YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

nice little article
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2007-11-16 2:55 PM (#99568)
Subject: nice little article

yada, yada---consciousness--

http://www.isityourneed.com/self-improvement/blog/4/who-you-really-are-beyond-the-mind/

nice short article
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-11-16 5:35 PM (#99569 - in reply to #99568)
Subject: RE: nice little article

Enjoyed the article.

Following the initial logic of this article, one could also argue that thought, feelings and consciousness are all chemical reactions happening in the body (that are part of that body) that give the illusion of consciousness. Why aren't thoughts, feelings and consciousness all just coping mechanisms that our bodies have developed to keep it alive? Since there is no thought, feeling or consciousness without the body and they all produce verifiable chemical reactions in the body, how can the body be the illusion? It seems to me that any separation of the body, thought, feelings and consciousness is linguistics, not reality. Even though we perceive ourselves as separate, our bodies are not actually separate from the rest of the world as we are exchanging ourselves with our environment with each and every breath. Our bodies are made up of the food that we eat and the water that we drink. Our minds are also not separate from the rest of the world because they are a product of our culture and our language. Our emotions are universal as people everywhere feel the same emotions. I think that our individuality is more likely the illusion rather than the physical universe that includes our bodies. Only our genetic material is unique and it is made up of all our ancestors. Maybe our perception of ourselves and the universe is not very accurate; maybe our perception of ourselves and the universe can become more accurate through quieting the mind and relaxing the body and thereby opening ourselves to a broader, more accurate vision. Consciousness does not exist on its own; it requires both a subject and an object. It requires a being that is conscious and something to be conscious of.

To view the different functions of the human as separate doesn't make much sense when they are all totally interdependent, totally integrated. The separation of body, thought, emotions and consciousness reminds me of the fable of the blind men and the elephant. Who are you? I think that the answer to this question is more likely a process of self-awareness than a final verbal answer, because a verbal answer is a product of thought, culture and language and is therefore incomplete and conditional.

To any of you who feel like answering these ideas, please think about it fresh and new and don't just come back with quotes from somebody else or simply repeating something that you have said before. If we all can look at this fresh, without any preconceived conclusions, I think that we can all benefit greatly. I would like to stimulate a dialog, not an argument. I think that we can all learn more by sharing our questions than sharing our answers!

Namaste,
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)