YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New teacher advice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sue
Posted 2007-12-18 3:40 PM (#100918)
Subject: New teacher advice

I've just begun getting my feet wet w/ the whole teaching thing. I'm set to teach about 30 mins. of an hour long class this Friday and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how best to prepare. Is it acceptable to have cheat sheets w/ me? Should I keep them relatively hidden or not? I think I have it down in terms of memorization - I just don't want my nerves to get the best of me (which is totally possible) so I have something to refer to in case I blank during class. Thanks in advance - I've been really enjoying the discussions amongst the teachers here - it's a big help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-18 4:32 PM (#100919 - in reply to #100918)
Subject: RE: New teacher advice

Sue--welcome to the forums. As for your situation, sure there will be nerves and cheat sheets are fine if it'll help you feel more confident. What works for me are those first few minutes--getting the folks to center, relax, focus, breathe--it helps me do so too--then it's an easy, relaxed transition into whatever you need to do. If you TOTALLY freeze up and can't remember what the he11 to do, put 'em in child's pose or something then sneak a peek at your notes. Good luck kiddo--we're rooting for you and know you'll do fine.

Posted 2007-12-18 7:47 PM (#100922 - in reply to #100919)

Practice your 30 minutes by teaching family or friends. If you are an orphan with no friends, teach your cat or an imaginary class. It doesn't matter who you teach, just practice doing it and you will do great!
yogabrian
Posted 2007-12-18 8:31 PM (#100923 - in reply to #100918)

Write down your dialoge. From beginning to end. When finished, write it down again. What style of yoga are you teaching?
tourist
Posted 2007-12-18 11:40 PM (#100926 - in reply to #100923)

Expert Yogi

Since we aren't talking Bikram here, we can call it what it really is - a monologue! Dialog takes two people... both talking.

Anyway, grammar aside, I would not try to memorize the whole thing. Know the poses, know the points (3 max) that you want to cover and let it happen. You will very likely make a goofy mistake and we can have a thread for that if it makes you feel any better. We have all done it. My favourite was "keep your head between your ears," which might have been on my very first 30 minute gig The students will be on your side and wanting your to do well so go ahead and have fun!

Posted 2007-12-19 1:28 AM (#100930 - in reply to #100918)

Hello Sue,

One of the elements of this forum that I often enjoy is the diversity of answers. That, in and of itself, is a bountiful learning opportunity for me.

I'm the sort of teacher who likes to have as much information about the issues playing out in the internet medium as possible. So I too would like to know about your training, style, and any nuances you might share that could help me help you.

Here is how I would suggest a new teacher prepare.
• an inner commitment to teach only those things that you know. These are things that you have brought into your body and will not be overly complex for you to share as a result of that integration.

• think in terms of themes. This will depend on your style of teaching and whether you are teaching the 1st 30 minutes of the class or the last 30 minutes. Standing poses or inversions? General practice or restoratives?

• champion your own clarity. When the teacher is 5% muddled the teachING is 50% muddled. The first two suggestions above will contribute to the clarity mentioned here.

• Centering, centering, centering. For us it is centering the mental aand pelvic forces, surrendering them into the heart center, and transforming them there. For others it is meditation or "quiet time".

With all this in mind, it matters very little whether you have notes or not. I've had them a time or two and not had them many, many times. Class is still class. The only reason nerves respond is our own ego wanting to be liked or being afraid it will be made the fool. If you can let go of your concerns for how you will "seem" then there's no reason to be nervous at all. Make a fool of yourself daily and you'll not often be nervous.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-12-19 1:32 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-19 10:07 AM (#100947 - in reply to #100918)

In your particular case, I would recommend what jimg suggested as the main approach. You should evaluate yourself but NOT judge yourself. But, even that is a practice.

Sue - 2007-12-18 3:40 PM

I've just begun getting my feet wet w/ the whole teaching thing. I'm set to teach about 30 mins. of an hour long class this Friday and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how best to prepare. Is it acceptable to have cheat sheets w/ me? Should I keep them relatively hidden or not? I think I have it down in terms of memorization - I just don't want my nerves to get the best of me (which is totally possible) so I have something to refer to in case I blank during class. Thanks in advance - I've been really enjoying the discussions amongst the teachers here - it's a big help.
Sue
Posted 2007-12-19 10:30 AM (#100954 - in reply to #100918)

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm teaching the first 30 mins. of the class - which is typically a Power or Vinyasa flow class. The good news is that it's a gym & I've been taking the same class for the past 2 years, so I'm at least familiar with the skill level of the participants in terms of how much I need to speak to them on each pose (not much). I've practiced the class for my 18 month old (she finds it riveting!) 3 or 4 times just as I would for a work presentation. I think the nerves for me are a matter of preparation - I know it, I just need to relax and do it.

I'll let you all know how it goes!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)