YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

torn calf muscle
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

deanodog
Posted 2007-11-26 10:05 AM (#99860)
Subject: torn calf muscle

Hi there looking for urgent any advice/help

I had a bad tear of my calf at the beginning of October playing soccer. I spent most of october on crutches and have been receiving physio 2 times a week since (ultrasounds and frictions at first and gym work more latterly).
I am now back on my feet and able to excercise (using bikes, steppers, rowing etc). I still have a slight limp when walking caused by tighness and weekness around the heel area and am still unable to raise the heel of my bad leg off the floor without using my arms to talke most of the weight. In addition I still havent been able to resume running.

I am 29 years old and in excellent physical shape. My main concern is that I have a beach sports tournament in Brazil starting 10th December and praying I will be fit for this. Can anyone offer any advice on ways to speed things up or liklihood of timescales?

Many thanks

Dean

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-11-26 12:17 PM (#99865 - in reply to #99860)
Subject: RE: torn calf muscle

There really isn't such a concept as speeding things up or superimposing one timeline. Each body takes its own time in the healing process.

On the first front, however, there are some things one can do to optimize healing. The first is nutrition: Hydration, oxygenation, and alkalinity. Make sure to consume water with something in it (lemon juice) so it can fully hydrate the cells. In addition, increase your consumption of deep green leafy vegetables. And watch the foods you eat that become acidic in the body once consumed. There are lists on the Web for the latter. Avoid refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.

The second is lifestyle. Rest, rest, rest. That includes proper sleep times (typically around 9pm) as well as periods of rest during the day in the form of a few minutes of quiet, laying on the floor and relaxing the physical body. Healing only takes place when the nervous system is parasympathetic. That means "calm".

The third is therapeutic. To loosen and penetrate the muscle rub untoasted, organic sesame seed oil on the affected area twice per day (morning and night). The rub should be for at least five minutes. Ten minutes is better. Then hydrotherapy in the shower. Alternate very hot then very cold water on the affected area. Take as much temperature as you can tollerate but only for 30 seconds befor switching. Do 6-8 repetitions.

These are the very basic suggestions I can provide. The rest are within the context of yoga therapy and are best shared with my students in a one-to-one environment.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-26 3:33 PM (#99871 - in reply to #99860)
Subject: RE: torn calf muscle

I think you should give up the idea of competition and enjoy some other things instead, even if it is some other form of competition. And, continue your exercise in a fashion not harmful to you.

Also, you can still go for competition and cheer up other competitiors.

deanodog - 2007-11-26 10:05 AM

Hi there looking for urgent any advice/help

I had a bad tear of my calf at the beginning of October playing soccer. I spent most of october on crutches and have been receiving physio 2 times a week since (ultrasounds and frictions at first and gym work more latterly).
I am now back on my feet and able to excercise (using bikes, steppers, rowing etc). I still have a slight limp when walking caused by tighness and weekness around the heel area and am still unable to raise the heel of my bad leg off the floor without using my arms to talke most of the weight. In addition I still havent been able to resume running.

I am 29 years old and in excellent physical shape. My main concern is that I have a beach sports tournament in Brazil starting 10th December and praying I will be fit for this. Can anyone offer any advice on ways to speed things up or liklihood of timescales?

Many thanks

Dean

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)