YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Headstands
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

jaina
Posted 2007-11-01 4:42 PM (#98957)
Subject: Headstands

Hi, I havent done any yoga for a while 6months or so,yesterday i went to my old class, about 5 minutes after doing a headstand,i lost all sense of balance and the room was moving.Iwasnt dizzy or faint feeling ,it was like being on a funfair ride and scary.could it be something loose in my ear or my neck? am a bit scared to do headstands again! today i felt it mildly a couple of times when i leant down and got out of bed.grateful for any advice as to whether it could be serious thanks jaina
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-11-01 5:11 PM (#98958 - in reply to #98957)
Subject: RE: Headstands

Helllo Jaina.

Well a six month hiatus from asana practice then a return which incorporates headstand may be okay for some but ill-advised for others. Depending on the level of one's practice, a break of that length of time can move one back to a beginning level and therefore the return would be best mapped with prep for Sirsasana rather than actually having the student go up.

Did you experience the room spinning while IN the pose or after coming down? Could you please outline the way you enter and exit the pose, what sequence you were doing in class, what style you practice, and what instructions you receive in Sirsasana please?

There is no way to gauge the seriousness for you based on what you've shared. And since I cannot see you in the pose and do not know the nature of your practice before the break, the difficulty is magnified. If you are a student who still has powerful access to the actions of the serratus anerior and you can still move the shoulder blades, and you were not bearing weight on the head then it's probable you avoided anything "serious" though I consider Sirsasana a "serious" pose, injury or not.

If you've been inactive in your life for six months and have let go of some of the strength of your foundation for Sirsasana - the ability to root the outer wrists, forearms, and elbows into the earth, then it is posssible you took too much of your weight on the head.

It is also possible you simply have in inner ear infection of vertigo and the inversion itself brought that up in a way that was not available to you standing on your feet.

It would be wise to have this checked out ESPECIALLY if you are moving in the mental direction of fear, concern, or worry as those mind conditions do not lead to health. I would not do inversions for now unless you are with a highly skilled yoga teacher trained in therapeutics and alignment. Should other symptoms present then you may share them here and that might provide more data for assessment.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-11-01 5:13 PM
jaina
Posted 2007-11-05 4:35 PM (#99099 - in reply to #98958)

Hi many thnaks for your reply,I do ashtanga yoga,and when doing Sirsasana at the end of the practice, i went up slowly and came down slowly, felt spining a few mintes after coming downi think it is almost definately BPPV i go to dr tomorrow and cranial osteopath thurs as my neck feels week and achy too! think you are right bi took too much on my head, thanks again for your help jaina
jaina
Posted 2007-11-05 4:40 PM (#99100 - in reply to #98957)

Hi Karmann,many thanks for your reply definately seems like what you said,not got used to this site yet and didnt realise i could have replied to both answers together! so you have probably read that i go to see people about it this week.
Many thanks again jaina
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)