YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

post arthoscopic debridement?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

vjaquith
Posted 2007-11-30 5:01 PM (#100141)
Subject: post arthoscopic debridement?

Hello all! My name is Valerie and I would like suggestions concerning my recent post arthoscopic knee debridement. I am starting PT on Tuesday with a talented therapist but wouldl like to be doing some gentle yoga pre-rehab asanas to enhance healing. Any and all suggestions welcome. I have 5 years of Iyengar training (recreational) but in all honesty never advanced beyond level 2. I am currently out of all yoga for 1 year. I was doing 1 or 2 classed a week prior to that at level 1 and 2. I have reference books and am doing modified poses to help ease stiffness and general malaise of being 2 weeks out of surgery and just now ready for fomal PT. I did have a reaction to something used during the surgery that set me back 1 week. I am ready to incorporate some gentle yoga for the knee and want to know please any thing to avoid!!!! Also Asana sugestions. I can refer to my books (Yoga the Iynengar Way and Light on Yoga). I hope I have provided enough info? Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-11-30 5:16 PM (#100143 - in reply to #100141)
Subject: RE: post arthoscopic debrideme

Hello Valerie,

"Debridement" is a general term covering a variety of treatments most of which refer to sucking debris from the knee joint. If you could be more specific about the debris and its nature, that would be helpful. I do not however need additional information on athroscopy so you may omit that in any reply you craft.

Please also provide additional background about Valerie the person. How old are you and what is your general level of fitness and activity? When was the surgical procedure (Nov. 15)? What is your current diet like?

In the meantime please, please do not use Light On Yoga as anything more than entertaining reading as it is not at all therapeutically designed.

I look forward to your reply.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-11-30 5:32 PM (#100145 - in reply to #100141)
Subject: RE: post arthoscopic debridement?

Dear V: You wrote: Any and all suggestions welcome.

My suggestion is: Apart from PT which you are asked to do, most likely by your surgeon, and which you are going to do, I suggest NO other thing in terms of exercise, NO Yoga Exercise. Yoga Exercise does NOT heal without rest. Otherwise, you would not have the situation you are in. If you really want to heal, you should rest a lot, and eat the least. If you are above average weight, and loose the weight, that would be fantastic.

And, if you are able to entertain by reading books on Yoga, there are better books than the Yoga Exercise books.

Best Luck

vjaquith - 2007-11-30 5:01 PM

Hello all! My name is Valerie and I would like suggestions concerning my recent post arthoscopic knee debridement. I am starting PT on Tuesday with a talented therapist but wouldl like to be doing some gentle yoga pre-rehab asanas to enhance healing. Any and all suggestions welcome. I have 5 years of Iyengar training (recreational) but in all honesty never advanced beyond level 2. I am currently out of all yoga for 1 year. I was doing 1 or 2 classed a week prior to that at level 1 and 2. I have reference books and am doing modified poses to help ease stiffness and general malaise of being 2 weeks out of surgery and just now ready for fomal PT. I did have a reaction to something used during the surgery that set me back 1 week. I am ready to incorporate some gentle yoga for the knee and want to know please any thing to avoid!!!! Also Asana sugestions. I can refer to my books (Yoga the Iynengar Way and Light on Yoga). I hope I have provided enough info? Thanks!

vjaquith
Posted 2007-11-30 5:59 PM (#100148 - in reply to #100143)

Please also provide additional background about Valerie the person. How old are you and what is your general level of fitness and activity? When was the surgical procedure (Nov. 15)? What is your current diet like?

In the meantime please, please do not use Light On Yoga as anything more than entertaining reading as it is not at all therapeutically designed.

Debris was sucked out, feathering of the cartilage smoothed and the joint flushed. The surgery went as planned. Both knees make terrible grinding noises the knee I had worked on the right one, was the worst. The left knee is without an ACL since 1992. I am 43, in fair health 125pounds, 5'5", no med, no medical known medical conditions. I get bilateral knee pain after hiking, skiing or running downhill.

More about knee and lower leg. Right knee pain turned out not be the knee at all, was then wrongly diagnosed as runners knee and now I am pretty sure it is the tibiofibular joint (self diagnosis) One year ago stopped running, yoga and skiing downhill telemark, cross country and skate as all resulted in a flare up of the pain in my tibiofibular joint. Now in horrible shape and trashing my knees everytime I go an try to do anything even hike on flat ground. Debridment was to clean out and smooth the tissue to eliminate the noise and grinding. "All else looked good in the joint" said surgeon.

Did I mention I pronate weird on right leg (just got custom foot beds)? Have had episodes where my mid to low back siezes up and is very debilitatley. Looking forward to PT to address alignment issues and look forward to getting back into yoga and everything else!

Thanks
tourist
Posted 2007-11-30 6:52 PM (#100151 - in reply to #100148)

Expert Yogi

valerie - the only thing I can suggest with certainty is lying with legs up the wall. My teacher did this a lot while recovering from her knee surgery. If you have a senior Iyengar teacher available, see if you can get going to that person once the PT says it is ok. There is a lot of great stuff for knees, but not every teacher has the knowledge and experience to show it to you. Good luck!
vjaquith
Posted 2007-11-30 9:02 PM (#100155 - in reply to #100151)

tourist - 2007-11-30 6:52 PM

valerie - the only thing I can suggest with certainty is lying with legs up the wall. My teacher did this a lot while recovering from her knee surgery. If you have a senior Iyengar teacher available, see if you can get going to that person once the PT says it is ok. There is a lot of great stuff for knees, but not every teacher has the knowledge and experience to show it to you. Good luck!

I thought so and have but not enough I see! Great advice - thank you!!!!!!!!!! Up the wall goes my legs!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)