YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Switching studios
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

sark
Posted 2007-12-11 2:32 PM (#100619)
Subject: Switching studios

I have been practicing yoga now for almost a year, and all at the same studio. I like it where I go but want more than a basic class now. They have more advanced classes, but nothing that fits my schedule. Is it common to switch studios or do most of you stay with the same studio all the time?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-11 2:41 PM (#100620 - in reply to #100619)
Subject: RE: Switching studios

I think it is pretty common to go to a class until it doesn't suit you anymore then move onto something else. And if your next class is elsewhere then it is.

Right now there are 2 teachers classes I frequent - they are at different places. And I will go other places when something fits my schedule or the mood strikes me. Some areas people don't have that many options. I'd say if you have options, enjoy and make use of them as you see fit.

Posted 2007-12-11 3:19 PM (#100621 - in reply to #100619)

i switch. a lot.

i go to a bunch of different studios on a fairly regular basis.

honestly, other than Dharma Mittra in NYC, i rarely get a class that is challenging to me. They're all too basic.

but, i go for other reasons, largely because it's fun and i like the people there or i want to support a certain teacher.

Posted 2007-12-11 4:03 PM (#100628 - in reply to #100619)

I echo the gang so far. Additionally, I "steal" from the new teachers I visit and remember things I don't care for so as not to introduce them in my classes. I've quit giving feedback to teachers & studios. In spite of what is said or posted, nobody wants any critiques.
joscmt
Posted 2007-12-11 9:59 PM (#100645 - in reply to #100619)

I'll be switching to a new studio in the new year. I just need something closer to home- AND this other studio has a Mommy & Me class.. which I'd like to try out with the bambino. I will miss my current studio, it just won't fit into my schedule as much. I figure I can drop in for classes from time to time to see my favorite teachers.

Posted 2007-12-12 11:49 PM (#100704 - in reply to #100619)

i agree with bruce, i usually don't give feedback.

Edited by zoebird 2007-12-12 11:56 PM

Posted 2007-12-13 8:21 PM (#100757 - in reply to #100619)

You don't mention whether or not you have a personal practice.

If not - this sounds like a good time to develop one.

If you have a teacher that really works for you - you can ask about private lessons. And then work on developing a personal practice for everyday. Something that fits your time schedule. And the time of day you would prefer to practice - physical issues you might have. And areas you might want to develop.

I try classes everywhere I go. But searching for the right fit and can ultimately just end up being about "searching."

Best wishes.
Vic

Posted 2007-12-14 11:45 AM (#100778 - in reply to #100619)

Sark,

I would avoid, like the d|ckens, doing what is "common" or "normal". We are pulled so powerfully toward conformity. And in this way we rarely have our own thoughts. Most of the thoughts we have are not ours at all.

Ultimately, whether you stay at the studio you are practicing at now or relocate to another, it is only how that serves you, Sark, that is relevant. If your purpose is no longer being served, if you are not being moved toward your reason for being (here), if you are not empowered, if the practice there is not reaching you, then it is either an opening you need to create in yourself there or you need to be somewhere that does meet that criteria.

While I have taken classes at many venues here in Seattle (some 45 different teachers over 4 years) I study with Aadil Palkhivala and consider him "my teacher". Since I have to cross to Bellevue to study, there are times I remain in Seattle simply for timing or traffic reasons. When that occurs (and I am not practicing on my own or teaching) I will study with Theresa Elliott at Taj Yoga. Both teachers speak to my Dharma in different ways but again I consider Aadil "my teacher" and I am not, at this point seeking another guide.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-12-14 12:07 PM

Posted 2007-12-14 12:45 PM (#100780 - in reply to #100619)

sark - 2007-12-11 11:32 AM

I have been practicing yoga now for almost a year, and all at the same studio. I like it where I go but want more than a basic class now. They have more advanced classes, but nothing that fits my schedule. Is it common to switch studios or do most of you stay with the same studio all the time?

There is no "right" or "correct" answer to whether one should switch studios because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I believe that after you learn the basics from a qualified teacher or teachers (this takes maybe four to eight years), you must become your own teacher. I also think that it is important to learn a variety of different yoga styles so that you develop your own yoga. As Krishnamacharya taught, the yoga should fit the student, NOT the student should fit the yoga. Although I do not have or want a regular teacher or guru, I do take classes with others, both where I live and whenever I am in another town, city or country. I take classes with others to broaden my perspective and to experience classes from the student's perspective. This often improves my yoga and/or my teaching or at least reminds me what I don't want to do. Each of us needs to try different things and find out for ourselves what works for us. This can also change with time so it is important to stay flexible and open.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)