YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

here it is ..the untold truth
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

drragsthomas
Posted 2007-12-12 7:31 AM (#100656)
Subject: here it is ..the untold truth

yoga is tiredsome , yoga is abnormal , yoga is taking ourself to somewhere that we wouldnot be in normal defacto situation, so yoga makes us what we really arenot so we loose ourselfs from this world as we start doing yoga , yoga is stretching ourself far too far where we are not supposed to be thats all thank you bye
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-12 7:47 AM (#100658 - in reply to #100656)
Subject: RE: here it is ..the untold truth

drragsthomas is tiresome and abnormal but makes up for it by being such a clear communicator and speller always contibuting important nuggets of information.
joscmt
Posted 2007-12-12 9:59 AM (#100668 - in reply to #100656)
Subject: RE: here it is ..the untold tr

Bruce- I like the rambling sentences... I mean, sentence, myself! Ok, and the work "tiredsome"
tourist
Posted 2007-12-12 10:24 AM (#100671 - in reply to #100656)

Expert Yogi

drragsthomas - 2007-12-12 4:31 AM
yoga is taking ourself to somewhere that we wouldnot be in normal defacto situation,

I think perhaps this is true. The rest is simply not yoga. Sometimes when starting out on a new path (and you will forgive me for suggesting a practice of 3 weeks is still "starting out"...) we get some skewed, uninformed or even just plain wrong ideas about it. For the lurkers out there, we strongly suggest practice and study for at least 3 more weeks, months, years or decades before making such conclusions.
tmarques
Posted 2007-12-12 11:45 PM (#100701 - in reply to #100656)

Is this the person *****ing about his posts being deleted for "no reason"? You know, the "avid" yogin?

Wow.

To be honest, I've been questioning my own attitude towards yoga these past few weeks, which I now realize is a lot more ego-driven than I would like to admit. In fact, I completely quit my practice two weeks ago and earlier today I realized my main concern were the 3 pounds I gained. Still, I'd never, ever diss the philosophy as a whole. The fact that *I* am an idiot doesn't mean others who apparently were in this path fall in the same category,

Good luck to us both, I guess.
drragsthomas
Posted 2007-12-13 4:02 AM (#100710 - in reply to #100656)

doing yoga for 30 minutese or so a day is like taking a sedation for the rest of the day its like alcohol . i accept with Mr .Tourist and i ask arent we supposed to lead a normal day to day life and not take ourself to some extreme strtching daily . my conclusion is yoga seperates from active daily life and makes us some kind of a sage who renounces everything i mean our mentality become like that comments are welcome
tourist
Posted 2007-12-13 10:19 AM (#100722 - in reply to #100710)

Expert Yogi

I think we need to know what type of "yoga" you are practicing. 30 minutes per day of a typical asana, pranayama or meditation practice does not create these effects in most people.

Posted 2007-12-13 10:44 AM (#100725 - in reply to #100656)

my experience of yoga is that i am more calm and focused, more engaged in daily life, more capable of a variety of mental and physical activity throughout the day, more alert, as well as less materialistic/consumerist, less involved in various aspects of "drama" such as interpersonal and work dramas, etc.

i don't know what you're doing, but my two plus hours of yoga doesn't do that at all.

Posted 2007-12-13 11:18 AM (#100728 - in reply to #100656)

As Gary Kraftsow so accurately pointed out at a recent YJ panel, "very few of us in the room are renunciates". Therefore the context in which yoga is practiced, studied, discussed (here in the West) simply doesn't extend to renunciation. Though it is possible and I am fairly certain renunciation has something to to teach us.

Once again it seems relevant to point out that a) yoga is not asana and b) asana is not stretching and certainly it is not over-stretching. It may be conveyed as such by some teachers but a strong case can be made that such a presentation grows from ignorance. Asana is a small part of yoga. Asana is for moving some things while stabilizing others. Asana has many aims of which occupying the mental force and bringing health and vitality to the physical vessel are two.

If the asana practitioner feels so sedate from their practice that they are immobilized for the day, unable to contribute to society, unable to engage their life and the responsibilities they have chosen, then I would venture to say the practice is poorly designed or poorly executed. Yoga is not meant for disengaging the world. However, in a world that is scattered and constantly compelling its members to conform, there should be a different feeling from yoga practice.

We are, quite honestly, addicted to stimuli. Do more. Accomplish more. Be entertained more. Therefore the absence of over stimulation would be out of the ordinary. It is only in this quiet, this stillness, this parasympathetic state, that we are our mindful Self. It is only in the parasympathetic state that the body can heal.

The "normal day to day life" (as we look around the planet) doesn't seem to be working. As long as people are killing their neighbors and doing so in the name of religion, I think I'll pass on "normal day to day" life. I choose a mindful evolution. Not a careless one.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-12-13 11:21 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-13 2:30 PM (#100740 - in reply to #100728)

Expert Yogi

I like this....when I do yoga asana's...I have sooo much more energy...and TIME. When your body is balanced and you've given it a chance to relax and focus, it allows you to extend that into everything you do. It's one of those amazing things that work without much explanation of how and why...it just works. However.....I know how you feel and I've been where you are...probably more so because I chose Bikram and Hot yoga for my very first Yoga Asana practice.

Generally speaking here, If you're feeling like crap and nothing changes, or your life is so over-stressed and strained, from your yoga practice..then my first thoughts are either a) that you aren't practicing yoga and have just done a physical exercise beyond your capabilities or b) you did your yoga asanas, your body is saying WOW, and now your body wants to and needs to rest and that is why you feel tired or drunk or whatever you said. So, sounds to me like your in the very beginning stages of your practice. I wouldn't give up just yet, I would go find a guru to help you resolve your issues. There is no doubt about the fact that "asana's" are the physical aspect of yoga and most of us are not in tuned with our bodies. So, in the beginning, I think its perfectly natural for your body's response to want to rest afterwards. I can't tell you how many times in the beginning of my Bikram practice that I went home and DIED. This went on for the first few months and during the first month that I did a 90-day challenge. That was not a "bad" thing, I worked my body off. I took it to places it had never been before. Today when I do Bikram, I'm ready to party down - for a few days

Perhaps you should set a certain day of the week to dedicate to your yoga asana practice. Just one good day a week for starters. Quality is so much more important than quality. Yes, we do have to manage our "life", its very important. I was fortunate that I could either go home and sleep, or better yet, already be home and sleep and take it easy. For what its worth, today my practice gives me everything I need...everything! It took time, practice and most of all....PATIENCE to work through and adjust. When you're re-aligning the human body system...so many things are going on, most of which we don't even have a friggin' clue about. It's just part of the terrain. Try to relax and go with it. BREATHE. Every day is always different. It's constantly changing, because our bodies are constantly changing and we abuse our bodies in various ways, even when we're not aware of it. Hell, half of us don't even know how to sit or stand properly...and then we wonder how we got so **cked up. Best wishes and Hang in there.

P.S. Yoga is a process. It's also something that needs constant attention and awareness. It's not a quick fix for anything, it is a way of life and has to be "nurtured" constantly. Remember small baby steps is vital to your progress.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-12-13 2:36 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-13 6:27 PM (#100751 - in reply to #100740)

Expert Yogi

I meant to say...QUALITY is much more important than QUANTITY.

Posted 2007-12-13 6:56 PM (#100752 - in reply to #100751)

I dunno kiddo--if somethings REALLY good, I want a lot of it so I'm a quantitative qualitative advocate.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-13 8:12 PM (#100755 - in reply to #100752)

Expert Yogi

Yea, but sometimes we may "THINK" somethings good and then it turns out that it was like totally bad for us. Everything in moderation.

Same thing with a yoga asana practice. Even though its good, we still have to balance our lives and keep our feet on the ground. If we can't function in our daily life, then we need to back out of it just slightly to re-organize. I don't seperate myself from the mat...to me its all one in the same. My life=my mat...my mat=my life. But, in order to achieve that, you have to work with patience, practice, and lots of discipline. No one said the "middle" path was easy. Especially for us Westerner's...cause we like everything to be good and perfect. Because of that reasoning, we tend to overachieve, compete and worse, we have a terrible time with accepting things that are of any discomfort or that would rock our worlds. The world is made up of good and bad, light and dark, yin and yang....yadda yadda. Acceptance and being able to see the true nature of what this actually entails is a lost art, but very critical to how we apply yoga. It looks really easy when you discuss it, but when you actually apply into every thing you do, your life, your finances, the food you eat, the time you spend talking on the phone, anything....it's not that easy to remain balanced. I find that in today's world it is much harder because of all the distractions that we are constantly bombarded with. That is why I live in the hills away from civilization, to breath and feel some space. This is why I also feel that Yoga is an excellent tool to achieve balance. Out of all the things I've done in my life, this is the absolute most important and its the only thing I've done that has truly been significant and authentic. Keeping me alive, having a sense of well-being. If you ask 85% percent of our population if they feel secure and content...with a total sense of well being...they will say absolutely not. If they say yes, they are lying,
Ram
Posted 2007-12-17 5:40 PM (#100876 - in reply to #100656)

LIfe felt really messed up for me before I started meditating and doing yoga. Now with a calmer clearer mind I am enjoying and embracing life more. I agree you can take yoga and become this character who is suddenly averse to the world but it's merely a stage on the path.

Posted 2007-12-17 6:27 PM (#100881 - in reply to #100876)

Yoga practice teaches you to focus and relax. It doesn't matter what you are trying to be or do, attention and calm are necessary. If your body is tense and your mind is not calm, you cannot pay attention or be aware. Attention becomes awareness. Awareness becomes transformation.

To me, the whole point of asana, pranayama and meditation is what they do for your life, not what you experience while doing them. If your practice does not have a positive effect on your life and your relationships, you need to re-evaluate your practice.

Cultivate awareness in your yoga practice and let it permeate your life!

yogachela
Posted 2007-12-18 1:25 AM (#100899 - in reply to #100656)

Very nicely put jimg.
willowsbend
Posted 2007-12-18 8:59 AM (#100901 - in reply to #100656)

I find yoga helps me be more productive.  Like others have said, a calm mind is a productive mind.  If you are not getting fulfillment out of your practice maybe you are not practicing the right yoga for you?   Maybe yoga isn't for everyone.  If it weren't for me I would have figured that out within the first couple of months of practicing, then I would have found something else.  I would never discourage anyone from exploring this avenue though.  You get from it what you put into it.  If you enter it with an open mind and a willingness to learn from not just your instructor but yourself, the rewards are well worth it.  I don't find it tiresome because in each practice I discover something new about myself.  There are days where I feel I didn't have a very good practice, but I still gain something from it.  Whether it's a clearer understanding of what I need to focus on or how to just let it go and look toward the next practice.  Without the calmer mindset that I gained from yoga, I would have given up on those days had it been some other type of exercise or activity. 

ollie
Posted 2007-12-20 11:24 AM (#100985 - in reply to #100656)

If someone doesn't like yoga, they shouldn't do it.

That was easy, wasn't it?
willowsbend
Posted 2007-12-20 9:43 PM (#100996 - in reply to #100656)

I think people forget how easy things can be because they are too occupied trying to convince others how difficult they are ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)