YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Anatomy Books
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

twisti
Posted 2007-10-31 7:50 PM (#98922)
Subject: Yoga Anatomy Books

Hey Guys, long time no post ...

Any suggestions on good yoga anatomy books, I have had a few but none that have really been inspiring or helpful to any great degree.

This is spose to be a great book http://www.bandhayoga.com/ anyone read it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-10-31 10:31 PM (#98923 - in reply to #98922)
Subject: RE: Yoga Anatomy Books

personally, i'd just start with a very basic anatomy chart. you can find a lot of them in different places--look around online. i find it's such an easy way to access the names of bones, muscles, etc. . .

and the way that i start memorizing them is by learning about a single muscle. first, i learn where it is and what it's name is (from the chart). then, for about 2-3 weeks, whenever i'm describing a pose, i'll say the name of the muscle (quadriceps), it's common name (front thigh muscle), and then point to it and describe the muscle (four parts, extends from hip to knee, etc). Then, after i get the name and location and basic structure down, i'll go online or somewhere (i have a few different anatomy books) and i'll learn about how the muscles function--different kinds of contraction, insertion points on which bones, etc). then, for a couple of weeks, i'll name the area and describe the contraction when it's in a posture--or the different sorts.

and when i feel that i've gotten that area down, to where it's second nature to describe it--then i'll move on to another muscle (or bone, or tendon, or muscle group, or other biological system such as the endocrine system).

btw, i'm going to lead a TT in NZ in Feb! PM me if you're interested. We're going to do anatomy intensive (this is a four module training--you can take all four or one--the first module goes over the skeletal system).

so anyway, that's what i do.

Posted 2007-10-31 11:17 PM (#98925 - in reply to #98923)

I would like to recommend "Anatomy of Hatha Yoga" by H David Coulter. I would also like to recommend a course in general anatomy and phisiology.

Posted 2007-11-01 12:31 AM (#98927 - in reply to #98922)

i like that book. it's dense, takes a long time to absorb. i reread it a lot, though. great reference.

a class is a good idea too-- like my teacher training! LOL ;)

Posted 2007-11-01 11:58 AM (#98939 - in reply to #98922)

While I don't have a specific suggestion I will point out that some books are very good with anatomy and very ignorant with yoga. So I watch carefully those books whos purpose it is to combine the two.

Posted 2007-11-01 12:47 PM (#98946 - in reply to #98922)

TK: How about "Yoga Anatomy"? Like a Reese Cup it's chocolate and peanut butter together. I just got it and helped diagnose my long thoracic nerve injury:
http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Anatomy-Leslie-Kaminoff/dp/0736062785
Here's more about Leslie:
http://www.breathingproject.org/leslie.shtml

Posted 2007-11-01 12:50 PM (#98947 - in reply to #98946)

I also like the Kaminoff book. Both the text and pictures are great.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-01 2:05 PM (#98954 - in reply to #98939)

That is fantastic, Sir!!!

purnayoga - 2007-11-01 11:58 AM

While I don't have a specific suggestion I will point out that some books are very good with anatomy and very ignorant with yoga. So I watch carefully those books whos purpose it is to combine the two.
twisti
Posted 2007-11-03 2:37 AM (#99018 - in reply to #98922)

Thanks guys ... got Coulter's book. I think thats pretty standard, if not a bit dry.

Wish listed Kaminoff, thanks Brucey.

Might be in NZ in Jan ... is your TT in early or late Feb Jen?

And no one has read or heard any reports on http://www.bandhayoga.com/ ?

Posted 2007-11-03 10:20 AM (#99026 - in reply to #98922)

Ah man--ZB & TK together in NZ in January--if that happens ladies, and I mean this in a completely platonic, loving way, I want pictures!

Posted 2007-11-03 3:20 PM (#99030 - in reply to #98922)

Kristi:

The teacher training is Feb 1-8 in Nelson, NZ. There's information about it on my web site, and if you have any questions, just ask!

http://www.jenifermparker.com

Also, i haven't heard of anything from that group, but i'll check out their web site.

oh and Bruce:

If you want pictures, better come and take them.

Edited by zoebird 2007-11-03 3:23 PM
Gruvemom
Posted 2007-11-03 3:57 PM (#99034 - in reply to #98922)

Hey guys! I know I haven't posted in a long time... been living life and going to yoga teacher training... it's been awesome and alot and I've had to let a lot of stuff slide .... my online activities is one of those things... the housework... well... let's be real, I never do more of that than I have to anyway...

So Twisti, I've read the muscles of hatha yoga and it's a fabulous book, I think you might get more out of the book "The Anatomy of Movement" by Blandine Calais-Germain, Eastland Press 1993.  the price on the softcover book is $28.50. 
We (at TT) are studying anatomy with a Chiropractor who just loves this book and is starting to use it in the classes he teaches outside of our TT. In adition, I was having some difficulty communicating with myl dh's Orthopedic surgeon, brought the book a long and HE loved it.
It's very clear and concise and direct.
All the best
Gruve

Posted 2007-11-03 4:01 PM (#99035 - in reply to #98922)

cool GM!

i'll check it out too!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)