YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

swasthya yoga...answer needed!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

ALE
Posted 2007-12-20 7:35 AM (#100968)
Subject: swasthya yoga...answer needed!

Hi!
I've just registered 'cause I really hope someone could help me in finding an answer.
In January 2008 I'm planning to start a course in London to become a swasthya yoga instructor. The course should last approx 1 year & it's going to be a 1 2 1 type of course with a dedicated yoga teacher.
Everything sounds good but yesterday a friend of mine, who teaches a different type of yoga, warned me I have to make sure that swasthya yoga is an internationally recognized & registered type of yoga otherwise I will not be able to teach once I finish the course.
I've been searching for an answer or a list of yoga types that are recognized but I had no joy...does anybody know if swasthya yoga is internationally recognized & where in the world it can be taught?
Many thanks for your time & attention,
Ale
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-20 7:52 AM (#100969 - in reply to #100968)
Subject: RE: swasthya yoga...answer needed!

I'm not familiar with that particular course but do you know if it's recognized by Yoga Alliance, i.e., will you be an RYT afterwards? That's the basic criteria for many places in the US to be able to teach.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-20 8:07 AM (#100971 - in reply to #100968)

Dear Ale: There is NO Such a Thing as Swasthya Yoga or Another Yoga or Hot Yoga. Yoga is Yoga and it is a vast topic covering many things. You need to know a) what exactly you wish to learn in Yoga. b) Find place which teaches that thing. c) Then you need to know what you want to teach and why. d) Then find a place that teaches how to teach that thing you want to teach. e) If you are doing it for getting a specific number of teaching classes, specific expected income, etc., then you should find the possible places to teach where you are likely to teach. And, directly ask those places or research them to find what certification, what name, what style, they shall like you to have for such a job.

But, mind well, the world is dynamic, and the previously hot stock may not be that hot today.

Also, what previously satisfied you financially or socially may not later because of the contents.

Therefore, a) if you have good amount of money to spend, do not worry take whatever course, and then change later b) if you have limited money, but unlimited expectation (sorry for the joke), then meet actual experienced teachers around you and see what is going on. Do not assume. If you are in Virginia, definitely meet me. I shall meet you with 10 other teachers and give you a good picture without fees.

I wish you all the best. Swasthya in Sanskrit means = Well Being.

tmarques
Posted 2007-12-20 9:41 AM (#100977 - in reply to #100968)

Swasthya Yoga originated in Brazil, devised by a certain Luiz DeRose, who demands to be addressed as Mestre (yes, "master" - I'm not joking) even by people unafilliated with his school. And by school I mean cult.

I have no idea how it works in other countries, but in Brazil Swasthya classes begin with a mandatory puja. I'll let you guess who students are supposed to reverence.

I don't want to be overly negative, so I won't mention the more outrageous stories concerning these people. Suffice to say DeRose's attorneys must be almost as wealthy as he is. Most of the people taking legal action against him are former instructors who made public a number of documents, letters, memos, etc. written and signed by DeRose himself. I'd share them if they weren't all in Portuguese, but believe me when I say there's some creepy stuff there.

I'm pretty sure the cultish aspects of Swasthya are toned down in other countries, as DeRose is a businessman first and foremost, but I'd still stay away. And this is without taking into account whether they're recognized by the Yoga Alliance, which I suspect they aren't.

Edited by tmarques 2007-12-20 10:05 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-12-20 9:56 AM (#100980 - in reply to #100977)
Subject: RE: swasthya yoga...answer nee

Expert Yogi

We have had several threads regarding this style, many with some fantastic (in the sense of being unbelievable) claims. Do a search over a year if you would like to read them. Are you practicing this style already and wanting to teach because you believe it is the best for you? There are so many avenues to teach yoga, don't jump into the first one that says they will train you to teach unless you believe in it.

I am assuming you are in London England and not London Ontario (or elsewhere). England has a massive yoga community with many, many wonderful and vibrant teachers. BKS Iyengar taught there in his early forays into the West, so I know the Iyengar community is strong, as well as the British Wheel of Yoga. Many great places to look at and think about if you are not 100% committed to Swasthya.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)