YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The average everything
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-11-26 3:38 PM (#99872)
Subject: The average everything

Dear all

I just had a spur-of-the-moment idea... We're forever exchanging information about yoga but we only know so little about each other! I'd be interested in finding out a bit more on your yoga background, therefore I've got a few questions below which I'd really appreciate if some of yous could answer. Here goes ~

- What's your age?
- When did you start practising yoga (Ashtanga in particular), ie how long have you been practising?
- Which Series are you working on at the moment?
- Did you decide at some point to give up meat etc in favour of a vegetarian diet?

I don't know why exactly I'm wanting to know all the details but for some strange reason, I'm writing this post!!

Thanks a million in advance for sharing.

Om Shanti

Aotearoa

Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-11-26 8:15 PM (#99875 - in reply to #99872)
Subject: RE: The average everything

- What's your age?
- When did you start practising yoga (Ashtanga in particular), ie how long have you been practising?
4-5 years
the first two. practice goes up and down I try not to get too wrapped up in it. I can do a lot postures in all the series, but I just do the first two as my own practice.

- Did you decide at some point to give up meat etc in favour of a vegetarian diet?
yes, i've gone back and forth. practice is easier without meat, but life is a little harder in general. (less energy)
iandicker
Posted 2007-11-27 5:58 AM (#99879 - in reply to #99872)

Age 45 and 3/4
Practicing yoga for 3-ish years, ashtanga for 1 year
working on primary series
still eating meat

Ian
Aotearoa
Posted 2007-11-27 9:55 AM (#99889 - in reply to #99872)

Just realised I never answered my own questions, what a cheeky monkey I am!

- I am 28 years of age (female, btw)
- Practising for a good year and a half now; I've had plenty of breaks due to injuries and heaps of travelling which means that every once in a while, I start from scratch...
- Working on the Primary Series (and struggling, people!)
- I was a vegetarian long before I took up yoga but the practice and other factors have definitely re-confirmed my decision

I have a hunch that most practitioners of yoga who really stick with it started at a more "settled" age. Could it be that most twentysomethings become slacker faster than people who discover the benefits of yoga a little later? Just wondering...

Thanks for your feedback, everybody. I find it really interesting to learn all this about you expert yogis and yoginis.

Namaste

Aotearoa

lewellen17
Posted 2008-02-24 10:31 PM (#103958 - in reply to #99872)

I know you posted this ages ago, but here I am (my internet was disrupted for while during a move)

- What's your age?

First yoga class was about 10 years ago (I was dragged along by a friend who was worried about my depression), but practice was very erratic for a while - got a PhD, moved country, had 3 children. My current traditional ashtanga practice is just over 2 years old

Primary - plenty of work there!

I have been vegetarian far longer than I have been a yogini - stopped eating meat 23 years ago

Are you not in NZ any more? Weren't you originally a fellow Oceanian?

And where have al the ashtangis gone? There seems to be a dearth of us here!

lisa
Aotearoa
Posted 2008-04-16 8:24 AM (#106314 - in reply to #103958)

G'day Lisa

I just realised I haven't checked this forum since I've returned back home to Germany... Need to change that...

I miss the New World after working and travelling NZ. I miss it loads but am back here in Europe now struggling with everything. Can't wait to get back in shape after a half-year abstinence.

Hope all is well in Oz. Happy twisting!

Om Shanti

Jessica (Aotearoa)
yoga-addict
Posted 2008-04-16 12:32 PM (#106328 - in reply to #99872)

Veteran

- What's your age? 38
- When did you start practising yoga (Ashtanga in particular), ie how long have you been practising? 3 years ago, 1st year only once a week, now at least 3-4 times a week
- Which Series are you working on at the moment? Primary and Bikram's
- Did you decide at some point to give up meat etc in favour of a vegetarian diet? I was already a vegetarian since I was 17.

I wish I had gotten into yoga much earlier, but didn't really understand what it was all about (not that I am such an expert now either) and went for more sporty sports like running and swimming.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)