YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll right yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Biaba
Posted 2007-11-10 4:37 AM (#99315)
Subject: right yoga

Hello everybody!
I would be happy if you could give me the right direction..
I have joint problems and after visiting doctors and many analysis they came to conclusion that there is no reason for it - bonds, holding together joints become looser and looser so I can't jump, run..not even swim with full capacity.
It should be psyhological reaoson laying beyond. But meanwhile - doctors are strictly against I continue wiht yoga as it streches and relaxes all my body. my muscles are weak as well. I do yoga because yoga is way of life, thinking, attitude, love and physical discipline as well. It helps me understand world and myself. I know there is another kind of yoga with opposite effect - wich mobilises body, muscles, breath, makes it stronger. Could anybody share experience or give advice?

thank you!

Edited by Biaba 2007-11-10 4:58 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-10 7:40 AM (#99317 - in reply to #99315)
Subject: RE: right yoga

All that depends on a) what kind of yoga practice you are doing b) what kind of background the doctors have c) what exactly they are trying to say, etc.
Biaba
Posted 2007-11-10 8:28 AM (#99321 - in reply to #99315)

I am doing Hatha yoga for 4-5 years. Doctors - they represent traditional medicine like rheumatolog, analysis of blood, urine, hormone.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-10 10:11 AM (#99325 - in reply to #99315)

Good. All the yoga exercises generally come with the name of Hatha Yoga. There is NO special Style of Exercise called Hathayoga, even though some classes are named Hatha Yoga.

What I meant in my a) above is: What exactly you are doing while doing exercise. Unfortunately, it has to be seen in person ONLY.
Biaba
Posted 2007-11-12 9:13 AM (#99368 - in reply to #99315)

while doing exercises I:
1.relax my mind, let thoughts run through my head without attaching
2.chose one asana and try to slip in to posture slowly without pressure. it takes 5-15 minutes for 1 asana
3.keep on breathing, feeling how energy flows through body.
4. stop when I feel it should be stopped.

There should be something wrong I am doing as it gives wrong results.

Posted 2007-11-12 12:11 PM (#99374 - in reply to #99315)

You may find a more targeted reply if you tell us more about you.
For example, my feedback for the student you describe who is 20 years old would be different than the same condition for a 50 year old man. Without the background of you I am limited in what assessments I can make.

The kinda of physical practice you briefly mention, which I will refer to as "asana" for right now, WOULD tend to go into your connective tissue. Coming into poses and doing so over or for 10 minutes without alignment or action in the body may feel relaxing (as does being intoxicated from alcohol) but it does not enlist your muscle tissue. It may be meditative, it may lead to samadhi, it may feel good, it may put you to sleep.

I would agree you need a gentle and mindful practice but it sounds like you need one of stability not mobility (though it is always a mix, to one ratio or another). Stability and strength are built upon the foundations of alignment (for health purposes). When a student strengthens without alignment then there is repercussion in the physical body.

Since this board is global I realize you may very well be in another country (not the one I am in). So directing you becomes more complex AND you did not share such information (your location) in any of your text. It might be prudent IF you are interested in doing something outside of the allopathic medical model, to find a qualified yoga therapist who has worked with your situation before (hopefully many times).

In that way you can get proper information on ways to support your healing physically, mentally, spiritually, and nutritionally.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-11-12 12:30 PM
Biaba
Posted 2007-11-12 3:10 PM (#99383 - in reply to #99315)

I am living in Latvia, Eastern Europe, I m 29 woman. In Latvia yoga is becoming more and more popular but most of them teach the way i was describing my practice.
Doctors, representing allophatic medicine recomends me to give up yoga and do some pillates, aerobics as they are aware of that one kind of yoga i am doing.
Thank you for trying to help.
I stopped doing yoga but I dont feel well when leaving my body lazy. I stopped doing physical exercises as they started to make pain - running, swimming. I don't want the same with yoga.
Biaba
Posted 2007-11-12 3:12 PM (#99384 - in reply to #99315)

Purnayoga, could you please describe, what does it mean - Stability and strength are built upon the foundations of alignment (for health purposes). ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)