YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Foam Roller/Hips
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

susbarb1
Posted 2007-11-24 8:09 AM (#99809)
Subject: Foam Roller/Hips

Has anyone used a foam roller to massage to open up muscles and break up trigger points? Painful but so worth it.

I have found that using it for my hips (periformis, IT Band, glutes,abb/adductors, hamstrings, all lateral planes of the thigh)has incresed my hip mobility and lessened daily discomfort.

It is quite similar to the Active Release Technique my chiropractor uses to open encapulated joints.

There is a athletic trainer (Mark Verstegen) on cable who has a few great training videos.  His foam roller tecniques have really helped my yoga practice.

In Rahini,

Susan

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-11-24 10:09 AM (#99811 - in reply to #99809)
Subject: RE: Foam Roller/Hips

Expert Yogi

Tennis ball It can work miracles!

Posted 2007-11-24 10:53 AM (#99820 - in reply to #99809)

one of the local studios does this in their yin class with foam rollers and tennis balls. it's quite interesting.

i found it really difficult to figure out how to use them properly, to do the movements. but, it was fun.

when i was asked to teach yin, i was so nervous that it included this foam roller work, that i asked about 1/2 dozen times to make sure that it didn't! LOL

but, it is fun.

i have a massive trigger point right at my sacrum. it's wild. it's why i get so much massage.
susbarb1
Posted 2007-11-24 12:01 PM (#99822 - in reply to #99809)

Yes, the FR  is very awkward at first. I have found that it definitely takes practice.

My foam roller came with an instructional DVD. I found it to be a big help. I bought it a ****'S. The hardest body part for me to learn is the inner thigh.

Also, there is a fitness segment on cable specific for Hip/Knee. That is how I got hooked on it.

The FM is excellent for trigger points, knots, tightness. The more it hurts, the more you need it. I believe that tennis balls are better for trigger points. The FR actually "rolls" over the entire width of the fascia on my TFL.

Off to use my FR then my Bryan Kest DVD."Is everyone breathing freely?"

Much Metta

Susan

Posted 2007-11-25 9:46 AM (#99832 - in reply to #99809)

i might have to check that out.
susbarb1
Posted 2007-11-25 10:20 AM (#99833 - in reply to #99809)

Definitely.

The video is key or if you can find an instructional program on Lifeschool or Sportskool.(cable) I get them both free on demand with my cable subscription.

Try the CORE performance foam roller. Some of them are too soft.

Much Mettea,

Susan

Posted 2007-11-25 10:57 AM (#99836 - in reply to #99833)

thanks for the rec.

i don't have cable, so i won't be able to watch a show, but it might be neat to check that out.

also cool, if i figure out how to do it, i can ask the Y for equipment, and this might be a good addition to my therapeutic yoga class.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-25 11:52 AM (#99840 - in reply to #99809)

Dear Susan: If you are open, please answer my three questions:

1. Why do you say 'pain but worth it'?

2. Does 1 mean that one or you is ready to do any other things which might be 'pain but worth it' type?

3. You mentioned someone on the TV who used such things. Do you know how long that person actually did use the product?

namaste

susbarb1 - 2007-11-24 8:09 AM

Has anyone used a foam roller to massage to open up muscles and break up trigger points? Painful but so worth it.

I have found that using it for my hips (periformis, IT Band, glutes,abb/adductors, hamstrings, all lateral planes of the thigh)has incresed my hip mobility and lessened daily discomfort.

It is quite similar to the Active Release Technique my chiropractor uses to open encapulated joints.

There is a athletic trainer (Mark Verstegen) on cable who has a few great training videos.  His foam roller tecniques have really helped my yoga practice.

In Rahini,

Susan

Posted 2007-11-25 12:00 PM (#99842 - in reply to #99840)

i use terms like 'discomfort' and my yoga practice is uncomfortable, my massage (i dream of rolfing!) practice is uncomfortable, and when i did the foam rollers (and when i use tennis balls) it is often not at all comfortable.

but, after, i feel much better.

sometimes, my chiropractor is scary too. but, that's just nerves.

Posted 2007-11-25 2:05 PM (#99843 - in reply to #99840)

kulkarnn - 2007-11-25 8:52 AM

3. You mentioned someone on the TV who used such things. Do you know how long that person actually did use the product?
susbarb1 - 2007-11-24 8:09 AM

She referenced Mark Verstegen. He has a reputation for core work and work with professional athletes. I believe he has a very large operation in Tempe, AZ (athletes performance) where he trains top athletes.

While I have not read his work, and have no real interest in it, I do know several trainers and it seems the better ones aren't all that keen on Mark and his stuff. Several athletes, of late, have been repetitively injured appplying their training techniques.

But to each their own.
The work of breaking up muscle adhesions can be accomplished with cross-fiber contact on the muscle belly. In yoga we do that with rods rather than with foam. But I suppose foam would work well as long as the user isn't destabilizing those muscles which serve AS stabilizers in the body, like the iliotibial band, for example.
susbarb1
Posted 2007-11-25 5:45 PM (#99848 - in reply to #99809)

The work of breaking up muscle adhesions can be accomplished with cross-fiber contact on the muscle belly. In yoga we do that with rods rather than with foam. But I suppose foam would work well as long as "the user isn't destabilizing those muscles which serve AS stabilizers in the body, like the iliotibial band, for example."

Will you please expand? I am curious. I like to learn as much as possible. How would I be "destabilizing" the IT band using the foam roller?

THANKS

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-25 11:29 PM (#99853 - in reply to #99809)

Thanks for the Purna's answer. I shall still wait on any answer from Susan. And, considering Purna's input, I add one more question for Susan:

4. How long have you used the Roller mentioned in a regular fashion?
susbarb1
Posted 2007-12-02 11:43 PM (#100238 - in reply to #99809)

As far as Mark Verstegen's credentials and reputation they are both sterling. He is one of the top athletic trainers in the country.

That is the last comment on Mark that I will make. Anyone interested in his training techniques can google Core Performance and decide for themselves. 

I have been using the foam roller for a few weeks now. Breaking up scar tissue, chronically contracted muscle and fascia is no picnic. It does require some tolerance. But the rule is that the more tender and uncomforatble the tissue is, the more work it needs. I have found that to be my personal experience and stay on my "hot spots" until the pain dissapates by at least 50%.

This is not like Active Release Technique where you get results almost immediately. (Personal experience here too) This takes time amd dedication. But the pay off is a  better functioning body and less day to day muscle restriction and pain. You also get an intimate knowledge of where your body needs work. Sometimes it is the opposite muscle group.

I follow Mark's strength training program and his core program.

I do pre-hab with the roller first.

I am still in my 500 hour yoga teacher training and love Bryan Kest's Power Yoga routine.It gives me my cardio. My weight training has helped immensely with my yoga.I love his narration reminding me that the breath is what it is all about.

My meditation  practice is always right before bed and includes tibetan exercises in the Bon tradition.

I like to do Yoga Nidra about twice a week too. Problem is, I always fall asleep.

Hope I helped.

"Are we all breathing freely?" Bryan Kest

Susan

Rahini Yoga Student

Nick
Posted 2007-12-03 2:23 AM (#100240 - in reply to #100238)

The ITB is not a muscle

Nick
susbarb1
Posted 2007-12-04 9:37 PM (#100360 - in reply to #100240)

I am aware of that.

I was not aware that I called it a muscle.

In Rahini,

Susan

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)