YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To all Westerners:
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

PurushaPrakriti
Posted 2007-12-24 2:20 PM (#101058)
Subject: To all Westerners:

Namaskar.

I just happened upon this site as I was searching "yoga classes" on Google as I'm interested in practicing yoga in a structured environment.

Anyway, I have a few questions to all Westerners (Americans, Europeans etc.) who practice yoga.

By learning and practicing yoga, in whatever specific form that may be (Hatha, Bhakti etc.), have you learnt, or were you taught, the underlying principles of yoga and/or Vedanta?

Do you know that Yoga & Hinduism (Sanathana Dharma) are inseparable? Meaning, the real purpose of yoga and the concepts in 'Hinduism' are the same. Therefore, do you accept the fact that those of you who do practice yoga are essentially practicing 'Hinduism'?

To me, a Hindu Brahmin, it seems like the West has just used, or should I say 'cherry-picked' certain ideals from Hinduism and has, or is still, tried (trying) to dissociate those ideals from their roots; yoga from Hinduism. It is tremendously irksome and rather traumatic at times to see that the jewels of India, literally in the case of the British colonialists and Muslim invaders, are being used without giving proper credit, respect, and/or reverence to its roots.

I have lived, and continue to do so, in the US since 1996 and I've constantly been bombarded with article after article, news after news of India's predicament with its poverty, and the so-called 'evils of Hinduism' such as the Caste System (Varnashrama Dharma), treatment of women in Hindu society, and terrible misinterpretations and misconceptions of Hinduism in general; rat worship, widow burning (Sati), etc.

I see that there are several 'schools', if I dare call them that, of yoga here in the US that seem to consciously and intentionally avoid teaching the principles of yoga and just pass it off as alternative exercise to aerobics etc. Not only is this inherently wrong & unethical, but it is a disgrace to Yoga, Hinduism, and Indian/Hindu culture. Although the majority wants to benefit from Hindu wisdom but not give credit to it or India, I do have to say there are a few instructors and practitioners that do acknowledge the roots. Please see this article: http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2007/10-12/09_opinion.shtml

Some people, such as Wayne Dyer and even "Indians" like Deepak Chopra, authorities on yogic principles and yogic wisdom, pout out Hindu knowledge right & left that they learnt at their (Hindu) master's feet but make money--tons of money--off of it, while not acknowledging explicitly that all the ideas & ideals they espouse are essentially taken from Hindu teachings. These people talk as if from personal experience of all the things they discuss. Chopra, a pseudo yogi, not only does not acknowledge that the source of his 'knowledge/teachings' is Hinduism, but actually denigrates Hindus and Hinduism given the chance.

It is extremely disturbing to many Indians and especially Hindus like myself to constantly see Hindus, Hinduism, and India getting trashed and denigrated in the media and/or otherwise. What is worse is when Hindu teachings, practices, and principles are taught around the world but no credit is given. Although I do respect the fact that there is so much interest in Hindu philosophy around the world, little if any news about India and/or Hinduism is positive.

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts on this.

Namaskar.

Edited by PurushaPrakriti 2007-12-24 2:22 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-24 2:25 PM (#101059 - in reply to #101058)
Subject: RE: To all Westerners:

Dear Friend: There is a lot of truth in your post. But, my thoughts are as follows:

1. You (meaning anyone who has similar thoughts) should first follow the system of Yoga and Hinduism in your own practice to the extent that it becomes profound in the knowledge of those around.

2. And, express anything with positive attitude or thoughts rather than frustration.

Because, Hinduism says: Sarve Bhavantu SukhinaH (including Hindus, Christians, and Muslims, and Atheists.)

Om ShantiH.

Posted 2007-12-24 3:48 PM (#101063 - in reply to #101058)
Subject: RE: To all Westerners:

By learning and practicing yoga, in whatever specific form that may be (Hatha, Bhakti etc.), have you learnt, or were you taught, the underlying principles of yoga and/or Vedanta?

yes. most not only teach the basics of whatever their school focuses on (hatha, bhakti, karma, etc), but also the underlying principles--yama and niyama--of the historical/cultural practices.

Do you know that Yoga & Hinduism (Sanathana Dharma) are inseparable? Meaning, the real purpose of yoga and the concepts in 'Hinduism' are the same. Therefore, do you accept the fact that those of you who do practice yoga are essentially practicing 'Hinduism'?

to me, yoga and spirituality are inseparable, but that the yoga practices (such as asana, etc) can be separated out as spiritual disciplines just as prayer is a spiritual discipline of every religion--and it is also in many cases inseparable from that religion.

therefore, i do not see myself as "essentially practicing hinduism" so much as essentially practicing to develop my spirituality or my connection with God/Cosmos--however i may define it.

...should I say 'cherry-picked' certain ideals from Hinduism and has, or is still, tried (trying) to dissociate those ideals from their roots; yoga from Hinduism.

i agree that people are 'cherry picking,' but i'm not sure that i have a problem with it per se.

the truth is, much of what comes out of the vedic traditions is also present--in one form or another--in other traditions. so often, people are finding the "universal truths" of any given religion and applying it philosophically.

personally, i have no problem with this. i know a lot of people who talk a lot about "the golden rule" of christianity, but are not christians, do not acknowledge--necessarily--that this is christian, etc. the only problem that i have with it is when it is used in a trite and 'easy' manner and not in a real wisdom-tradition aspect.

and, i also think that most people recognize that yoga comes from india, or that it's roots are in the vedic traditions, and therefore there's no need to cite that it's an indian or hindu tradition. if they don't realize that yoga comes from india, it won't take them long to figure this out.

yoga here in the US [seems] to consciously and intentionally avoid teaching the principles of yoga and just pass it off as alternative exercise to aerobics etc. Not only is this inherently wrong & unethical, but it is a disgrace to Yoga, Hinduism, and Indian/Hindu culture.

i think that this is true/common. some people are very much afraid of being connected with eastern religions or with religion in general.

i'm not sure if it's inherently wrong, i just question whether or not it is "yoga." to me, if you take out the spiritual aspect of yoga, the purpose of it, then you are not doing yoga. Iyengar even says this in his book, Light on Yoga, where he says that practicing the movements this way is "bhoga."

but i cannot say who is practicing from a "bhoga" perspective and who is doing it from a spiritual or "yoga" perspective. I'm not in their conscience, their experience--so i can't say. i can only know what i do, and only worry about what i do when i practice.

Although I do respect the fact that there is so much interest in Hindu philosophy around the world, little if any news about India and/or Hinduism is positive.

i would say that you have a sensitivity to this issue that others perhaps do not have, and i'm not sure if they "should" have it or not.

personally, i don't see "all of the press about india and hinduism" to be negative. but perhaps that's just because what press i do get/see is positive. most of it is about the beauty of the place, the culture, the process of development, etc. there are negative things too, but i certainly don't see this as the "majority experience" of india.

also, ever since i started seriously studying yoga from a vedic perspective (with a sort of 'comparative religion' perspective, as well as a personal, contemplative aspect), i've longed to go to india and everyone whom i know who has traveled to india as a yogi/ni or not has found the trip to be very personally profound.

i look forward to my opportunity to travel there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)