YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Numbness in pinky finger
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

streudel423
Posted 2007-12-29 11:23 AM (#101227)
Subject: Numbness in pinky finger

Today I took about my 6th yoga class. It was a "fitness" yoga class at our gym. I've never had any problems before, but today was very intense. It was an 1 1/2 hour class. Three instructors rotated and one of the instructors did LOTS of down dogs. I noticed that halfway through class, the OUTSIDE of my left pinky finger was numb! It's now been about an hour and it's still tingling. It's pretty much the outside from the second joint to the tip of the finger.

Is this normal? I've never had any problems before, but like I said, today one of the instructors kept flowing into to down dog. Also, I'm new to yoga so I don't know if it makes a difference, but she FLOWED from one move to the next. Primarily going from down dog to plank. Lots of both of those poses.

Just wondering if I could get some input about my numbness. Is it something that SHOULD go away? I've tried massaging it, but no luck yet.
t

thanks!

Edited by streudel423 2007-12-29 11:27 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-29 11:33 AM (#101228 - in reply to #101227)
Subject: RE: Numbness is pinky finger

Not to worry too much--you've identified the problem--too many down dogs and the weight going to the outside (pinky). You want to practice moving the weight more evenly so it is more distributed along the arc of the thumb/palm forefinger. One way to help get there is to do the "Spock" hand like the attached:

(hand.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hand.jpg (9KB - 34 downloads)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-29 12:55 PM (#101231 - in reply to #101227)
Subject: RE: Numbness in pinky finger

Show it to your teacher. If the teacher can not answer that question, take a private class with another teacher of 30 min to 1 hour. Do not ignore.

Posted 2007-12-29 2:23 PM (#101233 - in reply to #101227)

Hello Shannon,

Some basic information please about you and your background.
Are you male, female, older, younger, active, sedentary...
What is the state of being of your neck please? Do you have any old injuries you can add to this mix for our assessment purposes?

There are several reasons for injury or ache. This would be guesswork with your issue at this point based on what little you share. It may be connective tissue in the hand, it may be caused by repetitive movement, it may be lack of alignment or action supporting weight in the upper extremities.

Numbness can also indicate an issue with innervation to the numb area. The hand is innervated through the cervical spine. So there's the possibility of a pinched nerve or subluxated vertebrae in the neck. If you fancy chiropractic that might be a helpful recourse. No big deal.

If you are pursuing a power, flow, vinyasa practice it might require more mindfulness for you to work around this thing you are experiencing. It may be that this is not the proper practice for you. It may also be that this will pass - given the proper attention - and that your current practice is absolutely right for you. The dualities abound.

streudel423
Posted 2007-12-29 2:41 PM (#101234 - in reply to #101233)

What is the state of being of your neck please? Do you have any old injuries you can add to this mix for our assessment purposes?

I'm a 20 year old female. Very active. I spend about an hour each day at the gym doing cardio/weights. I am still very new to yoga though. No injuries and no known neck problems. I've gone to a chiropractor before when I was having neck tension. Guess it helped a little, but not near enough to be paying $15 three times a week. Can't afford that at the time.

Thank you everyone for the information

Posted 2007-12-29 4:22 PM (#101237 - in reply to #101227)

streudel is fan-tastic.

one suggestion i would make is to work on spreading out your fingers and hands.
fingers and hands, fingers and hands...
see if any fingers or joints in your hand have a tendency to hyperextend.
and as you spread out the hands, feel what happens throughout the forearm and shoulder.
try working on downward dog from hands and knees, and get those hands and fingers spread out, and then push up!
flowing a lot can really take you out of the mindfulness of the little things in the hands.
good luck!

what kind of streudel?

Posted 2007-12-29 10:14 PM (#101246 - in reply to #101234)

The answer then is "no that is not normal".

streudel423 - 2007-12-29 11:41 AM

I'm a 20 year old female. Very active. I spend about an hour each day at the gym doing cardio/weights. I am still very new to yoga though. No injuries and no known neck problems. I've gone to a chiropractor before when I was having neck tension. Guess it helped a little, but not near enough to be paying $15 three times a week. Can't afford that at the time.

Thank you everyone for the information

Posted 2007-12-30 10:29 AM (#101253 - in reply to #101227)

i agree with bruce on this one. it's a misalignment of the hands/weight on hands. sorry no one pointed it out to you. ask the teacher about it, see what s/he says too.

otherwise, you might want to find a better teacher. (a lot of teachers are not good teachers, sorry to say).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)