YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nausea during long stretches
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

lewellen17
Posted 2007-11-01 8:15 PM (#98964)
Subject: Nausea during long stretches

Hola,

I have been trying to supplement my ashtanga practice by doing some slow deep stretching at night. As my hips are somewhat tight, I've been trying to open them up a bit with pigeon/swan, gomukhasana, lunges and the like, holding each stretch for several minutes rather than the usual 5 breaths. Now, gomukhasana is fine, and pigeon is fine if I stay upright. But if I try to fold forward, face down, I get incredibly nauseous after two or three slow deep breaths. I also feel somewhat claustrophobic. Is it a night-time thing? The extended stay in the asana that I'm just not used to? Anyone else had this happen and found a way to combat it?

cheers,

lisa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nancy1991
Posted 2007-11-02 1:05 PM (#98990 - in reply to #98964)
Subject: RE: Nausea during long stretches

I also find that if I hold a asana too long I feel nauseous, I also get nauseous if I practive too long at a time. I wonder if it isn't that we're abit dehydrated during out practices? I also have stomach motility diesease so that plays a part in my nausea but I don't want to give up on yoga. nancy
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-02 5:09 PM (#99004 - in reply to #98964)
Subject: RE: Nausea during long stretches

Thanks for this post. That clearly shows that Ashtanga Style exercise does not address everything. But, it does address something which others may not be addressing. So, depending on what you want, you should do the practice. So, now you should introduce these long stretches in a way you get to where you want to be. Take a lesson from an experienced teacher to solve this situation.

lewellen17 - 2007-11-01 8:15 PM

Hola,

I have been trying to supplement my ashtanga practice by doing some slow deep stretching at night. As my hips are somewhat tight, I've been trying to open them up a bit with pigeon/swan, gomukhasana, lunges and the like, holding each stretch for several minutes rather than the usual 5 breaths. Now, gomukhasana is fine, and pigeon is fine if I stay upright. But if I try to fold forward, face down, I get incredibly nauseous after two or three slow deep breaths. I also feel somewhat claustrophobic. Is it a night-time thing? The extended stay in the asana that I'm just not used to? Anyone else had this happen and found a way to combat it?

cheers,

lisa
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)