updog, bow, camel.

Posted 2007-10-30 4:40 PM (#98870 - in reply to #98842)

Nick - 2007-10-30 2:20 AM

Thanks Dhanurasana,
"Anal mouth-" that image is going to haunt me to my grave-I'll get you for that

Nick
p.s. and hang on-the gluteals are hip muscles.
When I began yoga, itoo was taught to relax the buttocks, but have found that this instruction is probably mistaken-the people who introduced it assumed too much with too little knowledge, in my opinion.

any time, good sir.
could you perhaps comment on the butt action to cultivate in the backwards extensions?
i bet you could...
Nick
Posted 2007-10-30 7:04 PM (#98878 - in reply to #98870)

Hi Dhanurasana,
I'll be seeking therapy for that vision you gave me
With the glutes, they are the largest muscle in the human body-it makes no sense to restrain their function when one is trying to extend the hips-this is one of their main functions-turn them off, and the hamstrings and low back are likely to take over-so the gluteal muscles are then trained to 'turn off' and the other two groups of muscles are trained to become over-active-result? Tight hams and a tight low back. That's it in a nutshell, from a therapeutic perspective.

Nick

Posted 2007-10-30 11:02 PM (#98885 - in reply to #98878)

so then the proper action would be somewhere between clenching and totally relaxed...
i suppose it is something a young man has to discern for his self.

seriously though, a lot of senior teachers throw that phrase around like its going out of style.
Nick
Posted 2007-10-31 2:22 AM (#98887 - in reply to #98885)

Hi Dhanurasana,
Yes, that instruction's beeen used for longer than I've been practicing yoga-it's one of the things that alerted me to the possibility that perhaps the powers that be in the yoga world don't have the knowledge to back that power up-only a complete fool would seek to inhibit this group of muscles-the gluteal muscle is perhaps the most important muscle in the human body-yhe gluteals of the human are bigger than that of a horse, whose rump is actually mostly hamstrings. Because of this we were first able to stand upright, then be able to use our hands, then able to start talking-animals can't do this because they have to time their breath to coincide with the action of the front legs. So it's all down to your bum Not your brain

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-10-31 10:11 AM (#98899 - in reply to #98887)

Expert Yogi

The glutes absolutely do not "relax" in backbends, though I think that impression may still be around. They do not, however "clench" or as Geeta Iyengar says "criss cross." The combined actions of lengthening the lumbar (sitting bones to heels) and keeping the thighs moving front to back should make the glutes firm but not squeezed. The most recent instruction I have heard was to "clamp" the lower buttocks to the top of the back thigh, an action which, yes indeed, can be felt best while grabbing one's own butt
Nick
Posted 2007-10-31 11:58 AM (#98905 - in reply to #98899)

tourist - 2007-10-31 3:11 PM

The glutes absolutely do not "relax" in backbends, though I think that impression may still be around. They do not, however "clench" or as Geeta Iyengar says "criss cross." The combined actions of lengthening the lumbar (sitting bones to heels) and keeping the thighs moving front to back should make the glutes firm but not squeezed. The most recent instruction I have heard was to "clamp" the lower buttocks to the top of the back thigh, an action which, yes indeed, can be felt best while grabbing one's own butt

Any excuse

Nick

Posted 2007-10-31 11:08 PM (#98924 - in reply to #98743)

Since the glutes are made up of three muscles--the maximus, minimus, and medius. because the medius is active (or contracted), while the maximus is relaxed/released, i would say that it's accurate to describe them in toto as both relaxed and contracted. LOL!

Most people think of the glutes only in terms of the maximus. This is why i often say "relax the glutes" because most people think only of the maximus in this situation, and don't have the sensitivity to the other two muscles in the group. This is to encourage people to not clinch the butt, which is the most common misalignment in back bends, standing, and a variety of other movements.

eventually, though, they become aware of the other two muscles, and i try to develop that sensitivity from the get-go if possible via the description of feeling, and then the description of the muscle group (later in the instruction process).

i'm trying to remember what's going on with the minimus. it's late, i'm tired.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-11-02 11:52 AM (#98983 - in reply to #98743)

Relaxing the glutes is only good advice for people whose legs outer rotate. If the legs inner rotate then using the glutes is VERY important. I've always noticed that many women who are very experienced yogis (not the ashtangis) have firm bodies, but saggy, droopy and lifeless booties. They appear to be in shape, but then have to wear size 10 pants to fit the rearend. I'm sure this is partly caused by being trained to not use the glutes. For those with hypermobile low backs using the glutes is also terribly important in backbends.

My favorite asanas for the rearend: east pose (lift the hips high), reverse table (in half lotus especially)
goodie
Posted 2007-11-04 4:39 PM (#99057 - in reply to #98743)

thanks everyone for the information and comments. I think I am still just as confused as I was when I asked the question. I guess I'll have to practicce the asana's.
fechter03
Posted 2007-11-04 6:48 PM (#99060 - in reply to #99057)

Extreme Veteran

goodie - 2007-11-04 4:39 PM

thanks everyone for the information and comments. I think I am still just as confused as I was when I asked the question. I guess I'll have to practicce the asana's.

ok, poses that get my butt sore are warrior III, half moon, revolved half moon, standing splits, chair pose (to a lesser extent). what works even better is if you make a vinyasa sequence out of it. what i do is: tree pose -> warrior III->half moon->standing splits. repeat on the other side with a sun series A in between...hopefully no more confusion, (and i do have a cute butt.. even though i'm skinny).

Posted 2007-11-04 11:51 PM (#99061 - in reply to #99060)

call me old fashioned but...
i don't know about that tree pose to warrior three transition.

i don't know that i could do a decent warrior three out of tree pose.
i don't know that i could do a decent warrior three out of anything for that matter.
i didn't have a butt before starting iyengar yoga.
it was just a gnarled mass of muscle and connective tissue that i sat on.
happy to say that now, i have a nice soft cushion to sit on.
fechter03
Posted 2007-11-05 1:06 AM (#99065 - in reply to #99061)

Extreme Veteran

dhanurasana - 2007-11-04 11:51 PM

call me old fashioned but...
i don't know about that tree pose to warrior three transition.

i don't know that i could do a decent warrior three out of tree pose.
i don't know that i could do a decent warrior three out of anything for that matter.
i didn't have a butt before starting iyengar yoga.
it was just a gnarled mass of muscle and connective tissue that i sat on.
happy to say that now, i have a nice soft cushion to sit on.

??????

have you ever tried any kind of vinyasa (yes the "generic" power yoga types)?? just free the bent leg from the groin and tilt your body forward until you get parallel to the ground. the arms were already in virabydrasana III position (arms overhead/urdhva hastasana, not prayer) from vrksasana. the hips were also already just about square so when you tilt forward there would only be a minor adjustment, if any, to get them level.

i was just giving an example. i usually go to an "iyengar" class but make up "vinyasas" on the fly when i'm practicing at home.

Posted 2007-11-05 1:21 AM (#99066 - in reply to #99065)

nope. never.
of course i know how you get into it, i'm just saying i don't think vira III from tree pose would give me the same strength of action in my legs as going into it from vira I.
i'd be interested to observe someone going into vira III both ways.

when i vinyasa, i can rarely place my feet with the same precision as when i do a pose statically.
if my feet aren't set properly, the whole pose is shot.
i vinyasa between points of awareness
(how pretentious is that?)

Posted 2007-11-05 11:02 AM (#99077 - in reply to #98743)

it's simple enough--as i do it and teach it (warrior III from tree).

i start in tree--arms overhead palms facing in.

i take the foot off the inner thigh and bring the knee forward a bit.

then, i extend the foot (taht was balanced on the thigh) and send it back coming into warrior III.

voila! done.

Posted 2007-11-05 2:01 PM (#99089 - in reply to #99077)

it seems so simple now...
i don't know how i couldn't have seen it before.

Posted 2007-11-09 3:15 PM (#99288 - in reply to #98743)

hahahah
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)