YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

assisted headstand safety?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

saab340
Posted 2007-11-03 10:15 PM (#99043)
Subject: assisted headstand safety?

I go to an Ashtanga class where when its time for headstand, the instructor assists students in getting into the pose. I get into dolphin pose with the instructor standing in front and then walk my feet forward up to a point. I don't know the exact technique the instructor uses, but it feels like she tilts me forward (grabbing at the hips?) until my center of gravity is completely on my forearms. Somehow the legs come up after that and my feet/ankles are supported by the instructor's shoulders. Its as if the instructor is the wall.

So far I haven't gotten injured. However, I have some doubts about this practice, because I'm clearly not doing the work to get into the pose.

What is the risk of injury in doing headstand assisted by an instructor in this manner? Also are there any benefits to learning headstand this way?

Edited by saab340 2007-11-03 10:25 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-11-04 6:31 AM (#99045 - in reply to #99043)
Subject: RE: assisted headstand safety?

Hi Saab340,
Ha! I was just talikng about this problem in my class this morning. When a teacher provides an adjustment to a student's posture, there is a possibility that it doesn't help-the adjustment should teach a student the correct movement to achieve the correct posture, so that a different pattern of muscle activation is used to the one the student is already using.
But because the teacher is providing the adjustment, the student perhaps doesn't learn to activate te correct muscles, but only feels stretch on the opposite side of the joints.
I think this might be relevant to your question, because one of the actions of dolphin, and headstand, is to learn to extend the thoracic spine (any vertebra with a rib at the side of it).
With both postures, improper technique will allow this part of the spine to flex-in headstand, this results in compression of the neck, so dolphin is often used to teach the correct action.
The way I teach headstand is a bit unusual-no weight is supported by the head and neck, all the weight is borne by the forearms and hands-so there is actually not much difference between the two postures (or, for that matter, between any of the inversions). This way, each inversion progresses to the next 'more advanced one.' Down dog, shoulderstand, headstand, vrykasana, etc.

So maye part of the problem is that you are not using one posture to lay a path to the next-perhaps try to use dolphin to create a bridge towards headstand, and perform headstand in a way that uses the training you have given yourself in dolphin?
Hope that helps a bit

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-11-04 10:25 AM (#99048 - in reply to #99043)

Expert Yogi

saab - there is nothing wrong with this assistance as long as you have also been taught (and are using) the correct actions of the forearms, shoulder blades etc. and placing your head correctly. If you are simply being "put" into the pose without that instruction, you could indeed hurt yourself, but if you are working correctly and just getting a bit of a hand going up, it should not be a problem. BUT ifyou are worried and getting progressively getting more worried or scared, you will likely not execute the pose well and that will also add to your potential to get hurt.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-11-07 8:35 PM (#99195 - in reply to #99043)

I think the instructor just saw something in you that made them think you would benefit from trying it. I like to encourage my students. When I see them working hard, it's nice to take time to show them postures that they will eventually be able to do unassisted

I would enjoy getting the help. Soon they will be telling you to go up on your own and you won't get help again. Try to enjoy the learning process and if you trust this teacher, then you will find yourself doing things with their help when they see things that you don't see.

Just let them know if you need to come down. Have a plan to come down quickly if you need to.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)