YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hello and my First question :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

CJJ
Posted 2007-11-27 8:34 PM (#99933)
Subject: Hello and my First question :)

Wanted to start off by saying hello my names Chris im 23 from rochester area ny nice to be here and the password i got was kinda funny but anyway .

Wanted to start off by saying im a mixed martial artist of about 3 months now ( Muay Thai Sambo Judo Boxing and brazilian Jiu Jitsu ) Coming into this I was a bit of a "body builder" not anything like competing but my training was purely size related strength wasnt even a fart in the wind to me. Im starting to get a bit stronger and losing muscle mass which is fine because im 5`6 176 lbs with a body fat between 11 and 14%. I intend to be down to a healthier weight for me of around 155-160 lbs and compete in the area of 145-155 .

So your probably a bit curious as to why im here heheh. Well I figure I need strength and flexibility so my first choice was gymnastics since thats similar to what Russian Sambo guys do then thought to myself hey uhh i cant afford that and my rooms too small for that kinda thing. So naturally or... just oddly enough yoga popped into my mind. Thought to myself im sure there is some way to get the type of strength i need from yoga and it sure as heck will help with the flexibility.

After my epiphany i hopped on my trust emachine desktop and thought to myself ok where do I go to get information on yoga...... well G yoga.com sounds good.

After a short registration process here i stand before you (well sorta) a young willing mind

So im just hoping to get some information on which types of yoga would be good for strength and which for flexibility hopefully a hybrid but uhh constant strength and particularly leg dexterity are goals.

Now im sure some of you are thinkin hey uhh it all depends on where you go how they teach there class no one teaches the same. But I have an answer for you ;) Ima do it at home as part of my at home workout maybe even an entirely new part of the day dedicated to yoga. Infact this could replace my morning jog since its winter . Dont be offended that I didnt go wikipedia all the different types of yoga instead you should say to yourself..... Ya know this guy could of went and googled the heck out of yoga but instead he chose me he put his faith in the experts at yoga.com

Obviously free information and stuff is the best but I could spring for instructional DvD's
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogachela
Posted 2007-11-27 9:02 PM (#99935 - in reply to #99933)
Subject: RE: Hello and my First question :)

Power and Ashtanga yoga can be VERY athletic, and absolutely work the legs(and everything else) like crazy. Although i wouldnt suggest jumping in without some basic knowledge of how yoga works and correct allignment.
I too was a "Do it at home" kinda guy for a long time, but after a few years of drawing from my somewhat limited asana cannon, it was natural for me to gravitate towards a studio. Which marked the "True" beginning of my yoga practice.
Ask yourself why you want to do it at home....is it fear? Is it a shyness of sharing your vulnerabilities in front of people?
Whatever the case may be, im willing to bet that over time, if yoga sticks, then you will find yourself at a studio.
I would be willing to bet that most people on this forum would strongly suggest that you learn from a teacher, and i would as well. But ONLY when you are ready. There are MANY good reference guides out there for the home practitioner, and there are many sub-par references as well.
"Yoga:Mastering the Basics" is a good place to start, as well as some of the BKS Iyengar beginners manuals you may also find helpfull.
And above all else, go easy on yourself. As im sure you are aware of, nothing will come overnight. Hell, some of the poses may elude you for years. Every body is magnificently different, and we all have our own pace, style, and energetic quality to our practice that fit's with our body type, but the one thing we ALL must have is patience, fire, will, and humour. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels.

So all in all, my advice would be to seek, ask around, and really consider going to a class or even finding a good and affordable private teacher. Do you have a library nearby in which you could borrow a beginner yoga DVD?

And that being said, i also am an advocate of the home practice. Teachers can be a wonderful beacon of light, but the truest teacher is yourself. We're just here to offer a bit of direction and support.
Good luck, but most of all HAVE FUN!

N
CJJ
Posted 2007-11-27 9:04 PM (#99936 - in reply to #99933)
Subject: RE: Hello and my First questio

I called FYE after finding a list on some other site and these ones they have i could buy

David Swenson ashtanga Yoga The first series

David Swenson Ashtanga Yoga the Practice

Yoga Pilates Total Body Conditioning

Denise Austin Power Yoga

Denise Austin Power Yoga 3

Pilates For Dummies Workout

Baron Baptiste Power yoga Journey Into Power

Bryan kest Power Yoga

POWER YOGA TOTAL BODY

Yoga Zone Power Yoga for Strength and Endurance

Yoga Zone Introduction To Power Yoga

yoga ashtanga the primary series by john scott

Could i get the pros of the ones you like and the cons of the ones to stay away from ?
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-28 7:12 AM (#99951 - in reply to #99933)

Hello Chris from Rochester, Hope you enjoy your yoga. I think Denise Austin might be too perky for a martial artist.

Posted 2007-11-28 10:45 AM (#99966 - in reply to #99933)

Buy these two.

David Swenson ashtanga Yoga The first series

Baron Baptiste Power yoga Journey Into Power
CJJ
Posted 2007-11-28 1:48 PM (#99986 - in reply to #99933)

Thanks ill go grab those two ya suggest i get paid friday. Sorry about the..... i dunno upbeatness of my initial post combination of hydroxycut hardcore and getting more leg dexterity got me a bit hyper. But do you guys know any good resources on improving leg dexterity I know it will come with yoga but leg/knee flexibility is VERY important to my Jiu Jitsu especially my particular style which is called "Rubber Guard" so I can imagine you get a bit of an idea. Im not looking to replace the yoga im still pretty determined to at very least try that for my morning workout but I need to get in the habit of stretching acouple times a day as well.

Edited by CJJ 2007-11-28 1:51 PM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-29 6:36 AM (#100036 - in reply to #99933)

Hydroxycut? No, Chris don't go there, just look at what it did to poor Britney.
CJJ
Posted 2007-11-29 12:19 PM (#100057 - in reply to #99933)

Hmmm ive been using weight loss stuff twice a year for 2 months for like 5 years. Difference between me and her is i dont mix it with cocaine. But that aside anyone got good list of stretches or something for leg dexterity?

Posted 2007-11-29 2:39 PM (#100069 - in reply to #99933)

Please define "leg dexterity".

CJJ
Posted 2007-11-30 3:56 AM (#100102 - in reply to #99933)

Well the more I can use my legs like i can use my arms the better i dont wanna be able to pick a lock with my feet but much more range of motion and control.

Heres are some videos of what im getting into. And what im looking for asfar as flexibility etc...

Best one from Eddie Bravo Seminar if ya watch one watch this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktcKhtMQ88

Bj Penn Mixed Martial Artist and Jiu Jitsu Champ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5Wx5Ki9Xw

Eddie Bravo Jiu Jitsu Expert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2VXWRHiTQ

Rubber Guard Highlight some kids garage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v64pemZolx4

Rubber Guard Work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14_qkxUoigs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]