YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thanksgiving post
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-11-20 3:41 PM (#99706)
Subject: Thanksgiving post

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm grateful for many things: My wife and child, my house, my health, my family, my friends, and of course yoga!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-11-20 5:55 PM (#99709 - in reply to #99706)
Subject: RE: Thanksgiving post

Hi Eric,
We don't celebrate it, but I'll dig out the cranberry sauce and wish you happy thanksgiving too!

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-20 10:58 PM (#99716 - in reply to #99706)

Thank you all for everything.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-20 11:58 PM (#99719 - in reply to #99709)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2007-11-20 5:55 PM

Hi Eric,
We don't celebrate it, but I'll dig out the cranberry sauce and wish you happy thanksgiving too!

Nick

That's some great stuff ain't it, I like to soak my cornbread dressing in it. Yum...I call it Cranberry Porridge,

Happy Thanks-for-giving Day ya'll! I'm going South and then way up North.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-11-20 11:59 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-11-21 2:51 AM (#99721 - in reply to #99719)

Hey Cyndi,
Yep, it's lovely stuff-as you are a foodie, have you ever tried balsamic sauce? You cook balsamic vinegar, orange juice, a knob of butter until it's reduced, add some mushrooms after a few minutes of cooking, perhaps a little salt and pepper, then put it under a great big steak.
I'm looking forward to my first heart attack

Nick
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-21 6:29 AM (#99724 - in reply to #99706)

I'm the pie chef for our dinner tomorrow. My grandmother used to be the pie chef, and I was luck enough to inherit her talent, and I'm thankful. Everyday.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-21 8:01 AM (#99727 - in reply to #99721)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2007-11-21 2:51 AM

Hey Cyndi,
Yep, it's lovely stuff-as you are a foodie, have you ever tried balsamic sauce? You cook balsamic vinegar, orange juice, a knob of butter until it's reduced, add some mushrooms after a few minutes of cooking, perhaps a little salt and pepper, then put it under a great big steak.
I'm looking forward to my first heart attack

Nick

Oh yes, absolutely I love Balsamic Vinegar. I eat it with everything. You know, that is one of the things I'm looking forward to when I travel to Italy...the BV and OLIVE OIL! Those mushrooms sound very good, I'll have to try that. Although...I won't be eating them with a steak...wonder how Venison would taste??? There will be no heart attack, delete that. Besides, Venison is more heart healthy ya know,
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-21 8:08 AM (#99728 - in reply to #99724)

Expert Yogi

bstqltmkr - 2007-11-21 6:29 AM

I'm the pie chef for our dinner tomorrow. My grandmother used to be the pie chef, and I was luck enough to inherit her talent, and I'm thankful. Everyday.

You know, I'm the pie chef too. This is how I'm doing it. This morning I'm taking Yodha and DD to the lake on a very loooong walk along the dam. Afterwards, I'm going by this little deli here in the mountains and picking up my homemade pies that I pre-oredered 2 weeks ago. One is a Sweet Potato and the other is a Caramel/Apple. Then I'm hopping back into my car, and I'm going to get back home, get showered and packed...and then it's off to Sister's house where Thanks-for-giving is already prepared. We're having traditional Thanks-for-giving Southern Style. Since sister learned from Mother too, how to make the Southern Cornbread Dressing, no worries about whether it turns out good or not and the plus is that I didn't have to slave in the kitchen this year.....although...I'm going to be doing a hellava lot of driving...on the road again......just can't wait to get on the road again....no trains, planes.....just automobile.

Oh yea, we do the traditional watching of "Trains, Planes and Automobiles" movie tonight....then it's "Home for the Holidays" tomorrow.
Nick
Posted 2007-11-21 8:10 AM (#99729 - in reply to #99727)

Hi Cyndi,
Yes, venison should work-it's got a strong taste. Italy should be great for those taste buds, what with all the virgins you'll be sampling (virgin olive oils, that is ). I guess the trick is to get away from those tourist traps, where the food is over-priced and the restaurants are catering for foreign tastes. Have fun!

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-21 8:10 AM (#99730 - in reply to #99706)

I am pie eating chief. Please do not feel shy of asking me to.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-21 8:29 AM (#99735 - in reply to #99729)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2007-11-21 8:10 AM

Hi Cyndi,
Yes, venison should work-it's got a strong taste. Italy should be great for those taste buds, what with all the virgins you'll be sampling (virgin olive oils, that is ). I guess the trick is to get away from those tourist traps, where the food is over-priced and the restaurants are catering for foreign tastes. Have fun!

Nick

That won't be hard to do seeing as how I will be staying with my Italian and Nepali relatives. There won't be much eating out at restaurants....these people LOVE to cook good food. No Tourist traps for me!! Not you Glenda,

Venison is kinda stout ain't it?? I love it though...it's soo organic and lean.

I wish I were in my teens doing this trip....my DD is already having discussions with her friends about Italian boys and how cute they are. Her step-cousin/neice not sure which one yet, (my husband's neice) who she will be hanging out with is 16, DD is 15. We are going to set it up where my daughter can go to school with her for a day or two, which should be very interesting. My daughter is soo lucky to be able to have this experience.
joscmt
Posted 2007-11-21 9:48 AM (#99739 - in reply to #99706)

I always end up on potato duty for Thanksgiving. Although, I boycott the sweet potatoes with marshmallows and goo. I like my sweet potatoes au natural....

Cyndi- the Italy experience will so much fun for your daughter.. and the Italian boys ARE cute!! I went when I was 2, 9, 13, 15, 21, 22...... and it was fun each time for different reasons (don't really remember the trip when I was 2 Unfortunately, I became a chef in the time since then and haven't had the time off or the $$$ to make the trip.... one day, though...

As for Thanksgiving, I have soooo much to be thankful for. Especially, this little squirmy baby who is currently kicking me in the obliques (she's WAY off to the side!! )
tourist
Posted 2007-11-21 10:04 AM (#99740 - in reply to #99739)

Expert Yogi

I can't trap anyone over about the age of two - they are stronger than me and get away Well, I DID manage to trap Mr. Tourist, but that was long ago and the bait was....er....fresher

One thing DD found out in Italy is that balsamic is only a big deal around Modena, but there is good olive oil everywhere.

Posted 2007-11-21 11:22 AM (#99742 - in reply to #99740)

ML:

i was thinking today about how you're so close to your birthday! how cool is that?

as for me,

i'm thankful for groundlessness, and for october j (even though he's passed, of course), and for my new way of managing and developing my relationship with my ILs (it's working--it only took me 10 years to find it. i think i just needed to mature), and all kinds of other great stuff.

i'm leading yoga with live music this friday night at 7, if anyone is in the area and wants to check it out. it will be in downtown phoenixville, pa. i'll give you more info if you want it!

and here's what i'm serving this year (yes, i get to slave away again!--but i like it! ) :

butternut squash soup
butter lettuce with dried cherries and gorgonzola with a dried cherry vinegarette

turkey with goat cheese sauce
mashed parsnips (mashed with sour cream and garlic)
green beans with wild mushrooms

vanilla-orange cake with marscapone/elderflower-orange marmalade filling and vanilla sauce

for beverages:

water with orange slice and celery (very refreshing, btw)
sparkling water with lime
lingonberry or elderflower syrup with sparkling water
iced roobios chai

and for dessert beverages

african mistress coffee (dark roast, french press)
lady grey tea or rose-marzipan tea

yup, i think it's going to be very nice!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-11-21 3:11 PM (#99753 - in reply to #99706)

You guys really enjoying food!

I'm making mashed potatoes and pumpkim pie! Nothing special, just american classics. The pumpkim pie will have a crust, a crushed layer of pecans and ginger snaps and then the regular filling.

The potatoes will have butter, milk and salt and pepper in them.

And, my wife is doing the upside down cake, but I don't mess with her when she is in the kitchen..

Posted 2007-11-21 3:38 PM (#99754 - in reply to #99753)

Since we have already had two traditional turkey Thanksgiving dinners this year, I'm making something new called Prague Ham. You take a whole ham, coat it with coriander, cumin and sage, cover it (1-2 inches thick) with rye/whole wheat bread dough and bake it slowly for about 3 hours. Serve with a Madiera sauce (Madiera and apple juice reduced with finely chopped shallots, butter and light cream). My wife will be preparing a whole lot of fruits and vegetables and my sister-in-law is bringing the pies. When you cook a ham this way, the meat stays incredibly moist and the fat is all absorbed by the bread, which becomes crisp. (I ate this over 30 years ago and will be trying it myself for the first time.)

Hope all of you have a wonderful feast tomorrow.

Posted 2007-11-21 4:33 PM (#99755 - in reply to #99706)

I really do love food, yes.

I've never made an upside down cake, but i have a recipe for one called "winter jewel upside down cake" that has all sorts of bright, colorful fruit and white cake. anyway, looks interesting and i may try it for christmas (though we're going to my sister's, so it might not be possible).

i'm psyched. i thought i had two large spring form pans (and i do), but i just ofund in my wedding box (while digging out napkins and candles) two boxes of small, individual sized spring form pans. i'd wanted to make individual sized cakes, but couldn't figure out how with cupcakes. a-ha! mini spring forms! woohoo!

btw, that ham bit sounds great. maybe i do that for christmas. . .

Posted 2007-11-21 5:38 PM (#99756 - in reply to #99755)

To all of you serious cooks out there, I would like to recommend the cook book "Raji Cuisine" by Raji Jallepalli subtitled "Indian spices, French passion". Not only are the recipes great, they can inspire you to many wonderful new creations.

zoebird,
I'll let you know how the ham turns out.
tourist
Posted 2007-11-21 6:30 PM (#99757 - in reply to #99756)

Expert Yogi

Mmmmmmm! The ham and the pumpkin pie with pecans etc. sound awesome! And the mashed parsnips, and, and, and.... I may have to start celebrating American Thanksgiving, too

Posted 2007-11-23 9:48 AM (#99784 - in reply to #99706)

i think canadians have it right celebrating earlier in the year. it's way too stressful to have it so close to christmas. bah!

anyway, holiday went off nicely.

the food worked out beautifully--everyone was happy.

i was a bit stressed overall, because i'd had the inclination to start three days of novenas to the christ child of prague on tuesday. that means that i had to stop every hour and spend 10 mintues on concerted, on the knees prayer. Anyway, the inclination was for my friend's mother, Rosie, who i learned this morning has been hospitalized since monday night (when i got the inclination).

it's hard to do that and cook and serve dinner, and have the ILs watching, not knowing where i was disappearing to (the yoga room) for 15 minutes. and, my MIL isn't very pro-catholic anyway, and, well. . .who wants to explain novenas to the christ child of prague to a woman who vehemently doesn't believe in novenas or other "catholic weirdness."

but, it was a good holiday, and we feel good all around.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-11-23 10:05 AM (#99786 - in reply to #99784)

Expert Yogi

Okay, that's it...I'm done with Thanksgiving food...especially after I ate Red Velvet cake for breakfast today, then for a mid-brunch...it was a turkey sandwich with mayo and WHITE bread,

Posted 2007-11-23 10:35 AM (#99788 - in reply to #99786)

Allright Sister Cydi--you have just about totally come to the darkside--you doing Guiness before noon?

Posted 2007-11-23 2:25 PM (#99790 - in reply to #99756)

zoebird,

Since you were interested in the ham and I said that I would let you know:

The Prague Ham was good but I thought too much work for the result. I think that the bread dough (equal parts coursely ground hazelnuts, rye flour, whole wheat flour and bread flour with carraway and cumin seeds) idea would work better with a pork tenderloin (also coated with freshly ground coriander, sage and a little black pepper and brown mustard seeds). The Madiera sauce (equal parts Madiera, apple juice and chicken stock reduced to half with shallots, butter and light cream) was wonderful. My wife made two new things that were excellent: 1) fresh cranberries and a whole orange (including peel, excluding seeds) ground in the food processor, lightly sweetened and left over night. 2) dried figs, apricots and prunes stewed in Madiera and apple juice with a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Glad to hear that your meal went beautifully.

jimg
TampaEric
Posted 2007-11-23 3:17 PM (#99791 - in reply to #99706)

My pumpkim pie turned out terrible. I didn't cook it long enough and no on ate it.
The good news is..My wife's upside down pumpkim cake thing with white icing was really good. Everyone was asking for reciepes and we didn't bring any home because everyone ate it.

Moral of story. I need to stay out of the kitchen.

When my sister left we turned the TV off and we sang songs..

My cousins, my mom and her boyfriend played piano and guitar and sang songs for about an hour. It was really nice...My wife and I aren't really singers, but we sung along with them.

Side note: I took a power yoga class today and it was really nice. I did my ashtanga in the morning and came back for a noon class. she really gave me a nice squash in pachimottansana. I do miss getting adjustments will all my self practices.

Posted 2007-11-23 5:35 PM (#99795 - in reply to #99791)

My pumpkin pie sucked as well--crazy tough skin on top. Threw it away and went and bought a big ole cherry one.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)