YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Defined: Good teacher.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sheala
Posted 2007-10-27 9:21 PM (#98749)
Subject: Defined: Good teacher.

Dear All:

I am Sheala writing from Japan, but trained in a diversity of countries; which include India, England and US. Recently I become a writer for yoga website and also assisting the translation of a book written by my great teacher.

Today, I wish to bring up some enquiry about the definition of "a good teacher".
I wonder what sort of definition vaguely or precisely people think about. (By saying yoga teachers, those who helps others to learn yoga anasa variations in studio: Just to bring everyone on the same page here ).
It doesn't really matter what s/he professes in subjects, but would be good to focus on the definition for Yoga Teacher, since this is the name of the forum.

I have had myself witness that many teachers in Yoga do lack some discipline that is required of them; on the other I do know some teachers I admire who present their good grasp of mental maturity, spiritual x material integration, and honesty to surrender to their undisciplined aspect of their life. They are often relatively protected to maintain a very traditional, frugal lifestyle - which is often characterized by forest like communities.

While I understand no one, including myself is perfect. As yoga intends also, liberation from human problems is a constant work that needs to be worked hard day by day.

Those who become teachers spreading how to practice yoga or other spiritual scheme of things + who make living out of that activity are the very people who kind of lost the right livelihood.

Ok, you profess your purity about your motivation as a teacher or being a student of yoga. But, some times, some of the teacher's conduct makes me wonder and think, well her/his livelihood is now coming to the dependency on teaching yoga. And that seems really repressing and felt sorry for the polluted motivation.

I also do see some teaching staff who pushes you to the zone of discomfort. I always advise whenever I can to listen to one's own body, and breath flow. And basically ignore the external distraction. If one know what s/he's doing then teacher shall respect. This lack of respect is also seen a lot among teachers or whose "ego" override what the students actually need in time and space. I think that is dangerous as well.

Teachers' quality is characterized by humble, kind, desciplined, and humourous attitude. No ego self shall get involved in the teaching position - S/he is then not appropriate for that very position indeed.

I believe when you started to make things that have been sacred for years turn into the source of your main income or livelihood, without strict code of conduct and its implementation, the teaching yoga or spiritual scheme of things may not lead you to the final goal of yoga any faster; Liberation.

So, as a point in case, I do not live by teaching yoga or other spiritual schemes. Rather donate the time and money; not a lot of them, but the universe would know my intention. And I live on by other means that is vibrant as well as challenge my intellect; which expands my world and experiences.

I am writing about this topic later in weeks.
If you have any say, please bring them up

Sincerely,

Sheala
~ Japan.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-27 11:03 PM (#98753 - in reply to #98749)
Subject: RE: Defined: Good teacher.

Interesting article Sheala. I wish you best luck.

Posted 2007-10-28 1:31 AM (#98756 - in reply to #98749)

Hello Sheala,

You may be dismayed to learn there are as manny definitions of "good teacher" as there are yoga disciplines. What I, as a certified Purna Yoga teacher, may deem to be the qualities of a "good teacher" may not be identical to others of a different practice.

And, after all that is rolled out, there would still be the issue of levels of the definition. For example there may be three primary qualifications; one, that the teacher does no harm, two that the teacher provides that which may move the student(s) toward their svadharma or purpose for being here (on the planet), and three that the teacher live what they teach (or have a "yoga life").

From these three things there are more pragmatic elements to a "good teacher". The training, learning, experience, skill, knowledge and wisdom of the subject, the ability to communicate, articulate, master the elements of elocution. The pitch the pace, the volume of the voice. The ability to look and see, to hear and listen. The ability to say something in more than one way. The ability to reach through a student's belief system and speak to their nervous system. The ability to split the mind so as to focus on an entire room, and on one student.

Then there are some more ethereal elements - compassion, kindness, et al. Plus the teacher must not agrandize the Ego of the students AND must be willing to examine their own Ego, transform it, and use it properly for the sake of evolution.

I personally do not have any issue with teachers earning money. In fact far too many teachers are offering so much to humanity and getting very little (money) in return. Neither scenario is "bad" and neither is "good". The teacher who is sharing authentically and not making money, that may very well be that teacher's Svadharma. It should be looked at. So to should it be examined to make sure it is not neurosis on the part of the teacher thus blocking the abundance that is efforting to come their way. Likewise a teacher who is receiving abundance (in the form of money for this talk) that is fine, as long as it is in alignment with that person's Svadharma and the monies are enough only for that purpose and no more.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-10-28 1:35 AM
Barney
Posted 2007-10-28 8:15 AM (#98757 - in reply to #98749)

Yoga Teacher is one who has learned asanas or postures and other aspects whichever is possible by him/her. He/She who has learned to handle him/herself in terms of doing different postures which is condusive to their health. Only when he is capable of handling his/her health problems and overcome (to what degree and this again according to my belief depends on other factors too....) as such , he/she becomes competent to teach others. More knowledge comes through reading books and experience but basic tenets are important to know and adhere. There are teachers/institutions who teaches yoga and earn livelihood and some for goodwill of society. There is nothing wrong as long as moderation is observed.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-28 9:52 AM (#98760 - in reply to #98757)

Thank you for this succint and fantastic statement.

Barney - 2007-10-28 8:15 AM

Yoga Teacher is one who has learned asanas or postures and other aspects whichever is possible by him/her. He/She who has learned to handle him/herself in terms of doing different postures which is condusive to their health. Only when he is capable of handling his/her health problems and overcome (to what degree and this again according to my belief depends on other factors too....) as such , he/she becomes competent to teach others. More knowledge comes through reading books and experience but basic tenets are important to know and adhere. There are teachers/institutions who teaches yoga and earn livelihood and some for goodwill of society. There is nothing wrong as long as moderation is observed.

tourist
Posted 2007-10-28 11:04 AM (#98763 - in reply to #98760)

Expert Yogi

I also do see some teaching staff who pushes you to the zone of discomfort.

Let me just take issue with this one statement. Discomfort creates change and change equals growth. While teachers of any sort must not harm their students in ANY realm (physical, emotional, mental, intellectual, spiritual....) they must plant that seed of discomfort to create an impetus for change. Watch children (as I do for my "real income." Does this make me a more authentic and dedicated yoga teacher than others?) and see how they move from discomfort ("I want that toy!" "I am unhappy crawling, I want to walk!") to comfort and perhaps in the next second, discomfort again ("I want another toy!" "I want to run!") and create opportunities for growth a million times each day.

So - a teacher who creates no discomfort in me? I should save my money and stay on the couch.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-28 11:55 AM (#98764 - in reply to #98749)

Thanks SisTourist: Actually, I am very comfortable with that kind of Discomfort!!!

Posted 2007-10-28 3:02 PM (#98766 - in reply to #98763)

I do not agree that a teacher should be trying to change his/her students.

Who am I to judge other people that I hardly know, find them lacking, and "know" that I have the answers for them. Even if I have all the answers for myself (which of course means that I am no longer growing,evolving) why does one think that they have the answers for another? To be responsible about changing another person requires (among other things) that you know them better than they know themself, otherwise it is egotism, arrogance, and self-centered dogmatism on the part of the teacher.

I believe that the job of a teacher is to give their students tools. It is up to the student what they do with those tools. It is also the job of the teacher to model the key ingredient of inquiry and discovery: saying "I don't know".
tourist
Posted 2007-10-28 5:15 PM (#98770 - in reply to #98766)

Expert Yogi

jim - definitely not trying to change my students, but creating the conditions in which they may find it good to change. You say you are giving tools, I say I am creating opportunities. I think we are doing the same thing with different language.

I have just been at our ballroom practice and a workshop today. Some of our teachers make a big deal, especially in the early part of our learning, of teaching us the steps and where to put our feet. These are tools. But for us to really learn to dance as a unit, and indeed, for my partner to lead me through complicated steps and sequences, as well as keep me safe on the dance floor, he needs to create opportunities for me to move to the place I need to go next. Once those opportunities are presented to me and an invitation is given, I can move effortlessly (and, it is hoped, with grace and poise...) through the dance. So, it is not an exact analogy, but similar, I think.

Posted 2007-10-28 8:05 PM (#98773 - in reply to #98770)

I like your "creating opportunities".

Posted 2007-10-28 9:17 PM (#98778 - in reply to #98763)

Tourist:

I believe it is the PUSHING not the change that is at issue. (see quote below)
Yoga is transformation. If it is to be the tool for changing from a mindless to a mindful evolution (for some it may NOT be and for those this would obviously be hogwash) then the teacher facilitates the evolution, as a tube or conduit for the transformation, not as the doer or the creator of the change.

We are merely the tunnels which yoga passes through and it is this concept that keeps the Ego in check. We do not do the changing, we merely open ourselves up and make available the vastness that is Yoga.

One of the things I think we tend to overlook as teachers is that there is a certain level of asking and consent a student gives in coming to Yoga (classes). Sometimes that is conscious and direct. Other times it is sub-conscious.

Who are we to assume people need to change? Hopefully we are those living an awarenss practice, seeing where others may not, and in that seeeing it is quite obvious that change is drastically needed. It is not to us to change our student's personalities. It is to us, however, to encourage them to examine their reason for being here and the way in which their actions serve that.

People come to the gym for transformation. They come to a school for transformation. They come to a piano teacher for transformation. They expect to be different when they leave - fitter, more educated, a better muscian.

We provide what we can by opening up Yoga to them.
Of course the rest is up to the student.

tourist - 2007-10-28 8:04 AM

I also do see some teaching staff who pushes you to the zone of discomfort.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-10-28 9:30 PM

Posted 2007-10-29 1:18 AM (#98785 - in reply to #98778)

I agree that teaching yoga is helping others learn skills (tools or opportunities) that may lead to their own personal transformation. I see this as very different from changing people.
tourist
Posted 2007-10-29 10:30 AM (#98796 - in reply to #98785)

Expert Yogi

All so true, Gordon and jim. Frankly, I have tried to change people (been married for 33 years, remember... ) and it simply does NOT work! Even in situations like with my children, where I deliberately used certain behaviours or words to create an effect (like reading my kids fairy tales to foster a sense of togetherness and love of reading) the effect often ended up not what I had intended (my daughter has a morbid fear of spinning wheels - I am not kidding! ) so I have long given up that idea.

People who want to change look for opportunities to do so. They go to yoga classes or piano lessons or take up knitting. Yoga teachers are there as conduits. We present what we know, including our own stories of change, either by directly speaking of them or simply being there at the front of the class, and students willingly (usually...) participate and open themselves to the idea of change. It may just be that they feel a bit better and sleep well on yoga nights and it may be that they carry on to make yoga a life-altering change. Either way, it is good.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-29 11:52 AM (#98799 - in reply to #98749)

What is the meaning of the statement: my daughter has a morbid fear of spinning wheels ?
tourist
Posted 2007-10-29 7:15 PM (#98824 - in reply to #98799)

Expert Yogi

I should have explained that one. In the old fairy tale, a princess pricks her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel (the place where they stick the raw wool to spin it. They usually aren't sharp, but that is the tale...) and falls asleep along with her father's whole kingdom for a hundred years. Eventually a prince comes along and kisses her and everyone wakes up and lives happily ever after, which is the part most little girls remember. But mine just thinks about the spindle and still hates spinning wheels even though she is grown up and married to her own prince
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-29 10:07 PM (#98827 - in reply to #98749)

Thanks. Best Luck to your Princess and the prince too.
charvaka
Posted 2007-10-30 12:50 AM (#98838 - in reply to #98749)

All are busy telling others how to live???

Posted 2007-10-30 1:51 AM (#98840 - in reply to #98838)

All are busy sharing a variety of opinions, many of them helpful.

We (people) can all learn from each other and sharing our insights, experience and opinions can be a wonderful learning experience, whether we agree or not. (Often we gain more from a contrary opinion because it makes us think, opens our minds and reminds us that there are multiple ways of seeing things.)
Sheala
Posted 2007-11-18 6:03 AM (#99602 - in reply to #98766)

Thanks so much for this:

I agree with the statement below - Teacher is not there to change the students or anyone; That's not the function s/he shall play and that's against the basic of Yoga practice indeed.

Yoga teachers are there to guide and let students explore the areas they haven't explored or where they feel unease in time.
Inspiration would be the best fruit from the practice with yoga teachers.

I recall Donna Farhi states in her book to let the practice serve you.
Since then, my path got in further shape and I do have a healthy lifestyle and practice that is inspiring.

And therefore, teachers are there to guide, give students directions and tools in order to let them find their own pace, balance and need. They are not there to impose their will; That's not a good teacher in yoga practice. Students shall decided what to do; Or the law will rule at the end.

I would like to work with teachers with kindness, knowledge, widsom, and life practice, which is not limited to Asana but also applied yogic principles that are the most challenging.

Thankfully I have a way to recognize who and who is fit to teach and guide. It is also important to take some distance to look around and see people around myself who can inspire me to grow in my practice. With Metta.

jimg - 2007-10-28 3:02 PM

I do not agree that a teacher should be trying to change his/her students.

Who am I to judge other people that I hardly know, find them lacking, and "know" that I have the answers for them. Even if I have all the answers for myself (which of course means that I am no longer growing,evolving) why does one think that they have the answers for another? To be responsible about changing another person requires (among other things) that you know them better than they know themself, otherwise it is egotism, arrogance, and self-centered dogmatism on the part of the teacher.

I believe that the job of a teacher is to give their students tools. It is up to the student what they do with those tools. It is also the job of the teacher to model the key ingredient of inquiry and discovery: saying "I don't know".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)