YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Privates & Personal Safety
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sramani
Posted 2007-12-04 11:26 PM (#100369)
Subject: Privates & Personal Safety

Hi everyone, I just joined this group and wanted to say hi first and foremost!

I'm still a fairly new teacher and just started putting myself out there for privates, mainly at some hotels in NYC.  I feel a little wierd going into a stranger's room/home/apartment alone, and would like to get some personal safety tips?

Also - for hotel privates, since these clients are most likely a one-time visit, how do you handle waivers and such?

Thanks for your advice!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-05 2:43 AM (#100373 - in reply to #100369)
Subject: RE: Privates & Personal Safety

Sramani,

Welcome. I hope it's all you hope for here and then some.

You raise mindful questions. If you are working in hotels I would recommend having a discussion with the head of hotel security (at least) if not the hotel manager. They will be able to provide you with some basic safety information specific to their property and hotel work in general AND should gladly respond to any risk-management (injury waiver) issues you broach.

I would, if it were me, print out my own 5 x 7 index cards with a waiver segment on the back and student info on the front. If the student lists medical information then those documents must be protected by law. You might thus want to consider doing a verbal intake of student well being instead.

If you file a "flight plan" with someone that may provide some protection or ease of mind for you. But I think the sort of thing you are pursuing, especially in New York, comes with some inherent risk unless clients provide references.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-05 7:46 AM (#100382 - in reply to #100369)

Since you asked for advice, I have to give it.

===> Stop this type of private class immediately. Ask the hotel to make one room for you, if possible, next to the reception lobby. And, tell the guests to come to that room for private.

===> Again, wha you are doing is not good, for you and for guests.

Sramani - 2007-12-04 11:26 PM

Hi everyone, I just joined this group and wanted to say hi first and foremost!

I'm still a fairly new teacher and just started putting myself out there for privates, mainly at some hotels in NYC.  I feel a little wierd going into a stranger's room/home/apartment alone, and would like to get some personal safety tips?

Also - for hotel privates, since these clients are most likely a one-time visit, how do you handle waivers and such?

Thanks for your advice!

Posted 2007-12-05 9:51 AM (#100390 - in reply to #100369)

i agree with purna regarding the hotel situation, as well as with Neel. some hotels have rooms available at different days/times in which you can teach yoga. it would be harder to teach in the actual hotel room. with this, all of the issues of security/safety that purna gave is great.

for private lessons in general, i do a meeting-in-a-public-place first. if i'm going to someone's home, i either get them via recommendation (one of my other clients recommends us to each other and therefore i feel "safe" with this person) or through cold calls. any cold call that i get, i meet the person in a public place to talk about methodology, etc, and from there, i can choose whether or not i feel good about moving forward or not.

i also inform them that i reserve the right to leave, without refund, if i feel uncomfortable in their presence or home, even if they've paid for the lesson.

i've never had a problem, though, this is just something i assert for my own sense of security.
Sramani
Posted 2007-12-06 1:16 AM (#100428 - in reply to #100369)

Thanks for your advice! I will look for alternative, more public locations. I asked this because I know a lot of yoga teachers and personal trainers (including my husband) who teach in people's homes and to them it's the most normal thing in the world, but I have concerns about doing that.

I like the index card waiver idea too!

Cheers,

tourist
Posted 2007-12-06 12:24 PM (#100455 - in reply to #100428)

Expert Yogi

Big hotels usually have a gym or workout room. That might be a good spot. Or they may give you space in a conference room or whatever. Be safe. I have big concerns about this, too./
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)