YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Parvaneh
Posted 2007-11-05 5:21 PM (#99103)
Subject: Teaching Yoga

Hi, this is probably a subject that was discussed here before, but i'm new to this website and i don't quite have the time to go back too much and read everything that has been posted.
I'm just writing because I'm a bit unclear about the system of getting certified and teaching yoga here, in North America. I come from Europe and it seems like here the whole thing operates on different rules than those known to me. I live in Canada now, so the Canadian users will probably be the most informed about this. However, i will appreciate everyone's answer.
I have been practicing yoga, by myself and with diferent teachers for about 8 years, mostly hatha yoga, but i'm also interested in Ashtanga and Kundalini lately too. I'm planning to get a certification and open my own studio, but...how does this work? There are thousands of yoga teacher training programs in my area (Toronto), most of them registered with Yoga Alliance.
I figgured that the best choice would be Sivananda Teacher Training in Quebec, since i go to their school and i enjoy their method.
However, taking (only) the Sivananda certification means that I can only teach that style of yoga, in the sequence that they choose for their practice? I'm a bit of a free spirit, I like to "personalize" things sometimes, so I don't want to find myself bound to teaching only that style (which I find to be a bit strict). Also, would that certification allow me to teach Ashtanga style(they don't include it in their program, but I study it myself...)? Does taking just the 200hour certification program mean that, while I am an advanced yoga practitioner, I'm only alowed to teach a beginner's class?
I see that most teachers here have a few certifications, which I am willing to do in time, but I need a place to start and I don't want to throw myself in something that I'm not so sure about.
Sorry about the long message and thank you in advance for all your answers
I wish you all peace and health!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-11-07 11:30 PM (#99204 - in reply to #99103)
Subject: RE: Teaching Yoga

the Sivananda certification means that I can only teach that style of yoga, in the sequence that they choose for their practice?

i do not think it means that you can only teach this style of yoga. i think it just gives you basic skills, and then--like most teachers--you develop your own style or method of teaching. i have certifications (or training really) from a variety of different kinds of teachers--kripalu, sivanada, astanga, power vinyasa, etc--and i rarely teach those styles "purely." i take from all of them, and i am inspired most by my students. they're amazing! i look at them and determine what they need that i can give them, and we go from there.

would that certification allow me to teach Ashtanga style(they don't include it in their program, but I study it myself...)?

to me, this is one of those things such as "who is going to stop you?" what i mean is this: if you understand and know the sequence, why not? of course, some people like to have specific certification, but to me, it doesn't matter so much.

for example, i've not practiced bikram sequence for more than about 30 times or so. and yet, i have taught bikram sequence in a bikram studio. the local studio owner was in a pinch. she was out of town, her teacher got sick, and her sub couldn't get a baby sitter. i was the only teacher whom she knew who knew the sequence ('m really good at 'getting' sequences and remembering them), and so she called me, i taught the class, and whenever they need a sub i teach there. similarly, i have taught "yin yoga" even though i'm not certified in the style of "yin yoga" that that studio prefers. But, i know enough about yoga and i understand the basic theory of yin yoga to run a yin yoga class.

i have taken astanga teacher trainings with Beryl Bender Birch, but not her full certification, and i have also taught astanga yoga at pure astanga studios as well as in gyms and other settings. so it's never really held me back.

and if you have your own studio, then who would question it? you're a certified yoga instructor, and these are the classes that you offer. if you include astanga in that, people might say "have you studied with pattabhi jois? or manju? or beryl? or david?" and if you haven't, then they might go elsewhere, or they might not care. personally, i don't care. i judge the class by the class, not by the training of the teacher.

Does taking just the 200hour certification program mean that, while I am an advanced yoga practitioner, I'm only alowed to teach a beginner's class?

i actually prefer beginners to be taught by advanced teachers and for advanced practitioners to be taught by beginner teachers. the reason for this is that a beginner is at greater risk for injury due to things that are no fault of the beginner teacher--it's just a lack of experience. but experienced practitioners can help a teacher get his/her 'legs' as a teacher, with the least amount of risk to the student.

even so, it's not really an issue at all. you can teach beginner or advanced classes, anywhere you want.

---

part of the reason why you see teachers with multiple certifications is because there isn't a whole lot of advanced training available. you can get 200 cert from this place, and 500 cert from that place, and there are a few places that will do 'advanced stuff' beyond that--but not really. so a teacher who wants continuing education has to continually go to trainings that exist--at the 200 or 500 level.

so, they end up with multiple 200 or 500 hour certifications. . .if they go that route.

start with one, go from there. you know? there's no rush, and there's no magic number (beyond the 200 hr training) that you need to achieve to be accepted.

and heck, some people don't even do that and still work.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-08 8:05 AM (#99215 - in reply to #99103)

Dear Parvaneh:

There is NO need for you to obtain any particular certificate for teaching Yoga. The only thing you need is that you feel confident that you know what you are teaching and you wish to teach it.

You may like to attend a certification program of one kind or another for learning what they have to offer you and depending on what you already know. I am surprised that after 8 years of practice and study, you still state that you want to learn something in the styles you mentioned below.

If you want to teach at particular setting, for example, Gym XYZ, you should directly ask them whether they want a particular certificate and obtain that particular certificate if you want to be their employee. In my opinion: Employee is a stage next to Slavery, including myself in it.

And, if you want to open a studio, you do not need any certification as well. However, if you want a particular group of students, or a particular number of students, and particular revenue, you should do a statistical survey of studios and find who is satisfying your need.

I wish you best in what you are looking for.

Parvaneh - 2007-11-05 5:21 PM

Hi, this is probably a subject that was discussed here before, but i'm new to this website and i don't quite have the time to go back too much and read everything that has been posted.
I'm just writing because I'm a bit unclear about the system of getting certified and teaching yoga here, in North America. I come from Europe and it seems like here the whole thing operates on different rules than those known to me. I live in Canada now, so the Canadian users will probably be the most informed about this. However, i will appreciate everyone's answer.
I have been practicing yoga, by myself and with diferent teachers for about 8 years, mostly hatha yoga, but i'm also interested in Ashtanga and Kundalini lately too. I'm planning to get a certification and open my own studio, but...how does this work? There are thousands of yoga teacher training programs in my area (Toronto), most of them registered with Yoga Alliance.
I figgured that the best choice would be Sivananda Teacher Training in Quebec, since i go to their school and i enjoy their method.
However, taking (only) the Sivananda certification means that I can only teach that style of yoga, in the sequence that they choose for their practice? I'm a bit of a free spirit, I like to "personalize" things sometimes, so I don't want to find myself bound to teaching only that style (which I find to be a bit strict). Also, would that certification allow me to teach Ashtanga style(they don't include it in their program, but I study it myself...)? Does taking just the 200hour certification program mean that, while I am an advanced yoga practitioner, I'm only alowed to teach a beginner's class?
I see that most teachers here have a few certifications, which I am willing to do in time, but I need a place to start and I don't want to throw myself in something that I'm not so sure about.
Sorry about the long message and thank you in advance for all your answers
I wish you all peace and health!
Parvaneh
Posted 2007-11-11 10:35 PM (#99358 - in reply to #99103)

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies! They're really helpful!
I think I have my mind set on doing the Sivananda teacher training. Yes, I do feel like I have to be certified, mostly because I have zero experience teaching, especially teaching in English.
See you around, in the world of yoga

Posted 2007-11-12 4:58 PM (#99389 - in reply to #99103)

Zoe and Neel-
brilliant as usual.

the impression that i've gotten from my brief experience as a yoga teacher is that no amount of 'teacher training' can really teach you to be a teacher.
just gotta go out there and do it
i have yet to experience training where someone tells me how to translate sensations in my body into coherent sentences

not that i'm saying teacher trainings have no value.
rather, they've always brought me greater depth to my own practice, which is really what a teacher needs to have.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-12 5:29 PM (#99392 - in reply to #99103)

Dhanurasana: Thanks for your compliments. I received this in the inbox today:

Dear Neel,

I just returned from a cruise to Panama, Costa Rico, and Belize. I heard your phone message, but was not available. during the cruise, I provided a yoga lecture to the Tuskegee Veterinarian Medical Alumni Association. It was successful. Many of the attendees are now inspired to join a yoga class. Thanks to you, I have been given the training, and resources to feel comfortable presenting information based on my knowledge. I constantly read the books you have given me, and have purchased additional books to continue my yoga education. I am eternally thankful to Iliana for telling me about your yoga teacher training class.

I hope to come to one of your classes between now and the end of December. Additionally, I will be inviting you to a yoga party at my house between now and the end of December.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-12 11:11 PM (#99400 - in reply to #99358)

Hey p and others. I found this on the youtube. And, this might give you some encouragement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsilUNlM1YM

Parvaneh - 2007-11-11 10:35 PM

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies! They're really helpful!
I think I have my mind set on doing the Sivananda teacher training. Yes, I do feel like I have to be certified, mostly because I have zero experience teaching, especially teaching in English.
See you around, in the world of yoga
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)