YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help! My sacro-iliac joint...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-11-28 11:33 PM (#100027)
Subject: Help! My sacro-iliac joint...

....is a-killin' me!! My chiropractor confirmed the location of the pain- so it's not sciatica or piriformis. It's been bothering me for a couple of weeks now. But tonight is the first time I've done yoga since I got really sick. I've been learning to keep the asthma under control- so I was afraid to get into any really deep breathing and/or incense, etc.
So, I went to class- the teacher is a friend of mine, so she was watching me closely. I did all the sun salutations against a wall- so nothing on the floor. I felt like I was taking it easy- I was trying to be careful of the butt region as a whole.
Now that I am home, I can barely move the area! To the point I'm feeling a little weepy (enter hormone-induced tears).... do I ice it? Put heat on it?? What?? A hot bath is out- warm ones just don't cut it- and hot ones are not allowed.
I ended up with a da*# asthma attack on top of everything. I just want to crawl in a hole right now. I was so excited to get a little yoga in, and now I'm paying for it. HELP!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-11-29 12:12 AM (#100028 - in reply to #100027)
Subject: RE: Help! My sacro-iliac joint

Expert Yogi

Welcome to motherhood Sorry to hear you are in pain, my dear. Yes, ice it. Then heat it, then ice again. Several cycles of about 5 minutes each. Normally the first suggestion is to lie on your back with your lower legs fully supported on a chair so that your back can spread out on the floor, but you may not be lying on your back anymore and it may not be great for the asthma. If you were here I would get out the ropes, bolsters and chairs and figure something out.... OK, can you sit cross legged? If you can, sit on a stack of blankets as high as you need to be comfy, cross your legs deeply (get feet under knees if possible) then hinge forward at the hips an inch at a time. Keep the sitting bones pressing down into the blankets so that your low back lengthens. See how that feels...
joscmt
Posted 2007-11-29 1:57 AM (#100030 - in reply to #100027)

Thanks, Glenda- I'll give that a try. I, too, wish I were there to take advantage of your props and expertise!!

I think I'm also at that stage where the pubic symphysis is beginning to widen- so I have some lovely pain right where it counts... as I'm sure all you Moms know about as well!!

Edited by joscmt 2007-11-29 1:59 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2007-11-29 6:30 AM (#100035 - in reply to #100030)

Personally, I was prepared to offer bearing children for my osteopath after the first time he put my SI joint back together.

Fee
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-11-29 6:49 AM (#100038 - in reply to #100027)
Subject: RE: Help! My sacro-iliac joint...

Poor Marylisa, you're in the time warp, you just have to wait and suffer. The good news is your almost to the end, the bad news is time is going to pass slower than you ever thought possible. You just have to give yourself over to it. When you feel like mopping floors, that's like the light at the end of the tunnel.
tourist
Posted 2007-11-29 10:01 AM (#100047 - in reply to #100038)

Expert Yogi

Any better today, ml? Part of the problem is that the joints loosen up during pregnancy, so everything can go "out" more easily. You probably need to forgo sun salutations of any kind now. Lots of upavista konasana, baddha konasana, supta baddha, the big, wide legged squat with your back at the wall etc. Really concentrate on keeping the sit bones down and the buttocks moving toward the floor. You need to counteract the body wanting to tip the pelvis forward due to gravity on the belly.

Maybe others have differing ideas, but I have had good results with the heat/cold cycles when I have had the patience to do them and I can't think of any contraindications as long as you are careful. And Gordon's sesame oil massage is quite nice, too. I don't know if he recommends that at the end of the cold or the heat cycle, but he did talk about it recently here, I think....?

Oh - one more thought. I had a co-worker who had great relief for her back in warrior 3, of all things. We propped her arms and her back leg and maybe even her head. It took pressure off the sore spot and enabled her to align her hips. She was pretty big at about 8 1/2 months so it was amusing to see. Wish I had a photo now!

Posted 2007-11-29 2:37 PM (#100068 - in reply to #100027)

Just popping in ML.

What I would recommend, considering you are pregnant, pretty far along, and cannot do what I'd normally have done for SI adjustment/stability is the following.

Take a thin sticky mat and roll it up very tightly.
Squat slightly (flex the knees) and place the rolled mat against the wall vertically and your spine against the mat. The mat holds to the wall. The spine holds to the mat.
Then, as you exhale press the heels into the earth and traction your spine against the roll.

If you are well into your third trimester then you can also hang from a bar (like a chin up bar) but the feet must stay on the floor and the knees must be in a flexed position. I suspect this will be problematic for you as very few have the props for such a thing. But if you have the props for it you will get some relief.

These are not cures. Just for relief, please.
tourist
Posted 2007-11-29 6:47 PM (#100077 - in reply to #100068)

Expert Yogi

Oh - I like the sound of that purna! I will try it with my class tonight. We do use the tennis ball that way, but the length of the mat would feel great, I'm sure.
joscmt
Posted 2007-11-29 11:26 PM (#100098 - in reply to #100027)

I like the way that sounds too!! I'm going to give it all a try- maybe not warrior III- because I don't have you cool Iyengar-is to prop me to high heaven. Today was a little better.... but it did hurt to lift my left leg while walking- I just wanted to drag that foot behind me. I did email my chiropractor and we're going to work on it a bit more next week.
I like the idea of the mat down the wall/spine though....

I guess I should be grateful that I made it almost to 35 weeks before all this started. I know some people who start getting these pains much, much earlier.... I'm really digging for the bright side....

I have to say that the hormone thing is no lie- I've been a big, huge, fiery, sad, ball of emotion lately and it all changes at the drop of a hat! The nesting instinct is wild too... I'm having some issues with a house guest (who couldn't be nicer- and more of a dear friend).. BUT, I'm at that stage where I don't want anyone in our house but us and I don't want to be touched by anyone other than my husband and immediate family (and this guest is a bit of a touchy feely person).. oh well, I'll just smile and suck it up for a few more days....
tourist
Posted 2007-11-30 10:00 AM (#100119 - in reply to #100098)

Expert Yogi

Not hormones - it is that little alien creature controlling your body! I can't remember - did you say you are having a girl? I felt a lot more hormone-y with DD. It just seemed like a double whammy of estrogen/feminine energy or whatever. With DS it was just about eating pretty much all the time.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-01 7:18 AM (#100168 - in reply to #100027)

Haha, I had girls and I ate like a crazy woman. I gained 80lbs. the first time. After I lost all the weight and thought I was looking good I found out I was pregnant again. Then I gained 80lbs again. I thought I learned but no.
tourist
Posted 2007-12-01 9:49 AM (#100170 - in reply to #100168)

Expert Yogi

My son was the worst for weight. 60 plus pounds. People thought I was having twins! At a little over 10 pounds, he could have easily been twins and they do run in my family...
joscmt
Posted 2007-12-02 10:53 AM (#100203 - in reply to #100027)

I am having a girl... and the emotions are running wild!!! I either want to kill everyone around me, or I want to cry in a puddle of tears all day.
I'm having this weird thing going on that I'm guessing is related to the nesting phenomenon- I am feeling very protective and proprietary of my home and personal space. And I'm also having a real problem with men who are not my husband, my dad or my brothers touching me. Women outside my family I'm ok with- but only ones I am close to.
I have this houseguest right now who is very touchy-feely and it's making my skin crawl. I just keep dodging it- he's a dear friend of ours- but not dear enough to be touching me at all right now.
I'm also a bit frustrated because initially we were told he was in town for a "couple of days".. that has turned into a week... and may be stretching until the 10th or beyond. I told my husband to deal with it. I just don't want people in my house right now who aren't family. I want my private space- I want to be able to rip off my godforsaken bra at the front door after work without worrying about whether or not my shirt is appropriate. AND, this guest has a 200lb mastiff... it's a lot of dog in addition to my two....
He says he has nowhere else to go and typically, this would not bother me.. but am I crazy to think this is a huge imposition saying you are staying for 2-3 days and then staying for 2 1/2 weeks- ESPECIALLY now that I am 35 weeks, swelling like a balloon, still having to work, and having some joint pain... AND with that huge a$$ dog?!?! redrum...redrum....
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-02 11:49 AM (#100208 - in reply to #100027)

Expert Yogi

Sorry Marylisa,

I should of brought you back home with me to the peaceful mountains.

i have an idea...go light one of those beeswax candles I gave you, in a closet...in the baby's room...do some deep breathing meditation....and try to relax.....and BREATHE, BREATHE, BREATHE.......whenever it gets bad....just go back to that place as often as you like...and don't forget to LOCK the door!!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-02 1:20 PM (#100215 - in reply to #100027)

Whew, that's a tough spot to be in. Remember the fable about the farmer who complained his house felt small and was instructed to bring in all the animals? When he let them back out again, his place felt huge.
tourist
Posted 2007-12-02 10:07 PM (#100237 - in reply to #100215)

Expert Yogi

You do have carte blanche to be crabby and unreasonable right now. You might just have to be really frank with him and tell him that even though it sounds weird and ridiculous, you are going temporarily crazy and you need a TON of personal space. Tell him you don't want to freak him out one day by turning into a screaming maniac for touching you or even coming too close. That might do it. As far as the dog goes....yikes!
joscmt
Posted 2007-12-03 10:33 AM (#100253 - in reply to #100027)

well, I did it. I have the "talk". I saw an "in" so I took it. I just acted surprised when he said that he would be here through the weekend. He asked if that was alright- I just told him that this is a weird time for me. I'm having a hard time with personal space..and that, by no means, is this a reflection on him. So, today, he's going to call around and see if he can't find somewhere else to stay.

I was thinking that my dog might be acting like a butthead with his dog because of me. Comet has been "at my hip" for a couple of months now. I know he knows something is up... so I was wondering if he just wasn't being protective of me. Hmm.....
tourist
Posted 2007-12-03 10:41 AM (#100255 - in reply to #100253)

Expert Yogi

It is a very primal emotional state, isn't it? Really cool to observe in yourself when you have the space to reflect and aren't' totally caught up in it. I felt very connected to women through the ages when I was pregnant.

You really don't want Comet getting territorial and trying to scare the other dog off. It would not go well, I'm sure!
joscmt
Posted 2007-12-04 5:23 PM (#100343 - in reply to #100027)

Yeah! I'm free!! I have my house back!!

Glenda- it is a totally primal experience. Mainly because it is just a force of nature- it's amazing what is going on physiologically! I do feel a lot closer to women right now- which is really strange for me because I have a difficult time relating to women usually. Especially, I'm feeling very close to women who have gone through this before- who are mothers. It is just such a personal experience... feeling the baby move, roll around, get the hiccups... there's already such a strong connection and I haven't even met her face-to-face yet!! It's a magical time, that's for sure!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-04 9:25 PM (#100358 - in reply to #100343)

Expert Yogi

Hey Marylisa,

When both my children were born, it was the most "sacred" time of my life. I really didn't get to savor the moments as much with my son (first born) than I did with my daughter. Mainly because my ex-husband insisted on making my life miserable when my son was born. However, my daughter's Father made me feel like a queen and that made a world of difference. It made my world and environment safe, secure, happy and totally content. I think that is so important when going through the pregnancy process...hell, it should be that way for the rest of your life as your child(ren) grow.

Anyway, I hope you find your peace now. It's really good for the baby's development. My son kicked my bladder so hard and tried to come out feet first, a month early. I was so un-healthy during that time due to my circumstances and it showed when my son was growing up. It was one of those things I had no control over. I was grateful when I brought my daughter into the world...cause' I vowed NEVER again would I bring a child into the world like that. I sooo wished I had yoga back then....BUT, I did have Callenetics when DD came along, and a good husband to fight off all the terrible evils,

I won't have any more children....however, today if I did...it would be soooo perfect....but, then again..hinde sight and experience is such a perfect science.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-12-04 9:28 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)