YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working on symmetry
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

yogabear
Posted 2007-10-29 5:52 PM (#98817)
Subject: Working on symmetry

Regular

Teachers, what do you think about being strict re balancing both sides, i.e., doing "exactly the same pose" on one side as the other?

For example, would it be okay to do a standing half lotus/toppling tree pose on one side and do a completely different vrkasana on the other?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-29 6:38 PM (#98821 - in reply to #98817)
Subject: RE: Working on symmetry

When you do this, you will get results accordingly. For example, we write with one hand for many years. And, then we get less ability to write with another hand.

Posted 2007-10-29 8:17 PM (#98826 - in reply to #98817)

It is not about being strict. It is about the intention for the practice. When I have students that need to hold a pose for 6 breaths on one side and 3 on the other then we do that - with those students who need it. I would not do such a thing unless there was a purpose. And it is not becasue I am strict. It is merely becasue we are workign for a certain purpose. Nine times out of ten, even when having a student demo a pose, I'd have them do the pose on the other side too.

What would your intention(s) be for doing such a thing?

Posted 2007-10-30 12:26 AM (#98834 - in reply to #98817)

why wouldn't you do the same pose on the opposite side?

perhaps if you wanted to demonstrate the different effects of two different poses...
i wouldn't have my students do a different pose, but i just started teaching, so talk to me in twenty years.

how "exactly the same" are you talking?
timing as well as posture?
yogabear
Posted 2007-10-31 5:43 AM (#98888 - in reply to #98834)

Regular

how "exactly the same" are you talking?
timing as well as posture?

Yes.

For example, doing a bind in extended side angel on one side & not the other, or half crow only on one side.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-10-31 6:52 AM (#98893 - in reply to #98888)

yogabear - 2007-10-31 5:43 AM
how "exactly the same" are you talking? timing as well as posture?
Yes. For example, doing a bind in extended side angel on one side & not the other, or half crow only on one side.

I can see not being symmetrical in certain poses where one side of your body needs more work than the other. For example, you might end up doing trikonasana or parsvottanasana three times rather than just twice; tighter side first, looser side, then tighter side a second time. Or with a bind, if you're unsuccessful or your body just isn't open enough on one side to accomplish it, but I would think you'd still want to work the actions of the pose to the best of your abilities. Half crow, sure, I can do it on one side and not the other to the same extent, but it doesn't mean I set out not to even try it on the other side.

It's unclear from your posts if what you want to do is avoid certain movements on certain sides completely, or than you want to work somewhat differently on certain sides due to limitations. Maybe I'm just reading in this second interpretation because of my own physical issues and needs to modify differently per side. I'm not as knowledgeable as some here, but my intuitive response would be not to avoid completely unless due to injury, and even then I'd keep the avoidance to both sides.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)